The new ACC... | Syracusefan.com

The new ACC...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Had this been the ACC of last year, UNC would probably be crushing a Maryland or Va Tech right now.

However, the good ol' boys will no longer be able to lallygag their way into the ACC semifinals/finals with the influx of Big East teams. I cannot wait until Louisville enters this conference next year. Talk about culture shock for ACC old timers.

Um...UNC beat Louisville this year.
2378130-0052475139-umad..gif

Not mad at all. Just pointing out a fact. UNC plays tough teams every year.

I get that. Hell, UNC might come back and win against pitt. All I was saying was that the cakewalk for Duke and UNC in the ACC tournament is over.
It's never a cakewalk for UNC. They have very questionable effort games every year. It's happened every year under Roy.

It's never a cakewalk for UNC. They have very questionable effort games every year. It's happened every year under Roy.

I think our points can coexist.

Yes, UNC has "effort games" every year. With the likes of Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville entering the conference, "effort games" will not be good enough. All they will get UNC is an "L".

Same thing happened to good Syracuse teams in the old Big East tournament.

I wouldn't say it was a cakewalk, but the level of competition was far inferior. A lot of years it was Duke and Unc teams looking ahead to the big dance, playing against desperate teams trying to get in.

I think our points can coexist.

Yes, UNC has "effort games" every year. With the likes of Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville entering the conference, "effort games" will not be good enough. All they will get UNC is an "L".

Same thing happened to good Syracuse teams in the old Big East tournament.

The effort games happen against teams like Clemson and Virginia Tech. Pitt is a clearly better than those but the effort was lacking for most of the game. It's not hard to get up for Syracuse, Louisville, etc.

I guess, as an outsider, I don't get the hate for the ACC/south. Syracuse and Pitt are part of the ACC now. The Big East is pretty much dead. Then again, I don't care about other teams in the ACC. When UNC is out, I don't care who wins it.

I should point out that UNC is making a bit of a run as I'm typing this so I'm sort of rambling. Sorry. I don't mess with mojo.

I wouldn't say it was a cakewalk, but the level of competition was far inferior. A lot of years it was Duke and Unc teams looking ahead to the big dance, playing against desperate teams trying to get in.

Isn't that every conference? There are 3 or 4 good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams. Crazy things happen in most tournaments but overall it's the same.

Isn't that every conference? There are 3 or 4 good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams. Crazy things happen in most tournaments but overall it's the same.

It is for sure, but the op was just making the point that the talent level has picked up significantly. There is a huge difference in playing a team like pitt in the quarterfinals, then a team like va tech or fsu.

In the Big East we would have at least one top 25 match up in the quarters. Our 6OT game with UConn featured two top 20 teams and took place in the quarters. We had played Pitt in the quarters last year and we were both in the top 25. Recently, the ACC tournament hasn't really had great match ups until the semis or even the finals some years.

It's different this year and will be even worse next year with Louisville. The ACC is stronger now and that's good for everyone.

Pitt did this all the time in time in the Big East. Play like hell in the league and the tournament and then epic fail in the Big Dance. They need to show up in the NC and bring some glory to the conference , otherwise I don't respect them.

Once Maryland leaves, and Louisville joins, we'll really just be the ACC in name only. It's essentially a merger with the Big East.

At that point the 15 will be 8 ACC, 7 former BE members. Heck, the conference tournament will be in Brooklyn in a couple of years.

In the Big East we would have at least one top 25 match up in the quarters. Our 6OT game with UConn featured two top 20 teams and took place in the quarters. We had played Pitt in the quarters last year and we were both in the top 25. Recently, the ACC tournament hasn't really had great match ups until the semis or even the finals some years.

It's different this year and will be even worse next year with Louisville. The ACC is stronger now and that's good for everyone.

In 2010 BET quarters (AO injury game) #1 seed SU was playing a ranked G'town team.

I'm pretty sure UNC puts a very low priority on the ACC tournament. Roy phones it in to get ready for the big tourney. Look at the history. Pitt couldn't beat that team if they were trying.

I'm pretty sure UNC puts a very low priority on the ACC tournament. Roy phones it in to get ready for the big tourney. Look at the history. Pitt couldn't beat that team if they were trying.

When the Pac 10 decided to resume their tourney in the early 2000's Lute Olsen basically admitted to not giving a crap if Arizona won.