The plane of the goal line | Syracusefan.com

The plane of the goal line

SWC75

Bored Historian
Watched NFL Red Zone today. There were two plays in the Lions game that cause me to wonder who made us the rules. In the first one Calvin Johnson caught a pass, fell forward into the end zone and, upon hitting the ground, bobbled the ball. But he clearly had it in his possession as he crossed the "plane of the goal line".
Later the Lions scored a touchdown when a running back held the ball over the plane and almost simultaneously got it slapped out of his hand and backwards into the arms of a defender. The refs ruled the first one an incomplete pass and the second an offensive touchdown.

If all you have to do on a run is break the plane of the goal line, that's all you should have to do on a pass.

Didn't see the Calvin play yet, I think (emphasis on think) the idea is that you need to control the ball on the catch before just breaking the goal line. A running back obviously establishes possession as soon as he gets a handoff. If Calvin catches a pass at the 10 yard line and then dives for the endzone, then breaking the plane would be enough. But maybe he didn't have possession established before he broke the goal line? Or will the replay make me wrong?

Didn't see the Calvin play yet, I think (emphasis on think) the idea is that you need to control the ball on the catch before just breaking the goal line. A running back obviously establishes possession as soon as he gets a handoff. If Calvin catches a pass at the 10 yard line and then dives for the endzone, then breaking the plane would be enough. But maybe he didn't have possession established before he broke the goal line? Or will the replay make me wrong?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ken-away-him-weird-replay-173941738--nfl.html

This was easier to justify taking away than the one a few years ago. But the whole "process of making a catch" terminology is ridiculous.

This was easier to justify taking away than the one a few years ago. But the whole "process of making a catch" terminology is ridiculous.

Seriosuly though. You have two hands on the ball nad you have it under control = catching a ball. I despise this whole "need to make a football move" garbage.

Edit: same with the needing to maintain possession through the ground. Once your elbow/knee/as$ hits the ground it's a catch imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom