The REAL issue: "Are you better-off now, then you were 4 years ago"? | Syracusefan.com

The REAL issue: "Are you better-off now, then you were 4 years ago"?

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
I know that after that long, dreary election this question can induce nightmares...but seriously, its the only issue on the agenda.
Is SU football better off? Are we on the upward trend and leaving the "GRob Malaise" in the rear-view mirror?
Obviously the answer is an emphatic YES- so I for one ain't hating on HCDMarrone and the choices he made. And if his departure forces the BOT to upgrade & take SU football more seriously, then his work here was well done.
Godspeed, Coach Marrone...and hello, HCS Shafer(?)
rock1.gif

I know that after that long, dreary election this question can induce nightmares...but seriously, its the only issue on the agenda.
Is SU football better off? Are we on the upward trend and leaving the "GRob Malaise" in the rear-view mirror?
Obviously the answer is an emphatic YES- so I for one ain't hating on HCDMarrone and the choices he made. And if his departure forces the BOT to upgrade & take SU football more seriously, then his work here was well done.
Godspeed, Coach Marrone...and hello, HCS Shafer(?)View attachment 1779

Well said, my fellings as well, still would have loved to have HCDM but I'm now on the HCSS train.(with a strong need for some OCNH.)

Godspeed, Coach Marrone...and hello, HCS Shafer(?)View attachment 1779

I won't disagree that we are in a better place. However, I would suggest that the REAL REAL issue (can I do that) is what does this say about the position of Hed Football Coach at Syracuse University. If we cannot get a guy like Doug Marrone to stay here, even with the slower than expected funding, who will stay? Fine, we don't have the facilities right now that Clemson or UNC has. We did renovate Manley and more is apparently coming once the money hits. NFL money is great, but he wasn't going poor working here either. Either we have even less of a name in college football than I thought and/or this administration is harder to work for than some of us thought.

I will be honest, I have never understood the need to go for a big payout over what will probably be a short period over a long-term job security and a nice "annuity." He really did the hardest part over the last 4 years and would have been able to enjoy the fruits of his hard work for many years. I don't say that simply because we also have Boeheim on campus; I say that because I fundamentally believe even mildly successful college coaches have a longer life expectancy than even very successful pro coaches. Marrone bought himself at least 3 or 4 crappy years with the rescue job he did at his alma mater. How he has gone for the big payday; Ask Spurrier how jumping to the pros worked out.

If this team has a nice run in 2013 or 2014, who here doesn't believe we will lose HCSS and be back in the same position we are right now? I like the guy but I don't see him sticking around, and that is what can kill a program. Hope I am wrong.

I won't disagree that we are in a better place. However, I would suggest that the REAL REAL issue (can I do that) is what does this say about the position of Hed Football Coach at Syracuse University. If we cannot get a guy like Doug Marrone to stay here, even with the slower than expected funding, who will stay? Fine, we don't have the facilities right now that Clemson or UNC has. We did renovate Manley and more is apparently coming once the money hits. NFL money is great, but he wasn't going poor working here either. Either we have even less of a name in college football than I thought and/or this administration is harder to work for than some of us thought.

I will be honest, I have never understood the need to go for a big payout over what will probably be a short period over a long-term job security and a nice "annuity." He really did the hardest part over the last 4 years and would have been able to enjoy the fruits of his hard work for many years. I don't say that simply because we also have Boeheim on campus; I say that because I fundamentally believe even mildly successful college coaches have a longer life expectancy than even very successful pro coaches. Marrone bought himself at least 3 or 4 crappy years with the rescue job he did at his alma mater. How he has gone for the big payday; Ask Spurrier how jumping to the pros worked out.

If this team has a nice run in 2013 or 2014, who here doesn't believe we will lose HCSS and be back in the same position we are right now? I like the guy but I don't see him sticking around, and that is what can kill a program. Hope I am wrong.
The man came FROM the NFL so he knows what that world is about. He obviously has a headstart on alot of other college coaches without NFL experience- and decided that the time was right. It was a wise decision, IMO- where's Buffalo gonna go, but UP? No one is expecting a Bills playoff bid next year, so he's due for a lengthy honeymoon.
I somewhat agree with the stature of SU football, in that this shows us in no uncertain terms that we are behind in the football arms race. The ACC money will help, but at some point our admins will have to invest HEAVILY in facilities to keep this program at a decent, competitive level.
SU was never a destination job- we're like a Gonzaga or Butler in bball. Those programs, along with the Boise's of the world, have maintained their success and there's no reason why we can't as well. All we can realistically hope for is that a DM or SS leaves the program in better shape than they found it.
I too had hoped Marrone was a "lifer" like Jimmy B...but those dinosaurs don't come around any more. It is what it is.

Long term job security like P had? Guy had 1 losing season and we showed him the door.

There might be more Spurriers, Sabans, and coach Macs out there but that doesn't mean there aren't also Harbaughs and Switzers.

1 mil a year for 10 years, even 2 mil for 10 years or 35 mill for 1 contract and then most likey a job as an assistant if it doesn't work out...NFL pays WAY more than college and especially SU, NFL moneys isn't great, it's downright friggin insane!!!!

Spurrier left the Gamecocks for the NFL, Carrol left the Trojans for the NFL, Saban left LSU, Butch Davis left Miami. It's not like Marrone left us to be the coach at another college. He left for the NFL and even the best of the best can't stop their coaches from doing that.

Long term job security like P had? Guy had 1 losing season and we showed him the door.

There might be more Spurriers, Sabans, and coach Macs out there but that doesn't mean there aren't also Harbaughs and Switzers.

1 mil a year for 10 years, even 2 mil for 10 years or 35 mill for 1 contract and then most likey a job as an assistant if it doesn't work out...NFL pays WAY more than college and especially SU, NFL moneys isn't great, it's downright friggin insane!!!!

Spurrier left the Gamecocks for the NFL, Carrol left the Trojans for the NFL, Saban left LSU, Butch Davis left Miami. It's not like Marrone left us to be the coach at another college. He left for the NFL and even the best of the best can't stop their coaches from doing that.

I think we've gone over the many reasons behind Paul's exit; no need to rehash. Some of those losses were downright fugly. And I'm not sure how much he built; he received a program on solid footing and it eventually eroded to the point where he was let go.

While Spurrier actually left UF for the NFL and then arrived back in the college ranks with the Gamecocks, I often wonder how much easier his job would have been over the last 10+ as a famous alum who was a successful coach on the same campus. At some point, one would be able to pull back slightly and "coast" to some extent. Instead he spent a few miserable years in Washington andeventually returned to the college ranks. Of course, after spending some time in Gainesville (I spent a week there one day), I can understand why he might want to get out of town.

The odds of success are far lower in the NFL as a head coach than what is possible in college. "Success" is something Saban certainly has achieved, same with Spurrier and perhaps even Marrone given our lower expectations than the typical SEC school. Jumping to the pros from that is a huge risk, and perhaps that is what drives Doug and others like him. I coach my kids and work in an office so what the &$#% do I really know about coaching at the highest level; just means I'm wired differently I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom