The supposed demphasis of RPI | Syracusefan.com

The supposed demphasis of RPI

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
NCAA states RPI not the major criteria to determine tournament eligibility

Creates newfangled “quadrant system “ in an attempt to more deftly select and rank teams

Quadrant system based on what ?

RPI

It's been like that for several years.

Your individual RPI means nothing if they are evaluating you, But the quality of who you beat and lose to is measured by their RPI. Totally contradicting.

At least they are trying to make improvements to a flawed system (i.e., quadrants aligned to take into account where the game occurred). No metric is ever going to be perfect, unless everyone plays the same schedule (obviously impossible).

Creates newfangled “quadrant system “ in an attempt to more deftly select and rank teams

RPI

Yeah. They made the RPI the Holy Grail this year.

RPI
It's an incredibly stupid contradiction. Either use the RPI, or don't use it. Why not just use an average of all three Sagarin/KenPom/BPI for the teams and the quadrants?

I'm afraid this wishy-washy crap may hurt SU's chances this season, considering...

SU's RPI right now is 38, whereas their Sagarin/KenPom/BPI are 48/45/50 (47.7 average).

Meanwhile, three of SU's five best wins have come against Maryland, Virginia Tech and Louisville...

Maryland: RPI of just 67 - Sagarin/KenPom/BPI of 32/41/38 (37 average).
Virginia Tech: RPI of just 55 - Sagarin/KenPom/BPI of 42/34/28 (34.7 average).
Louisville: RPI of just 51 - Sagarin/KenPom/BPI of 22/36/31 (29.7).

In short, three of our best wins came against teams who average an RPI of 58, but a computer rating of 34. That sucks for us.

I can see the committee on Selection Sunday:

"Syracuse's computer ratings are just not good enough. They're out."
"Yeah, I have Maryland, Virginia Tech, and Louisville in way before Syracuse considering their strong computer ratings."
"But Syracuse beat all three of those teams."
"Yeah, but those three teams have terrible RPI ratings, which hurts Syracuse's strength of win."
"But..."

So having a really bad RPI and really good computer ratings is great for your team! But you'd better hope the teams you've played have really good RPI despite what the rest of their computer ratings are.

lol_wut_completely.jpg

They could move to something like strength of record and that would be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom