The shooting problems - team thinking too much | Syracusefan.com

The shooting problems - team thinking too much

chakka3421

All Conference
I don't post much here and I don't know if anyone has posted this but at the angle I have at games looks like our guys are shooting sideways, hesitating, dribbling into a mess and just thinking too much. I haven't looked at any replays but I point out to the spouse and others around me that both Cooney & CJs body motion on their shots many times their body slides sideways on a shot. When they both go straight up or step into a shot, it generally goes in especially off a pass (no dribbling please). Also when CJ catches a pass he now hesitates, many times dribbles into a mess, then takes an off balance sideways shot. An exception to the rule might be JG as he is a freak and can make crazy off balance shots but he may be the only one.

It's also how the current teams we have just played are able to almost beat us is they dribble drive then pass back where the opposing teams's players is waiting then they step into the shot - getting much higher percentage shots than us. Everyone around me have been noticing this and we now are almost predicting when shots are going in or not - either for us or the opposition.

I know some here think they are not making their open look shots. I say they aren't taking advantage of their open looks because of hesitation, dribbling, or coming off a screen and shooting sideways. Perhaps they are just thinking too much and should let the game come to them and just play.

Good post, and it's a symptom or cause of a few things I've been saying. On some of these "missed bunnies" Fair's shot / form has looked off to me. I noticed this weeks ago, and wrote it off to him being left handed. "it looks weird, but it goes in most the time".

Last night, I noticed how little contact he was drawing. Yours is a good explanation as to why. He's not set. Add in my perception that he's not attacking the rim and that's a really bad combo.

Despite or success over the past few years we have struggled to produce a strong half-court offense.

This year we could have really used Southerland or a D-Nich or Onuaku or Rick Jackson for a post-up game. Any one of those 4 dudes and we'd have a much better half court team. I'm sure our defense would crumble but when we are struggling for offense I REALLY wish we had Eric Devendorf around, that dude scored points at will!

The problems this year are no different than last year at this time, we just have lost less close games.

1. We have a Senior who is suppose to lead our team that is becoming a black hole and losing confidence. Fair=Triche.
2. We have a talented first year pg who we think we can get more out of.
3. We have an inconsistent shooter we want more out of.
4. Rak is still Rak.

Last year all of these things turned around. Triche started playing better. James got hot and mcw played like an All American. We need the same improvements we saw at the end of last year, this year.

2009-10, Rautins, Triche, Scoop, Wes, Kris, and Rick all average more than 2.5 assists / 40 minutes. This season, only Ennis and Silent G average more than 1.8.

Everyone one the team is a black hole. SU is playing low-tempo ball and if someone gets passed the ball, they're taking the shot. There are no dribble drive kickouts, or dump passes in the paint.

Low-tempo offense + 1 (sometimes poor) look at the hoop = low point totals.

Cusefan0307 said:
The problems this year are no different than last year at this time, we just have lost less close games. 1. We have a Senior who is suppose to lead our team that is becoming a black hole and losing confidence. Fair=Triche. 2. We have a talented first year pg who we think we can get more out of. 3. We have an inconsistent shooter we want more out of. 4. Rak is still Rak. Last year all of these things turned around. Triche started playing better. James got hot and mcw played like an All American. We need the same improvements we saw at the end of last year, this year.

Triche was a black hole last year? First time for that opinion. Triche didn't even lead the team in attempts, Fair did. And this year Fair has taken 150 more than anyone.

Triche was a black hole last year? First time for that opinion. Triche didn't even lead the team in attempts, Fair did. And this year Fair has taken 150 more than anyone.
Triche whether people liked him or not could put the ball on the floor and drive, also could find open team-mates for easy baskets, and score, get a shot off when needed. This year the only person we have is Ennis, who can do those things, and that's part of the offensive problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom