The person who needs Dirty back most of all... | Syracusefan.com

The person who needs Dirty back most of all...

jekelish

Living Legend
Not to get away from talking about a good, solid win, but watching the game tonight made me realize that one player in particular needs Dirty to come back more than anyone else, and that's Brandon Triche.

Triche is forcing things an awful lot, and frankly, he was pretty much bad tonight. He's the type of player who is going to be a good second best shooter on the court, but whenever he's asked to be the go-to shooter, there's a solid chance he's going to let that get into his head. At least, that's what it feels like. He, more than anyone else I think, needs Dirty to come back and take some pressure off of him not only as a scorer in general, but as a shooter specifically. I think he can be a terrific shooter when he's the second perimeter threat, but again, he just seems to force things and feel pressure when he's the first and/or only perimeter threat.

Just an observation/opinion. I really think that, if/when Dirty comes back, we'll see Brandon benefit as much as anyone.

I think I need him back most. Playing at less than full strength is killing me.:)

Bad and didn't shoot well are two completely different things. 6 assists, 5 rebounds and only two turnovers. Mcw had 8 assists and 1 turnover.

Not to get away from talking about a good, solid win, but watching the game tonight made me realize that one player in particular needs Dirty to come back more than anyone else, and that's Brandon Triche.

Triche is forcing things an awful lot, and frankly, he was pretty much bad tonight. He's the type of player who is going to be a good second best shooter on the court, but whenever he's asked to be the go-to shooter, there's a solid chance he's going to let that get into his head. At least, that's what it feels like. He, more than anyone else I think, needs Dirty to come back and take some pressure off of him not only as a scorer in general, but as a shooter specifically. I think he can be a terrific shooter when he's the second perimeter threat, but again, he just seems to force things and feel pressure when he's the first and/or only perimeter threat.

Just an observation/opinion. I really think that, if/when Dirty comes back, we'll see Brandon benefit as much as anyone.
Triche certainly will benefit from a Southerland return. He's certainly been forcing some shots the last 2 games. But don't forget his game against LVille. And his clutch plays at the end vs. Cincy. Or his putting us in position to win vs. Nova.

The point is--he has always been a streaky shooter, and his 3-point stroke is off right now.

Not all bad plays show up in a box score. I love Brandon, and I've long been one of his most ardent supporters. But he was far from good tonight.

Either way, my point stands. He above everyone else, I think, needs Southerland back to take some pressure off.

Not all bad plays show up in a box score. I love Brandon, and I've long been one of his most ardent supporters. But he was far from good tonight.

Either way, my point stands. He above everyone else, I think, needs Southerland back to take some pressure off.
Define "far from good". He had 5 rebounds, 6 assists and a steal. And played point for 10 minutes.

The whole team needs him back.

Triche, 2-4 from 2, 3-3 from the ft line, 5 rebs, 6 assts to only 2 to's, 1 steal, good dee. good floor game. all good.

0-5 from 3. the bad.

except for not hitting 3's, i thought he was very very solid. he made that angle pass into fair all night long.

He was passive, had several passes deflected, had a couple dumb defensive plays. This was not his finest game by any stretch. And again, I love Triche. I'm one of the few who has been touting him as a potential NBA player since he was a freshman. But he was not particularly great tonight.

He was passive, had several passes deflected, had a couple dumb defensive plays. This was not his finest game by any stretch. And again, I love Triche. I'm one of the few who has been touting him as a potential NBA player since he was a freshman. But he was not particularly great tonight.
I don't think he had "several" passes deflected, or he would have had more than 2 turnovers.

I don't think he had "several" passes deflected, or he would have had more than 2 turnovers.
He absolutely did. Not every deflected pass results in a turnover. He wasn't terrible, but he was far from stellar. That's all I'm saying. And my main point is that I think he's putting pressure on himself as the primary perimeter option without Dirty in the lineup. Brandon has always come across as the type of kid who thinks way too much about things, and I just think this is one of those cases.

He absolutely did. Not every deflected pass results in a turnover. He wasn't terrible, but he was far from stellar. That's all I'm saying. And my main point is that I think he's putting pressure on himself as the primary perimeter option without Dirty in the lineup. Brandon has always come across as the type of kid who thinks way too much about things, and I just think this is one of those cases.
Don't want to get into a spitting match, but. . .

You just said he was "far from stellar".

Your original post said "he was pretty much bad tonight".

Big difference.

Don't want to get into a spitting match, but. . .

You just said he was "far from stellar".

Your original post said "he was pretty much bad tonight".

Big difference.
Yes, I'm the only person who has ever used hyperbole and then rephrased it.

I'd say he played a very good game...based solely on his defense.

Touchy here tonight after a big win. Would love to see brandon hit some threes, but we're getting better. The sky is not falling! Anyone else notice this board is busier after a loss?

I thought he might have a springboard to dominate after LVille... but, he's a hard guy to read game to game. His 3 point shot was coming off at different release points again tonight. It's like he can't figure out how he wants to shoot those. Reggie Miller said it best.."It can be ugly...if they go in". His need to go in more often.

I thought he might have a springboard to dominate after LVille... but, he's a hard guy to read game to game. His 3 point shot was coming off at different release points again tonight. It's like he can't figure out how he wants to shoot those. Reggie Miller said it best.."It can be ugly...if they go in". His need to go in more often.
Agree completely. I don't know that I've ever seen a guy at this level whose shot looks so wildly different from one game, or even one shot, to the next. That's the sign of a guy who is thinking about his shot rather than just shooting it.

The person who needs Southerland back the most is James Southerland. This is his audition for the NBA and he's glued to the bench.

Well, since you're on an island with this post, I'll just post that I agree with you (except for the hyperbole). I don't know that it's in his head, or he's just an average shooter that gets hot sometimes.

As soon as you posted this I knew you were going down in flames for it though... :)

Yeah, he's streaky, always has been. I didn't think it was an outstanding game either - better than he was against Pitt, but still a drop-off from where he was for the month and half prior to that. No big deal, happens to everyone, and he did a pretty nice job late handling the ball. The ball movement was good though, and it should help open it up for everyone going forward.

Well, since you're on an island with this post, I'll just post that I agree with you (except for the hyperbole). I don't know that it's in his head, or he's just an average shooter, that gets hot sometimes.

As soon as you posted this I knew you were going down in flames for it though... :)

Yeah, he's streaky, always has been. I didn't think it was an outstanding game either - better than he was against Pitt, but still a drop-off from where he was for the month and half prior to that. No big deal, happens to everyone, and he did a pretty nice job late handling the ball. The ball movement was good though, and it should help open it up for everyone going forward.
You know, and my main point wasn't really about his performance tonight, in particular. It was that he's just not great in the "go to shooter" role. He's a very good second shooter, and a pretty poor primary shooter. That's the point I was really trying to get at. Dirty coming back will take sooooo much pressure off of him.

You know, and my main point wasn't really about his performance tonight, in particular. It was that he's just not great in the "go to shooter" role. He's a very good second shooter, and a pretty poor primary shooter. That's the point I was really trying to get at. Dirty coming back will take sooooo much pressure off of him.

Yeah, certainly something to be said for that. He shot his best during his Frosh year when we had a lot of shooters.

I agree, I thought triche played poorly tonight. He had some sloppy passes and missed some wide open shots. I'm not trying to be critical but I feel like this team goes as far as he takes us in March. I believe when he is playing the way he is capable of playing we are unbeatable. We beat an awesome Louisville team undermanned because he played the way we all know he can play. I thought Bilas said it perfectly, he is our leading scorer who should be scoring 20 pts a game, not 15 pts. He needs to demand the ball though, he allows MCW to control the ball entirely too much and that is when we get into trouble.

i think you are thinking more than him.

The whole team needs him back.

Triche, 2-4 from 2, 3-3 from the ft line, 5 rebs, 6 assts to only 2 to's, 1 steal, good dee. good floor game. all good.

0-5 from 3. the bad.

except for not hitting 3's, i thought he was very very solid. he made that angle pass into fair all night long.

BT and MCW both were very strong at the top of the zone this evening... Good game for both

Then maybe say that instead of saying "he was pretty much bad tonight". Just a thought. Might help get your hidden point across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom