The NCAA is a joke ... a bad joke | Syracusefan.com

The NCAA is a joke ... a bad joke

If she had not expressed interest in his program, nothing would have happened. However, she did. Geno had a reason for calling; he should have known better.

If she had not expressed interest in his program, nothing would have happened. However, she did. Geno had a reason for calling; he should have known better.
That's the consensus on our board as well. Some even think he knew full well it would be a violation but did it anyway.

That's the consensus on our board as well. Some even think he knew full well it would be a violation but did it anyway.

Good call. The media attention isn't a bad thing in this case. It didn't shock me that someone snitched on Geno, nor would it shock me if it was more than one school.

Why did he throw their men's team under the bus?

"There's guys playing college basketball driving around in cars that cost more than my house," Auriemma said, "and we're worried about a phone call that I made?"

"There's guys playing college basketball driving around in cars that cost more than my house," Auriemma said, "and we're worried about a phone call that I made?"
Hmmmm, I don't like that at all! I wonder if there's going to be a little push back from Ollie?

You are off base here. Geno never mentioned UConn's men's hoops team-- and there's no implication it's about them either.

College basketball men's violations/ perks are rampant. I agree with Geno. The NCAA is a joke-- there's no rhyme nor reason to what they inforce and this was a very minor thing Geno did. Coach Cal must be laughing his ass off.

Last edited:
iommi said:
You are off base here. Geno never mentioned UConn's men's hoops team-- and there's no implication it's about them either. College basketball men's violations/ perks are rampant. I agree with Geno. The NCAA is a joke-- there's no rhyme nor reason to what they inforce and this was a very minor thing Geno did. Coach Cal must be laughing his ass off.

T.i.c

The article says he checked wit he compliance department first, and nobody figured it would be a problem.

But he has a point about the cars thing

That's right Gnote! preach it. And not only that, I bet everyone of them has a pricey laptop on the seat next to them!

Auriemma grew up in Norristown, PA which is about 15 miles from Philadelphia, and really kind of a suburb of Philly. I imagine he was as captivated by Mo' Ne and Tanney as the rest of Pennsylvania, especially the Greater Philadelphia area, was. It has been repeated that she considers basketball to be her better sport and she really likes UConn, but I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere that she is even a Division I level prospect, to say nothing of the level that would draw UConn's attention.

This just seems like another example of NCAA overkill.

I am a fan of Geno's - he is a good guy. I have no problem with him calling a 13 year-old kid. If anybody thinks that is anything but a nice gesture (that is what it was - a nice gesture) is way off base, IMO.

I do have a problem with the anonymous weasel who called the NCAA. With all of the problems in the world why is anyone getting worked up about a kind gesture towards a kid?

Since when is it news that the NCAA is all screwed up? Way too many nit picking rules; way too much favoritism; way too much focus upon collecting huge sums of money while disregarding the true needs of student-athletes; and my personal favorite; talking out of both sides of their mouth. Jay Bilas recently called them out on this one.
Right now the NCAA realizes that the major conferences are eventually going to leave and create their own governing group; thus the current ruling that allowing the power conferences to compensate their student-athletes as they choose. This will only delay the inevitable.

Comes out the same day as Penn St's penalty for covering up boys being raped is about the same as UCONN for APR.

What would a school have to do to get the death penalty now? Cannibalism, maybe. The hypocrisy of the NCAA is breathtaking. Worth a quote of scripture: "You blind guides, you strain out a gnat but swallow a camel." Matthew 23:24

What would a school have to do to get the death penalty now? Cannibalism, maybe. The hypocrisy of the NCAA is breathtaking. Worth a quote of scripture: "You blind guides, you strain out a gnat but swallow a camel." Matthew 23:24

Not be a money earner in the P5. I expect we'll see East Pennsylvania School for Nurses get the death penalty for having unauthorized gatorade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom