The new guy on Channel 5 | Syracusefan.com

The new guy on Channel 5

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jonathan Singh, who recently joined the sports team in the local Sinclair stations, (3 and 5), just did a sports report by Zoom, (Sinclair is still having trouble with their ransom ware), in which he carefully explained the following:

"Syracuse wants to go to a bowl game. A bowl game is a 'one-and-done' playoff game for the good teams. The bad teams don't get to go."

I always wondered... :cool:

3 and 5 share sports reporters now? That's interesting.

3, 5, and 6 have shared reporters for years under the name "CNYCentral".
I haven't lived in the area for 13 years. That's an interesting change for affiliates of the major networks. In Knoxville the local fox and cw stations use the NBC and CBS people for their entire news broadcasts.

I haven't lived in the area for 13 years. That's an interesting change for affiliates of the major networks. In Knoxville the local fox and cw stations use the NBC and CBS people for their entire news broadcasts.

Years ago Ch 5 got rid of their entire news department, except for Michael Benny.

Benny anchors the local news using local stories / weather / sports provided by Ch 3, and national stories from CBS.

Although since the Sinclair hack, Ch 5 has been simulcasting Ch 3's news broadcast.

Years ago Ch 5 got rid of their entire news department, except for Michael Benny.

Benny anchors the local news using local stories / weather / sports provided by Ch 3, and national stories from CBS.

Although since the Sinclair hack, Ch 5 has been simulcasting Ch 3's news broadcast.
That makes me a bit sad. Moving to Knoxville showed me just how good local newscasters were in CNY. Many of them leave much to be desired here.

Last edited:
Jonathan Singh, who recently joined the sports team in the local Sinclair stations, (3 and 5), just did a sports report by Zoom, (Sinclair is still having trouble with their ransom ware), in which he carefully explained the following:

"Syracuse wants to go to a bowl game. A bowl game is a 'one-and-done' playoff game for the good teams. The bad teams don't get to go."

It sounds like he thinks we are a bad team and don't deserve it. Am I the only one reading it that way?

It sounds like he thinks we are a bad team and don't deserve it. Am I the only one reading it that way?

I think he thought he was talking to a kindergarten class.

Or was a member of one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Since the ransom attack it has been must watch as there are comedic gaffes every night on the 10 PM news. Also their reporters just vanish and then re-appear so I am assuming they do months on one channel and then rotate.

I always find it hilarious with these tv stations and broadcasters in general have such poor quality equipment when it comes to streaming compared to the "amateurs" who stream on twitch etc.

Within 10 years you won't even see Local news in most mid-sized to smaller cities. The world has changed so much since the '80s and '90s. Everyone with a smartphone just goes there to get news or if it's a big story they go to CNN, FOX, MSNBC.

With sports, people just go to their smartphone or ESPN, NFLN, MLBN.

Local news is all but dead and is going the way of newspapers.

Maybe he thought he was sticking that into the financial hour, so viewers might not be aware.

if the local news goes away then how does anyone find out anything at all. the big news doesnt cover anything outside of national stories for the most part..

I dont remember the last time I went to NFLN or MLBN to find out anything about those sports. But then I am still in the mode I dont get my news on my phone either.. I have 3 news paper subscriptions as well but what I really miss is the local stories you used to get in the local papers, now you never find out anything as no one covers most of those stories at all any more..

30 yrs ago if the local teams played the story was in the paper, if there was an accident it was reported, if a business opened or closed you could find out. now crickets

Within 10 years you won't even see Local news in most mid-sized to smaller cities. The world has changed so much since the '80s and '90s. Everyone with a smartphone just goes there to get news or if it's a big story they go to CNN, FOX, MSNBC.

With sports, people just go to their smartphone or ESPN, NFLN, MLBN.

Local news is all but dead and is going the way of newspapers.
I think it really depends on the area. Where I live, the people eat up everything local. The local stations have even expanded to starting at 4:00 where the first hour is a similar format to Kelly and Ryan.

if the local news goes away then how does anyone find out anything at all. the big news doesnt cover anything outside of national stories for the most part..

I dont remember the last time I went to NFLN or MLBN to find out anything about those sports. But then I am still in the mode I dont get my news on my phone either.. I have 3 news paper subscriptions as well but what I really miss is the local stories you used to get in the local papers, now you never find out anything as no one covers most of those stories at all any more..

30 yrs ago if the local teams played the story was in the paper, if there was an accident it was reported, if a business opened or closed you could find out. now crickets
Yeah, the world has changed. All of the stuff you are looking for is on smartphones and on platforms such as Nextdoor, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. That's where the vast majority of people under 45 people go to get their local news.

And these companies are going to cater to the market and soon (within 10 years) that means the end of local news as it will be too much of a financial loser and they can't keep up with the speed people can get local info on their smartphones and social networks.

TV Local News is going the way of Newspaper and Shopping Malls. It will be the next big domino to fall in our ever-changing world.

I think it really depends on the area. Where I live, the people eat up everything local. The local stations have even expanded to starting at 4:00 where the first hour is a similar format to Kelly and Ryan.
That's not people eating up local programming, that's the network being cheap!! The reason they expand programing to 4:00 by you is that it's "cheap". The people working that extra hour (on-air or behind the camera) aren't getting paid for that extra hour it's just "part of their job". So it's cheaper for the local network to make them work an extra hour at no cost to them than it is to go find and pay for a syndicated game show/talk show or whatever they would air in that 4:00 time slot.

That's not people eating up local programming, that's the network being cheap!! The reason they expand programing to 4:00 by you is that it's "cheap". The people working that extra hour (on-air or behind the camera) aren't getting paid for that extra hour it's just "part of their job". So it's cheaper for the local network to make them work an extra hour at no cost to them than it is to go find and pay for a syndicated game show/talk show or whatever they would air in that 4:00 time slot.
No. It's different people that host the 4:00-5:00 show than those that work the newscast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom