The Problem with the Offense | Syracusefan.com

The Problem with the Offense

Orijinal

All Conference
This probably oversimplifies it ...but this is one major problem (conundrum) with the offense that a new offensive coordinator is going to have to figure out:

Schmidt is an excellent offensive line coach for the run game. However, it looks like he leaves some things to be desired in pass blocking (although some of this was on too many personnel changes at tackle)

Another major problem with the offense in the past 3 years is the lack of pass protection in 3rd and long. I'm talking 3rd and 7 or more..

Dino has not figured out how to get his line to pick up pressure ...and Schmidt, Gilbert, and Lynch haven't worked any wonders here either

We absolutely need a coordinator with a deep understanding of pass protection if we are going to find success in the pass game. It's not just get a receiver open ...it's keep your QB clean for 4 seconds.

If we can't find that guy, we are going to continue to have problems moving the ball. Teams will keep loading up to stop the run and daring us to throw

For the season, we had a half a yard advantage over our opponents per play

This should've been a seven win season with normal special teams and coaching which would have been pretty good considering our choices at QB were a guy who can't throw it and a guy who won't throw it

This should've been a seven win season with normal special teams and coaching which would have been pretty good considering our choices at QB were a guy who can't throw it and a guy who won't throw it
Well, that's good news, I guess. I would still believe that half yard advantage came because of Schmidt and Tucker ...and not because of anything we did in the pass game. And I absolutely agree with you about Shrader ...he always wanted to run first

I guess the other question I would like to ask is ...what was our percentage converting 3rd down on offense? We have been told 40% is the average. Do you know what our's was?

Would be interested in what those numbers look like vs P5 programs. I could probably figure it out with some effort that I don't want to make. I think the 500ish yard difference against Albany is throwing those numbers off a lot.

This probably oversimplifies it ...but this is one major problem (conundrum) with the offense that a new offensive coordinator is going to have to figure out:

Schmidt is an excellent offensive line coach for the run game. However, it looks like he leaves some things to be desired in pass blocking (although some of this was on too many personnel changes at tackle)

Another major problem with the offense in the past 3 years is the lack of pass protection in 3rd and long. I'm talking 3rd and 7 or more..

Dino has not figured out how to get his line to pick up pressure ...and Schmidt, Gilbert, and Lynch haven't worked any wonders here either

We absolutely need a coordinator with a deep understanding of pass protection if we are going to find success in the pass game. It's not just get a receiver open ...it's keep your QB clean for 4 seconds.

If we can't find that guy, we are going to continue to have problems moving the ball. Teams will keep loading up to stop the run and daring us to throw
For those with more acumen... did you notice any differences in basic technique? Stance, hand placement, leverage, etc? I'm curious if Schmidt felt like he had to go back to basics and do remedial training, in which case they might have chosen to shore up the run technique first.

Well, that's good news, I guess. I would still believe that half yard advantage came because of Schmidt and Tucker ...and not because of anything we did in the pass game. And I absolutely agree with you about Shrader ...he always wanted to run first
I agree with that. I think the pass game was hopeless regardless of scheme

For those with more acumen... did you notice any differences in basic technique? Stance, hand placement, leverage, etc? I'm curious if Schmidt felt like he had to go back to basics and do remedial training, in which case they might have chosen to shore up the run technique first.
Everything was addressed at the most basic technique level. LOTS of new stuff, more tools in the tool box. Just look at Bergeron's improvement with more solid fundamentals.

If you can't run? You can't do anything. From top to bottom, improved fundamentals. I expect blitz pick up to improve, now that the foundation has been set to build on.. Its why Schmidt was a priority to be retained.

*Bergeron's overall PFF grade improvement.
2020. 53.5
2021. 74.6

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Thats technique.

Last edited:
Would be interested in what those numbers look like vs P5 programs. I could probably figure it out with some effort that I don't want to make. I think the 500ish yard difference against Albany is throwing those numbers off a lot.
I don't have the numbers handy but other teams also murder their Albany's, I don't think it mattered here even though I had the same suspicion as you

We moved up the combined rankings by limiting to p5 but those rankings include the D1 teams that got murdered in their one vs p5

In other words I limited to p5 opponents not p5 vs p5

if you have a tackle that just gets run over. not sure how much coaching can help. pitt didnt need to stunt to disrupt the plays much of the time.

much like the WR issues , when stunts happened the semi complex stuff was beyond a talent issue.

next yr we dont try to play a kid at center who should been RS, so then Vet goes back to tackle where he was Ok. Hopefully the LG comes back healthy. Servais played 2 yrs on one leg, too bad for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom