The problem with Brandon's team being Brandon's team ... | Syracusefan.com

The problem with Brandon's team being Brandon's team ...

billsin01

All American
.. Is that whether he's a freshman or a senior, BT isn't a great kind of player to build a team around. Before everyone starts hyperventilating, I'm not suggesting he's a bad player or has been a bad leader or that our recent struggles are all his doing.

Rather, there's an intrinsic value in a player's ability to achieve some level of consistent scoring against conference opponents -- those opponents that know him and the team and the coaches the best and can gameplan for them appropriately.

While BT's overall numbers in BE play are OK and he's been more consistent than in year's past, his production is still all over the place. When he's on, we're pretty good. In his seven "best" BE games this season (RU, @USF, @l'ville, @nova, SJU, @SHU, Provy), Triche is averaging 21.4 ppg on 55%/49% shooting. That is unreal and, obviously unrealistic to expect for any prolonged stretch of time ... unless you're lebron. The team is 6-1 in those games (7-0 if they don't flub up the Nova game) and failed to reach 70 points just once, a comfortable win over USF.

In Triche's "bad" games (the remaining 8 games), however, Triche has not only averaged a paltry 9.4 ppg on 28% from the floor and ... wait for it ... 7.3% -- yes, you read that correctly -- 7.3% from three. The team was 4-4 in those 8 and reached 70 points just three times, the last time vs. Marquette which basically occurred by jacking threes in desperation.

So what does this mean? Well, it doesn't mean triche has actually been a bad player in all those games (he had 8 assists last night, for example). It also doesn't mean that most players aren't prone to at least some statistical variations over the course of a 15-game stretch -- though a guy like Fair is much more consistent.

But it does go to show that this team's success is tied in many ways to Triche's ability to score and Triche's ability to score runs with his ability to make shots. And, well, that ability comes and goes with the wind. Let's hope, I guess, that we get the best six-game stretch of his career this march.

Except that it isn't really Brandon's team in the sense that he is the acknowledged leader on the court, or the one who often provides the answering basket in a tough situation. MCW more controls the play, and Fair is the dependable scorer.

Brandon has size and ability but he has always been streaky. He does well against some defenses and not others; he can get going in one half, and not so much in the next. If he can get out and run, or feels inspired to drive (against teams that can't defend), or gets some open looks, he can be a serious difference-maker.

On occasion (Cincy game), he can get it done in the last 5 minutes when we need to make something happen. Good teammate; not his team.

One of the problems is Brandon's unwillingness to get in anyone else's face. You have to talk to your teammates throughout the game and too often, I see Brandon quietly heading towards the sideline during timeouts. Scoop, Andy, even Jonny...those guys never did that.

I try not to read into player's personalities and you can't fault a kid for being who he is, but it's killing us. Southerland is a senior, but he's too much of a goofball. MCW is immature and inexperienced. I think the best shot the team has for leadership is CJ. I'd love to see him chew out a teammate or demand the damn ball. Something to let the others know that he expects smart basketball.

One of the problems is Brandon's unwillingness to get in anyone else's face. You have to talk to your teammates throughout the game and too often, I see Brandon quietly heading towards the sideline during timeouts. Scoop, Andy, even Jonny...those guys never did that.

I try not to read into player's personalities and you can't fault a kid for being who he is, but it's killing us. Southerland is a senior, but he's too much of a goofball. MCW is immature and inexperienced. I think the best shot the team has for leadership is CJ. I'd love to see him chew out a teammate or demand the damn ball. Something to let the others know that he expects smart basketball.

I kind of disagree with this actually. Well, I don't really disagree with the general point that you need guys who are willing and able to be vocal leaders and that we may be short of that this season.

But really, I think the issue with BT (and I don't mean to imply that there aren't other problems outside of BT) is that he's being looked to as this team's go-to scorer, to a large degree. And, regardless of personality and expectations, he's simply not good enough either shooting or getting the basket to be that guy on a consistent basis. That's a big problem for this group.

The only chance is for that immature guy (MCW) to grow up fast. He is the one guy who does talk to teammates and who demands the ball. Part of that, though, is giving up the ball (getting Brandon into the mix as primary ball handler from time to time; getting CJ the ball), and making better decisions. No jump passes to the opposing team; no impossibly long passes to teammates. Make the smart plays that make your teammates better.

Except that it isn't really Brandon's team in the sense that he is the acknowledged leader on the court, or the one who often provides the answering basket in a tough situation. MCW more controls the play, and Fair is the dependable scorer.

Brandon has size and ability but he has always been streaky. He does well against some defenses and not others; he can get going in one half, and not so much in the next. If he can get out and run, or feels inspired to drive (against teams that can't defend), or gets some open looks, he can be a serious difference-maker.

On occasion (Cincy game), he can get it done in the last 5 minutes when we need to make something happen. Good teammate; not his team.

I guess my point was that regardless of who's handling the ball and who is the more dependable scoring threat, we are at a place where most of our success hinges on how well Triche plays. Christmas is who he is, MCW's not going to be a scorer this season, CJ is consistent, Southerland is a consistent threat who draws a lot of attention when he's out there. Really the only wild cards are Grant (probably needs more minutes, even if it's at the expense of Keita/Christmas) and Triche. But of those two, Triche is the one logging about 40 mins per game.

I also think JB was saying this was "triche's team." But, regardless of how you want to define it, we depend on scoring from a guy who's scoring depends on 3-pt shooting. And, not only is he a 28% 3-pt shooter, but even those numbers are deceiving when you consider he's had a few games where he's absolutely gone off from three.

I forget which analyst it was that said it, probably Jay Bilas, but when BT starts out a game by hitting a few shots early on, he's usually going to have a good game the rest of the way.

He's one of those guys that we need to get going early, which is frustrating because as a guard, you expect that they're ready to go at any time and it's the big guys we need to get going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom