The Spartan Refs | Syracusefan.com

The Spartan Refs

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Meet-the-Spartans-thumb-560xauto-24801.jpg

Tim Higgins in the middle Jim Burr on the right when they were Spartans

"They live like Spartans and they’re health fanatics,’’ Art Hyland the Big East’s supervisor of officials said."

Jim+Burr+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Second+km128InHwSsl.jpg

tim-higgins-large.jpg

The centuries of travel have taken their toll on these two warriors

Ha. Read that article this morning...then choked on my twinkies, donuts and Irish Creme before getting on the treadmill. ;)

Way too funny Orangeyes. SNL should do a skit like that.

The centuries of travel have taken their toll on these two warriors

Di and I both LOL'ed at that. Too funny.

Ha. Read that article this morning...then choked on my twinkies, donuts and Irish Creme before getting on the treadmill. ;)

You must have a stash, b/c Hostess went out of business.

Hostess didn't go out of business, they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, which means they plan on restructuring their company. They will continue to do business, in the meantime. Fear not, you can still get Twinkies.:)

Remember that professor who lost 27 pounds in two months on a diet made up mostly of twinkies?

A couple of twinkie factoids:

Did you know the cockroach in the movie Wall-e used a twinkie as a bed?

That President Clinton selected a twinkie to be placed in the millennium time capsule.

That they were the basis of a defense argument in a famous murder trial

There are more here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46062-2005Apr12.html

not true. I just bought some Ho Ho's yesterday. Never been a Twinkie guy. Hostess declared bankruptcy but is still in business. Even if worse came to worse I'm sure they'd be able to sell the brand to soemone and we'd still be able to get Twinkies and Cupcakes and Ho Ho's and...sounds like time to raid the vending machine for a mid morning snack.

not true. I just bought some Ho Ho's yesterday. Never been a Twinkie guy. Hostess declared bankruptcy but is still in business. Even if worse came to worse I'm sure they'd be able to sell the brand to soemone and we'd still be able to get Twinkies and Cupcakes and Ho Ho's and...sounds like time to raid the vending machine for a mid morning snack.

Thank god.

I tend to agree that the optimum number of games for these guys should be 3 - 4. (He says 4.) I have no problem with that. And I understand that you want your top guys doing more of the higher level games. I'm just not convinced that the guys who have been around forever are the top guys. But I will concede that it's a very difficult job, and I'd rather have an older guy who will give you consistency, that a younger guy who is still learning. However, it is my understanding that these guys take years to get to this level -- it's a tough fraternity to break into.

They were killed by an over reaching union. For eg. a cupcake truck could not carry twinkies.

They were killed by an over reaching union. For eg. a cupcake truck could not carry twinkies.
I read they were killed by a decline in sales directly related to the change to more healthy foods by the consuming public.

I read they were killed by a decline in sales directly related to the change to more healthy foods by the consuming public.

Way off the initial topic, but I'd love to know where that came from. I work in manufacturing, any manufacturing operation can absorb a sales decline without going bankrupt. What can't be absorbed is a sales decline (decreasing revenues) when your cost structure is locked at a nearly fixed value. Pretty much the only way that happens is that your labor cost has become virtually fixed and not variable due to union contract requirements. So a decline is sales may have been the tipping point, but the root cause of their issues is almost certainly cost (labor) structure.

Way off the initial topic, but I'd love to know where that came from. I work in manufacturing, any manufacturing operation can absorb a sales decline without going bankrupt. What can't be absorbed is a sales decline (decreasing revenues) when your cost structure is locked at a nearly fixed value. Pretty much the only way that happens is that your labor cost has become virtually fixed and not variable due to union contract requirements. So a decline is sales may have been the tipping point, but the root cause of their issues is almost certainly cost (labor) structure.
Here you go, it was more than a decline in sales. High labor costs and a rise in the price of sugar.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...on-in-trouble/2012/01/11/gIQAXdsgrP_blog.html

Here you go, it was more than a decline in sales. High labor costs and a rise in the price of sugar.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...on-in-trouble/2012/01/11/gIQAXdsgrP_blog.html

Thanks for finding that - I was surfing around and found articles as far back as 2010 talking about issues with the company...to the point that my opinion is now that the root cause of their issues have less to do with labor cost, raw material costs, or declining sales and more to do with a spectacularly bad management team.

Just to bring it back to the topic at hand, the mgt team at Hostess is to corporate mgt as Higgins/Burr are to college basketball refereeing...

Just to bring it back to the topic at hand, the mgt team at Hostess is to corporate mgt as Higgins/Burr are to college basketball refereeing...
I just tossed my twinkies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom