The obligatory Cooney Thread | Syracusefan.com

The obligatory Cooney Thread

T

tee1222

Let's face it. He didn't start off well yesterday. Front rimmed a bunch, first shot was an airball.
I was worried early. Even though this is an exhibition, he needs to hit some of those. It's his job.

But then I found this.
Aside from the legs, hot gym, endurance...it looks like he learned a decent lesson, which many of us were pointing out last night.

"Getting to the basket definitely gives yourself a rhythm," Cooney said. "I wish I would have done that a little earlier."

That's it! If they cover you tightly, don't want to give you space, put the ball on the floor and make things happen in the lane or for your teammates. I am not saying he is this masterful penetrator, but if he can make things happen with a few bounces, it will give him some confidence and keep the defense a little more honest.

Not giving up on him, but he's got to build on these mistakes, apply them to the next day. I hope he does. We could certainly use the points at the 2.

Btw, just to add - this is exactly what he did on two nice assists, one to a wide open CJ three. I think the other one was a wide open shot for a teammate. Just getting into the lane makes the defense collapse, leaving someone open. He did penetrate and score another time, goofed one, but it got results.

He's a guard. Even a scoring guard can distribute and when he did, it gave people easy shots.

Slow day at work, aka I don't want to do stuff.
Pretty ratty and rainy out here in NJ. Can't say I blame you. Now, time to prep a little more for the final interview.
Still with you, I don't want to do anything else but enjoy the board today.

Let's face it. He didn't start off well yesterday. Front rimmed a bunch, first shot was an airball.
I was worried early. Even though this is an exhibition, he needs to hit some of those. It's his job.

But then I found this.
Aside from the legs, hot gym, endurance...it looks like he learned a decent lesson, which many of us were pointing out last night.

"Getting to the basket definitely gives yourself a rhythm," Cooney said. "I wish I would have done that a little earlier."

That's it! If they cover you tightly, don't want to give you space, put the ball on the floor and make things happen in the lane or for your teammates. I am not saying he is this masterful penetrator, but if he can make things happen with a few bounces, it will give him some confidence and keep the defense a little more honest.

Not giving up on him, but he's got to build on these mistakes, apply them to the next day. I hope he does. We could certainly use the points at the 2.
I told Southerland last year that he needs to make a 10-12 footer before taking a 3 to get into rhythm. Cooney needs to do something similar.

I told Southerland last year that he needs to make a 10-12 footer before taking a 3 to get into rhythm. Cooney needs to do something similar.

I recall in the BET Gtown game he did exactly that before having a great 1st half shooting the 3 ball.

Just my take, but I think Cooney is just a hot and cold guy, as the vast majority of shooters are. He's pretty solid in other aspects, though. He's not a liability in the zone and has a decent enough handle.

Obviously every team would love to have a game in and game out shooter, but with the likes of Gbinije, Patterson, BJ etc. all bringing something different to the off ball position, it's not the end of the world if Cooney has some cold nights.

You guys know him better than I do, but my 2 cents.

But then I found this.

If there is a guy on this team we need to shoot himself into the flow of the game and get comfortable its cooney. I hate that he struggled but love that he got 14 shots up. He clearly has a consistent form going in practice and shootaround. He just needs to find that in games and the only way is to keep after it. What he brings to the game, when he is successful is just pure energy. Additionally - there is nothing more satisfying than seeing the opponent have an "oh sh&za" moment when a guy who is a wildcard gets hot. I have faith in trevor lets hope he shuts up all the doubters this year.

Unfortunately you didn't tell him in the Final four game.

Finally drove to the rim late second half and crammed it. Wish he did that 30 minutes sooner.

I might get some heat for this, but maybe Cooney is not a 3 point shooter. I actually like him better when he drives to the basket. He is built like a fullback, like Brandon triche, and should be able to power his way to the rim. And if he wants, stop and hit a 2pt jumper.

If there is a guy on this team we need to shoot himself into the flow of the game and get comfortable its cooney. I hate that he struggled but love that he got 14 shots up.

See, I hate it. Too MacNamara-esque for my liking.

If you need that many shots to get in rhythm, that's not a rhythm this round man wants to dance to.

But then I found this.

Spot on here, Tee. Cooney is a better athlete than he is given credit for. He's capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting into the lane from time to time. If teams continue to close out hard, give them a shot-fake and drive by. From there, pull up, or get it all the way to the rack. I said in a different post that Trevor will be an "assassin" for us this season. After last night's start, I was re-thinking my prediction and let out a few choice words, but the dunk and the two late 3's renewed my confidence in him. I'll stand by my prediction that Cooney turns into a sharpshooter for us this year. He just needs a couple of good games to give him the confidence he needs.

See, I hate it. Too MacNamara-esque for my liking.

If you need that many shots to get in rhythm, that's not a rhythm this round man wants to dance to.

It is a catch 22. CJ and Jerami jump out immediately to me as two of our top options to get points on the board with Tyler coming next. All three ( Tyler from a smaller sample size) do so with efficiency and less shots/better accuracy. That works well until you come up against a team that defensively forces you to be a bit more selfish and make plays off the bounce or force the issue a little. Trevor right now comes to me as the only guy for that role. James had that role last year. We need Trev to get himself going even if that takes some extra shots. I don't see our offensive rebounding regressing, and that was a key element to off-setting our poor shooting last year. So I don't care for having that strategy either, but you need a guy willing to shoot himself into the game if he is your X-factor. We were spoiled with Andy/Wes being so efficient and then having Dion/Scoop being so good at getting into the lane and scoring at will. Even with Kris Jo we got some consistency from deep. Last year we bricked a lot but played good D, rebounded well and still made the FF.

It is a catch 22. CJ and Jerami jump out immediately to me as two of our top options to get points on the board with Tyler coming next. All three ( Tyler from a smaller sample size) do so with efficiency and less shots/better accuracy. That works well until you come up against a team that defensively forces you to be a bit more selfish and make plays off the bounce or force the issue a little. Trevor right now comes to me as the only guy for that role. James had that role last year. We need Trev to get himself going even if that takes some extra shots. I don't see our offensive rebounding regressing, and that was a key element to off-setting our poor shooting last year. So I don't care for having that strategy either, but you need a guy willing to shoot himself into the game if he is your X-factor. We were spoiled with Andy/Wes being so efficient and then having Dion/Scoop being so good at getting into the lane and scoring at will. Even with Kris Jo we got some consistency from deep. Last year we bricked a lot but played good D, rebounded well and still made the FF.

This will sound crazy, but if we're going to have someone not nicknamed Thickburger (but let's be honest, they're all nicknamed Thickburger) taking 14 shots a game, the player I'd most like to see become that guy is Coleman. The problem with a long range "marksman" that needs to take a lot of shots is that they can shoot the other teams in to transition opportunities.

If your volume shooter is a post player though chances are good he's getting fouled a lot and his misses are getting rebounded with nearly the full 94 feet to go to the other hoop. In Coleman's case though, it looks like he'd turn it over a ton and get packaged on a lot of the shots, so... I mean, basically, the only player that should take a lot of shots is Fair.

This will sound crazy, but if we're going to have someone not nicknamed Thickburger (but let's be honest, they're all nicknamed Thickburger) taking 14 shots a game, the player I'd most like to see become that guy is Coleman. The problem with a long range "marksman" that needs to take a lot of shots is that they can shoot the other teams in to transition opportunities.

If your volume shooter is a post player though chances are good he's getting fouled a lot and his misses are getting rebounded with nearly the full 94 feet to go to the other hoop. In Coleman's case though, it looks like he'd turn it over a ton and get packaged on a lot of the shots, so... I mean, basically, the only player that should take a lot of shots is Fair.

I see your point, and as for coleman that would be great as long as that means he is on the floor for 20-25 minutes a game to get those shots. The flipside to your point is offensive rebounding. If Cooney is putting those up and shoots 34-36 % and we rebound 33% of his missed - good chance that turns into a net of 50-55% even if it was an extra possession to do so. If Coleman shoots 45% and the missed are mostly blocked shots/strips and we rebound 10 % or less - well you get the picture. I think we have inside scoring nailed down even if its not a lot of post ups in the old fashioned sense. Where its thin is on the outside. Also if Cooney never does "warm up" then the whole point of additional shots is pointless anyways. CJ needs the most shots but he needs at least a few others to be willing to make an effort to be a threat outside the paint to provide proper spacing. I still think that Ennis will be good enough from outside to help take that pressure off a little but will need help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom