The New CFB Free Agency look... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The New CFB Free Agency look...

Agreed but buried players have to sit when they transfer as long as they sit than it’s fair

Why do you think players, a student-athlete, should have to sit but coaches, a paid employee switching to a competitor, should be able to switch without restrictions?

lol, and the exact opposite could be true. Or maybe the first mistake was choosing the initial school and because they can't transfer without penalty, they stay where they're at and still fall into oblivion. Man, can you imagine if you lived your life like that meme?

I just don't get why we believe we know what's best for these players.
I thought we were talking about what was best for the sport of college football. Though, in all honesty, I believe those things are one in the same. The problem is, we started down that slope years ago, and there is no getting back up without some real hard decisions that involve money. What’s best for college sports - and for student athletes - will never happen.

It’s only real if they get a waiver to play right away . No way is Martel getting a waiver . Fields getting one is a joke . If Martel gets a waiver it will set a legal precedent that could trigger a mass exodus at alll positions and IMO cause the rich to get richer . What would it teach these kids ? Run from competition? Have no loyalty? Be a me me me player on a team sport ? You would be crippling them , crippling them for life .
It also messes over loyal, incumbent players. Look at Martell-He feels the need to transfer after working patiently behind the scenes, while someone makes up a bogus excuse and cuts right in front of him.

Completely theoretical.

Let's say TD didn't start his frosh year, because of a porous OLine. The next year, a Trevor Lawrence comes in. No fault of his own, but now he has to transfer for playing time, with only 2 years to play -a believed 4 year starter at almost any school.

Yeah, that's the biz of CFB. Gotta think that happens to tons of kids. In that case, he gets hosed, because he guessed wrong, not because of effort, commitment,ability, or hard work. Be nice to have a solution.

Completely theoretical.

Let's say TD didn't start his frosh year, because of a porous OLine. The next year, a Trevor Lawrence comes in. No fault of his own, but now he has to transfer for playing time, with only 2 years to play -a believed 4 year starter at almost any school.

Yeah, that's the biz of CFB. Gotta think that happens to tons of kids. In that case, he gets hosed, because he guessed wrong, not because of effort, commitment,ability, or hard work. Be nice to have a solution.
First off not to sound cocky but TD Is complete a Qb top to bottom as you wil. find , a Jr or Sr Qb that’s in trenched already is one thing but someone in your class or behind you have to stay and fight . I get what your saying and to each there own but again as long as they sit one year to stop any mass exodus that could cripple a team and teammates

First off not to sound cocky but TD Is complete a Qb top to bottom as you wil. find , a Jr or Sr Qb that’s in trenched already is one thing but someone in your class or behind you have to stay and fight . I get what your saying and to each there own but again as long as they sit one year to stop any mass exodus that could cripple a team and teammates

My issue with "could cripple a team" is that it can be applied to all teams, thus everyone is still on an even playing field.

Like I said, completely theoretical. Yes, they should stay and fight.

My guess, is that every kid faced with a transfer decision, finds it complete BS . Fans and coaches like it, because they are more focused on keeping an advantage, than the kid.(imo). By design, it's to keep the kids at the same place. Better for the team, but not always better for the kid.

Frankly, I don't know what the best solution is.

Last edited:
The only way it’s fair is if the head coach allows the transfer and than the kid doesn’t sit but I don’t see a HC letting a good player leave

Tommy plays football at a P5 school. He's not going to be short on exposure. and good football players are found at all levels of CFB. Really has nothing to do with exposure anyhow. The point is, do you really want kids making decisions, not liking the short-term outlook, and bailing at their first possible opportunity?

Devito could easily have done that after being behind Dungey for two years. Instead, he got a fair amount of reps last year and now will be better for it this year. Good things come to those who wait. The cut-and-run culture is not something I'd want to see cultivated any further.[/QUOTE/]

I want the kids to make their own decisions based on what they interpret as best for themselves. This whole “do you really want kids deciding xxxxx” is bologna cheese. It’s their life to live and their mistakes and successes to learn from and live with. We treat 18 years as the beginning of adulthood. That means making their own decisions, good or bad.

Pretty soon there will be all of those salary cap considerations.

I think most players not good enough to start at their old school need the redshirt year getting stronger and learning the playbook to not suck or be buried at the new school.

But college sports with all the turnover and guys having only 4 years to play lacks big names. Special rules for guys that everyone knows from when they were HS players and high profile recruits is fine by me these guys bring the attention and ratings.

The comparison between athletes and PhD students doesn’t work because college football depends on some degree of parity for the system to work. It exists for he competition itself. Because of that, it’s reasonable to enact rules that allow a certain number of schools to at least be competitive with each other. Nobody cares if Syracuse’s PhD program is competitive with Clemson’s.

I don't buy the rich will get richer argument. The Top 10 in recruiting already get the vast majority of 5 stars. It's not like they are all of a sudden going to get a ton more 5 star recruits. Plus, the reason you see so many players going into the portal is because they can't get off the bench. If the rich get richer then you will see the same thing going on. Lastly, they still only get 85 schollies.
Two examples say otherwise

Ohio State to Miami
Alabama to Oklahoma

Those two QBs go to Maryland or NC State, then their outlook for next year improves at least two wins

Two examples say otherwise

Ohio State to Miami
Alabama to Oklahoma

Those two QBs go to Maryland or NC State, then their outlook for next year improves at least two wins

So, Miami is rich? Since when did they win anything? And if it could be argued they are rich, doesn't that mean OSU became less rich? Well, they got the QB from Georgia, so it's net even, right? Everyone is limited to the same number of scholarships. kids are going to move to wherever they best have a chance to start. Hell, we got a 4-star QB from Oklahoma (didn't work out), a 4-star RB from OK, and a 4 star WR from MSU all in the last 5 years. Poor SU has become richer from the transfers.

A couple of points -

1. There is no "NCAA-wide transfer rule." Each sport gets to decide how they want to handle transfers. Per this article only D-1 baseball, basketball, football, and men’s ice hockey make you sit out the year.

Nothing has changed here at all except for now there's a portal.

The only thing that will make it crazy is if the NCAA starts allowing waivers - some of which seem arbitrary. You really should only get a waiver if immediate family members are extraordinarily sick (ie dying) or you have child responsibilities. I don't think there's any in between on this. If you don't meet that criteria you have to sit out.

Being allowed a waiver because you claim someone said something mean to you doesn't fly. It sets a bad precedent.

If you want to do the kid a favor, make him sit out but don't make him lose a year of eligibility. Taking away a year of eligibility is stupid and penalizes the kid.

2. I'd say over 90% of the players in the transfer portal are graduate transfers, I would hope few folks would have a problem with their being allowed to play immediately. The waiver situation has gone crazy and I no longer understand the criteria. If a regular transfer hasn't been redshirted, they can give up the redshirt as the year they sit out and not lose eligiblity.

Interesting that there's no mention of team members of the College Quiz Bowl, or the chess team, or equestrian sports...

3. Those are club endeavors not under NCAA jurisdiction, so they "don't count", even though Equestrian is a varsity sport at some schools (to build up their Title IX numbers). I'd like to see athletes be allowed to transfer and play immediately if the coach leaves, as well as when a school is put on probation.

Last edited:
The students should be free to transfer whenever and wherever they want. Jay Bilas put it well when he said these transfer rules are dressed up non-compete clauses for players that everyone bends over backwards to tell us aren't employees.

If people truly cared about "teaching life lessons" and "loyalty to a program and commitment" then they would push for equal if not more stringent restrictions on coaches who switch programs. But they don't because it's just about having and maintaining power over the student-athlete and fans who want what's best for the program they follow and not the kid.

This.

A couple of points -

1. There is no "NCAA-wide transfer rule." Each sport gets to decide how they want to handle transfers. Per this article only D-1 baseball, basketball, football, and men’s ice hockey make you sit out the year.

2. I'd say over 90% of the players in the transfer portal are graduate transfers, I would hope few folks would have a problem with their being allowed to play immediately. The waiver situation has gone crazy and I no longer understand the criteria. If a regular transfer hasn't been redshirted, they can give up the redshirt as the year they sit out and not lose eligiblity.

3. Those are club endeavors not under NCAA jurisdiction, so they "don't count", even though Equestrian is a varsity sport at some schools (to build up their Title IX numbers). I'd like to see athletes be allowed to transfer and play immediately if the coach leaves, as well as when a school is put on probation.

It was really a tongue-in-cheek response to a policy I find to be similar to 18th century indentured servitude.

The comparison between athletes and PhD students doesn’t work. Nobody cares if Syracuse’s PhD program is competitive with Clemson’s.
I get your point, but this assertion is incredibly wrong. That ranking has as much if not more impact on applicants and enrollment as any athletic venture.

I think most players not good enough to start at their old school need the redshirt year getting stronger and learning the playbook to not suck or be buried at the new school.

But college sports with all the turnover and guys having only 4 years to play lacks big names. Special rules for guys that everyone knows from when they were HS players and high profile recruits is fine by me these guys bring the attention and ratings.

Compared to college hoops, the CFB model preserves the name value, what's wrong with holding onto kids for their entire college career for the most part?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom