The state of NYS high school football... | Syracusefan.com

The state of NYS high school football...

realcusefan888

Walk On
watching the AA state finals replay from the dome yesterday and its a reminder of the dim state of football in this state...at least upstate. these kids are slow and small! newbergh has a d tackle going to uconn next year and he looks like a man amongst boys and thats it out there!

we catch a few downstate but the chances of finding true bsc talent in this state is slim. i think its partly a function of the mentality of northeastern kids:
*playing 2-3 sports, diverting training and attention away from any one sport. southern, western, and even midwestern kids seem to be more focused on developing talents within one sport.
*the emergence of lacrosse as a northeastern suburbia sport has taken athletes away from baseball and football
*less kids are playing sports period! video games, obesity epidemic, ipads, iphones, yada,yada,yada...you know what i mean...

for whatever reason our states hs football is in sad shape. we arent the only school not to exist in a recruiting hotbed but it is definately a disadvantage. hopefully the staff can keep up the decent work in fla, ga, va, penn.

your thoughts...

I'd keep an eye on the 9th grader tb for Newburg. I wasn't that impressed by the dt going to UConn. To be honest I was only half watching the game though.

yes , i wasnt impressed with that d tackle either, nice size, but slow feet. i will keep an eye on that 9th grader...thats impressive playing for such a program at that age

NYS football has collectively gotten better in the last handful of years. NYC is about to break out as a hotbed of talent. Not Pittsburgh or Miami, but there will be more and more good-great prospects coming out of there.