The mizzu roughing punter call | Syracusefan.com

The mizzu roughing punter call

upperdeck

Living Legend
Clearly one of those strange things the rules dont handle very well.. A bunch of discussions on it.. and it you go look at forums discussions over the years pretty much all the refs have decided the punter has lost the protection on the play.. I dont think had no penalty been called anyone would have complained, but with a penalty everyone but Kentucky seems upset.

The whole term of tackle box is something the rules need to get a better grip on.. No different than a QB running 40 yds back and throwing, and getting hit and saying he has stayed inside the box.. Lets define the box as the area you start in, not something 90 yds backwards, Would that be a crime?

But even so once you snap a ball 40 yds over a punters head he becomes a runner when he picks it up.. No way has he clearly established as a kicker to anyone on the field.

By this rule if you snapped it over a kickers head in the endzone and he tries to punt it punt the back and you tackle him its a roughing call..

Yeah I saw that and was criminal to call that penalty. The announcers were agreeing with the call which I didn't understand. At one point a head ref has to be able to use common sense and pick up that flag.

Here is the replay for those who haven't seen it

Rule should change. You shouldn’t reward a botched snap with punter protection.

Although if the rule stays, just coach kids to know that if the punter picks it up anywhere in the box you have to be careful trying to block the kick

Eh, don't know the context of the play, but I'm sure that the blown call had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

The negatively impacted team could and should have done something to prevent/mitigate. And I'm sure said team had a call (real or imagined) go in their favor at some point previously.

Rule should change. You shouldn’t reward a botched snap with punter protection.

Although if the rule stays, just coach kids to know that if the punter picks it up anywhere in the box you have to be careful trying to block the kick
Apparently the rule was enforced correctly, if this article is correct. But yes it should change. Once the ball is loose on the ground in any way, it should be fair game.

Apparently the rule was enforced correctly, if this article is correct. But yes it should change. Once the ball is loose on the ground in any way, it should be fair game.

I think the whole point of the rule is that the punter is completely incapable of protecting themselves while in the act of punting the football. ergo if you give a guy license to clean his clock any time the snap isnt handled correctly punters are going to get hurt.

As unfortunate as it is, there are many rules in the game of football that are stupid from time to time and are well intentioned at their core. This IMO is just another one of those. Not sure how you can change it, unless you tell teams/punters they aren’t allowed to punt the ball beyond X yards behind the LOS. In which case that punter (and his team) is extra screwed in the situation from the clip above. Perhaps it becomes a “from the spot of the foul” flag after a fumbled snap? I think it just should stay the way it is. Protect the kids

I think the whole point of the rule is that the punter is completely incapable of protecting themselves while in the act of punting the football. ergo if you give a guy license to clean his clock any time the snap isnt handled correctly punters are going to get hurt.

As unfortunate as it is, there are many rules in the game of football that are stupid from time to time and are well intentioned at their core. This IMO is just another one of those. Not sure how you can change it, unless you tell teams/punters they aren’t allowed to punt the ball beyond X yards behind the LOS. In which case that punter (and his team) is extra screwed in the situation from the clip above. Perhaps it becomes a “from the spot of the foul” flag after a fumbled snap? I think it just should stay the way it is. Protect the kids
In that case I guess punt blocks should be outlawed because if the ball is tipped by a player and he drills the kicker there is no flag correct? Couldn’t it be said that he isn’t protected in that circumstance?

the rule is to protect the punter in a clear punting position.. snapping and recovery is not a clear punting position.. The punter protection ends once its not clear if he is running or punting.. No different than rugby style when they slide out of the tackle box. if you choice to punt in a strange way then the protection ends.

says this happened at the 50 and the punter is running away from you and then decided to punt the wrong direction as you are about to tackle him, how would the tackler know he is even punting.

If the punter had tried to throw it at the last second, would they have flagged the defender for
Roughing the Passer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom