The Officer | Syracusefan.com

The Officer

Yegorange

Starter
The kid's a gamer. To lead the team to within 10 points of both #1 and #2 in the country as a 5th string walk-on QB? Nothing short of amazing.

Oh, and Dungey can play a little too. People are selling Lester way too short. I'm no x's and o's guy, but today's scheme worked - against a very good D. And he does have an eye for QBs, doesn't he?

Right, peple will say LSU and today were exceptions - they coached with nothing to lose. Yes, again there were a few head-shaking calls, but I think they are learning from mistakes. Also today's fake punt was a good and gutsy call.

The next 2 games will really determine Scott's fate. I don't think a concrete decision has already been made by Coyle and BOT. Even with feelers schmeelers. That would just be due diligence anyway. IMO he and staff should (and likely will) get the next year (regardless of the extension issue) barring embarrising losses to NC St and BC. But that won't happen hopefully.

The kid's a gamer. To lead the team to within 10 points of both #1 and #2 in the country as a 5th string walk-on QB? Nothing short of amazing.

Oh, and Dungey can play a little too. People are selling Lester way too short. I'm no x's and o's guy, but today's scheme worked - against a very good D. And he does have an eye for QBs, doesn't he?

Right, peple will say LSU and today were exceptions - they coached with nothing to lose. Yes, again there were a few head-shaking calls, but I think they are learning from mistakes. Also today's fake punt was a good and gutsy call.

The next 2 games will really determine Scott's fate. I don't think a concrete decision has already been made by Coyle and BOT. Even with feelers schmeelers. That would just be due diligence anyway. IMO he and staff should (and likely will) get the next year (regardless of the extension issue) barring embarrising losses to NC St and BC. But that won't happen hopefully.

Agreed, gotta give props to the coaching staff (especially Lester) for the QB play this year. Mahoney was playing at community college last year and now he has competed against 2 top 5 teams. Lester understands the type of QB that fits his offense and he's very good at developing them.

Yegorange said:
The kid's a gamer. To lead the team to within 10 points of both #1 and #2 in the country as a 5th string walk-on QB? Nothing short of amazing. Oh, and Dungey can play a little too. People are selling Lester way too short. I'm no x's and o's guy, but today's scheme worked - against a very good D. And he does have an eye for QBs, doesn't he? Right, peple will say LSU and today were exceptions - they coached with nothing to lose. Yes, again there were a few head-shaking calls, but I think they are learning from mistakes. Also today's fake punt was a good and gutsy call. The next 2 games will really determine Scott's fate. I don't think a concrete decision has already been made by Coyle and BOT. Even with feelers schmeelers. That would just be due diligence anyway. IMO he and staff should (and likely will) get the next year (regardless of the extension issue) barring embarrising losses to NC St and BC. But that won't happen hopefully.
I want to see Mahoney start the next 2 games. I want to see what he can do against lesser teams. We already know he can compete well against really good teams.

I want to see Mahoney start the next 2 games. I want to see what he can do against lesser teams. We already know he can compete well against really good teams.

Much as I like Zach and the sentiment, if Eric is declared healthy by team doctors - notwithstanding Bud's expert Holiday Inn denouncement of his 3 "concussions" - he should play. Those reps will help him for next year regardless of who the coaches will be.

Much as I like Zach and the sentiment, if Eric is declared healthy by team doctors - notwithstanding Bud's expert Holiday Inn denouncement of his 3 "concussions" - he should play. Those reps will help him for next year regardless of who the coaches will be.

I honestly believe running Lester's system with Mahoney gives us best chance to win. I think dungey is better qb overall but not running this system. He can't not take big hits

I honestly believe running Lester's system with Mahoney gives us best chance to win. I think dungey is better qb overall but not running this system. He can't not take big hits

Have to agree there: Zach seems to be a more intelligent runner. But though his arm is a little better than Dungey's, Eric has better touch. Both fit Lester's system though, I think.

Did we win? No? Then I guess we are back to moral victories count. So we are 3-7 and 2.

We are so bad we can't remember what good is.

Apparently you don't understand what rebuilding a program is about. Your username crusty fits. You seem to be crusty on all aspects of your post. Against the number one team in the country, the coaches COACHED and the players PLAYED and ended up short. However, most of us can see that if we can continue to get more play makers on the field we can begin being more competitive. In the meantime, feel free to continue being miserable if that makes your life feel better. The rest of us will continue supporting what is on the field and things we CAN'T CONTROL. GO SU!!

Apparently you don't understand what rebuilding a program is about. Your username crusty fits. You seem to be crusty on all aspects of your post. Against the number one team in the country, the coaches COACHED and the players PLAYED and ended up short. However, most of us can see that if we can continue to get more play makers on the field we can begin being more competitive. In the meantime, feel free to continue being miserable if that makes your life feel better. The rest of us will continue supporting what is on the field and things we CAN'T CONTROL. GO SU!!

Nicknack you are certainly entitled to your opinion, which might be better received without ad hominem attacks. I am also entitled to mine. Please feel free to put me on ignore.

I ardently supported this staff for 3 years and I have every right to get off the train. You may think you see something but many of us do not. You will just have to live with that.

What will happen will happen and what we do and say here won't change a thing.

been saying this since early on, kids' got a little Flutie in him. Good overachiever for is size. He can cement this with a win or two the next couple of weeks, cuz take it to the bank Dungy is going to heal up the rest of the year.

I know that it is silly to add another opinion and to top it off I am not much of a football fan. Syracuse is a basketball school and we are among the least desirable football coaching destinations among p-5 schools. As far as football, the NE is a wasteland compared to the SE and mid-west where people live and die for football. Any new coach that might sign on will be out of here in a flash if he wins.

A second reason to give SS another year is that it is all about talent. SS is upgrading our talent. Give him another year to see what he can do with improved talent. Often times the big difference between 3 stars and 4 is that the 3 need more time to physically mature. Next year we will have improved 3 star players, and we have verbals from some skill players that are more highly touted than we are accustomed to.

As far as X and O's, the staff seems to be learning. There is no reason to think that they will not benefit from experience.

As an outback football school our only ace in the hole is the same one that JB used to make us a basketball destination. It is important to have a football coach that bleeds orange and provides stability.

People point to Pittsburg as school that changes coaches with abandon. We are in a less desirable location. For a school like us, changing coaches is playing with fire. I am not saying that we should never change. Robinson was an obvious disaster but when I weigh the whole ball of wax, recruiting and game planning, I conclude that SS deserves another year. The W/L record does not tell the whole story. We are far more competitive than last year. This year team would kick the snot out of last years. Progress is being made. Let's give it one more year.

Worst case is that we have another losing year. Is that really such a big deal given our recent history?

Last edited:
I feel like Mahoney runs the system better, whether Lester calls a different game with Zach, or what - I don't know. You go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win, right?

The kid plays his guts out. Who can't love that?

But we got 320 yards. The O still isn't good.

I was thinking the same thing. Mahoney runs the offense well. Dungey's a little banged up anyway, I'd like to see how they both do next year after muscling during the off season.

Scooch said:
The kid plays his guts out. Who can't love that? But we got 320 yards. The O still isn't good.

Clemson's D is ranked #5 giving up an avg of 287yds. 320 ain't bad. 97 yard drive longest they've given up all year.

I think today was a bit of fools gold - but it was impressive.

TheCusian said:
Clemson's D is ranked #5 giving up an avg of 287yds. 320 ain't bad. 97 yard drive longest they've given up all year. I think today was a bit of fools gold - but it was impressive.

320 yards IS bad, but it's alright relatively because we were playing Clemson and almost none of it was through the air.

320 yards IS bad, but it's alright relatively because we were playing Clemson and almost none of it was through the air.

FSU had 40 more yards than us against Clemson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom