The only 2 things I can criticize in the game | Syracusefan.com

The only 2 things I can criticize in the game

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
1) Leaving in the starters at the end. You're winning by 4 scores-Why leave Nassib, Chandler Jones etc. on the field when all they can do is get hurt? Why not get Loeb and other 2nd-stringers into the game for the last 5 minutes?

2) Halfback option pass. At that point in the game was very risky and unneccessary. It was almost like they had it planned for this game and felt like they had to use it b/c the game was going to end soon.

Yeah the halfback option pass was curious. I wonder if they were throwing it out there so future defenses will have to think about it.

1) This program is learning to win, and desperately needs to learn how to close out games. I had zero problem with the starters playing the whole game.

2) That was the perfect time to throw the HB pass. Came right after that 1st down penalty, still deep in WVU territory, so it was either going to be a big completion, incomplete or an INT that was as good as a punt.

To me the only thing to criticize in that game was the bizarre offensive approach after the red zone pick at the end of the first half. I'm cool with being aggressive there, but the QB draw on 2nd down that failed and set up the 3rd and long, along with WVU not calling time, should have been Hackett's cue to just burn the clock. I'm not worked up over it at all, but there's a chance WVU could have punched in a late score, and that changes the momentum heading into halftime.

But I'm not going to complain when Marrone & Hackett are being aggressive unless it's something that's totally brain dead. I want these guys to keep throwing the kitchen sink at every opponent.

Halfback option pass. At that point in the game was very risky and unneccessary. It was almost like they had it planned for this game and felt like they had to use it b/c the game was going to end soon.

Why did the do it? Because they could.

Like the game announcers said, that play was a bully play. The game was well in hand, so why not pop-em in the jaw one more time...just so they remember us.

To me the only thing to criticize in that game was the bizarre offensive approach after the red zone pick at the end of the first half. I'm cool with being aggressive there, but the QB draw on 2nd down that failed and set up the 3rd and long, along with WVU not calling time, should have been Hackett's cue to just burn the clock. I'm not worked up over it at all, but there's a chance WVU could have punched in a late score, and that changes the momentum heading into halftime.

Ditto was the only time I remember saying What. WVU was letting us run it out by not using their 2 TO's. Why we did anything that could potentially stop the clock, which it did on 3rd down, is beyond me. But that was such a perfect game in all ways that I'm not gonna get all fired up about 1 moment.

Why did the do it? Because they could.

Like the game announcers said, that play was a bully play. The game was well in hand, so why not pop-em in the jaw one more time...just so they remember us.
Maybe Oliver Luck's comments during the preceding week were posted on the bulletin board.

I
1) This program is learning to win, and desperately needs to learn how to close out games. I had zero problem with the starters playing the whole game.

I hear what you're saying, but if Nassib or Chandler Jones got hurt with 2 minutes left and SU up 4 scores, I have a feeling people would feel differently. Just b/c it didn't happen, doesn't mean it couldn't have.

Yeah the halfback option pass was curious. I wonder if they were throwing it out there so future defenses will have to think about it.

On the otherhand, the WVU defense was so shocked by the play, their two defenders were nowhere near close to Lemon and thus had no chance to knock the ball down.

On the otherhand, the WVU defense was so shocked by the play, their two defenders were nowhere near close to Lemon and thus had no chance to knock the ball down.
I like to think it was just Antwon perfectly executing the back-shoulder throw. ;)

The biggest negative to me was reading here that there were 2 fights in the Dome. I know things happen, but that better be a one time thing, Dome is anti-NFL, needs to stay that way. If it's an away fan starting crap, just have the usher remove them. Nothing worse than spending all that money to travel to a game and not be able to watch it because you are a moron. So that's how you win that "fight".

Oh, and if there's one thing that will have Cantor shut down the selling beer policy, that's it.

I do also remember saying that if WVU completed that hail mary to end the half I was probably going to break my TV, but I quickly got over that when Geno's pass didn't even make it to the 20. Thanks gravity.

2) That was the perfect time to throw the HB pass. Came right after that 1st down penalty, still deep in WVU territory, so it was either going to be a big completion, incomplete or an INT that was as good as a punt.

Problem is that it was 1nd and 18 on that play and we were within FG range. It wasn't a punt situation, and it would have hurt not to have put points on the board. If WVU gets the INT and scores, it would have been a 12pt lead. I thought it was a bit too risky at that point...plus ant has a terrible arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom