The Sweet 16 | Syracusefan.com

The Sweet 16

SWC75

Bored Historian
The subject of JB's NCAA record, and especially in the Sweet 16 came up, (yet again, even though it's December).

Jim Boeheim’s record in the NCAAs, (1977-2012):
Round of 64: 20-4 Lost: 1991, 1999, 2005 and 2006
Round of 32: 16-9 Lost: 1978, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1995, 2001 and 2011
Sweet 16: 5-11 Lost 1977, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2010
Elite 8: 3-2 Lost: 1989, 2012
Semi-Finals: 3-0
Finals: 2-1 Lost: 1987. 1996
It’s interesting that we complain about the Sweet 16 record now but through the end of the 80’s the problem was the Round of 32, (We were 5-5 in that round through 1988 and have been 11-4 since). That suggests that it’s an anomaly that we have struggled in the Sweet 16 since: that the reasons for the losses are varied and have little to do with the point in the tournament in which they come.

Here are our Sweet 16 losses under JB:

3/17/77 UNC CHARLOTTE 81 SYRACUSE 59. A real shocker. There were no seedings in those says but we were 26-3 and ranked #6. They were 24-3 against a lesser schedule and had slipped into the rankings at #17. The real difference in the game was in the backcourt. We went 5-9, (Jim Williams) and 5-11 (Larry Kelly) and they went 6-4, 6-5. Our guys could not shoot or pass over their guys and their guys could do so at will. The main problem was: MATCH-UPS.

3/16/79 PENNSYLVANIA 84 SYRACUSE 76 Another upset We were again 26-3 and ranked #8 and seeded #4. Penn was 23-5 and ranked #14, (having just upset UNC) and seeded #9. Again, the problem was in the backcourt. I recall that Eddie Moss, our point guard, was sick or hurt and Marty Headd, a slow-footed shooter was our starting backcourt. They couldn’t keep up with the Penn guards and we fell behind 34-50 at the half. A second half comeback fell short. Again, the main problem was: MATCH-UPS.

3/14/80 IOWA 88 SYRACUSE 77 SU was again 26-3 and ranked #6 and seeded #1. Iowa was 23-8, unranked and seeded #5, so this was another upset. It was a close game until SU pulled ahead by 5-7 points midway through the second half. JB, uncharacteristically, slapped on a press proactively to try to put the game away. It did- for Iowa. They got a series of fast-break lay-ups and dunks, took the lead and pulled away in the final minutes to win by 11. This game may be a big reason why JB doesn’t like to use the press. The problem was: STRATEGY.

3/22/80 VIRGINIA 63 SYRACUSE 55 We were 23-8 and ranked #18-16 in the two polls and seeded #3. Virginia, (the first year of the Ralph Sampson era) was 21-10, unranked and seeded #7. Still another upset. Both teams stunk. They put together five minutes of decent ball late in the first half to take a 26-16 halftime lead and held onto that lead through the second half. The main factor was: PERFORMANCE.

3/23/90 MINNESOTA 82 SYRACUSE 75 We were 26-6, ranked #6 and seeded #2. The Golden Gophers were 22-8, ranked #20 and seeded #6. All I remember from this game is that Tony Scott jacked up a couple of 30 footers and threw the ball out of bounds in the final minute of a close and very winnable game. The main factor was: TONY SCOTT.

3/24/94 MISSOURI 98 SYRACUSE 88 (OT) We were 23-6, ranked #15/14 and seeded #4. Missouri was 28-3, ranked #5 and seeded #1. I didn’t see this game, (I was hiking up a volcano in Hawaii with my brother). What I’ve heard about it is that we made a miracle comeback in the second half to tie it and would have won had a shot Adrian Autry made while flat on his back been allowed to count. But it’s clear that the main factor was that we were playing a BETTER TEAM.

3/20/98 DUKE 80 SYRACUSE 67 We were 26-8, ranked #21/19 and seeded #5. Duke was 31-3, ranked #3 and seeded #1. We again fell behind and made a comeback to tie it but couldn’t stay in it. Again, clearly a BETTER TEAM.

3/23/00 MICHIGAN STATE 75 SYRACUSE 58 We were 26-5, ranked #16/14, (which seems pretty low) and seeded #4 (ditto: the #3 seed was 24-9 Maryland team that got blown out by 35 vs. UCLA in the second round). Michigan State was 28-7but ranked #2 and seeded #1. We led 40-26 at one point but they cracked the zone and we didn’t have an alternative defense. Our one reliable outside shooter, Preston Shumpert, had been hit upside the head, (no call) and was out of the game. I’ve always believed that good teams are not as affected by the location of the game but, as we know, this was played in the Spartan’s back yard. And it’s the only time Izzo has beaten Boeheim in 4 tries. Main Factors: STRATEGY, INJURY, LOCATION but mostly BETTER TEAM.
3/25/04 ALABAMA 80 SYRACUSE 71 We were 23-7, ranked #20/24 and seeded #5. Alabama was 19-12, unranked and seeded #8. I really don’t remember much about this game. I was just looking forward to meeting Connecticut in the regional final. I think the SU players probably were, too. I think the main factor was simply PERFORMANCE.

3/27/09 OKLAHOMA 84 SYRACUSE 71 We were 28-9, ranked #18-20 and seeded #3. Oklahoma was 29-5, ranked #6/7 and seeded #2. I didn’t think we played very well in this game but Oklahoma, with Blake Griffin, was clearly the BETTER TEAM.

3/25/10 BUTLER 63 SYRACUSE 59 We were 29-4, ranked #3 and seeded #1. Butler was 27-4, ranked #12 and seeded #5. People think Butler came out of the blue this year but they were already recognized as a quality team. I still think we would have beaten them with Arinze Onuaku, whose presence would mean that we wouldn’t have tried to force the ball to Rick Jackson so much in the first half, (which produced 8 turnovers). We might have won anyway if we’d gotten an out-of-bounds call that should have gone our way in the final minute. Butler was a certainly a very good team but I think the main factors were INJURY and, as a secondary factor, OFFICIATING.

I don’t see any trend there. We lost games for the same reasons any team loses NCAA games: BETTER TEAM, (4 times), MATCH-UPS, STRATEGY, PERFORMANCE, INJURY, (2 each), LOCATION, OFFICIATING, TONY SCOTT, (1 each). Six of the 11 teams we lost to went on to the Final Four. Two played for the national title and one won it. Seven of the 11 losses were upsets but four of the last six were not. The Sweet 16 upsets and the Round of 32 losses are mostly from the first decade and a half of his career.

The major complain about Jim Boeheim comparing him to other elite coaches is that they go to the Final Four more time and win more National Championships. The main reason for that is what happened in the Sweet 16. And yet there’s no trend here that suggests that there is any one reason why Jim is 5-11 in the Sweet 16 or that that record is a true measure of his coaching ability.

That Michigan St. game hit me hard. We were up big at the half but looking at that list most of those teams were more physical than us...

Tony Crocker was a big factor in the OU game, as he went off early and gave them a cushion.

Of the 5 Sweet 16 wins, we were "supposed" to go, based on seeding, 4-1

Of the 11 Sweet 16 losses we were "supposed" to go, based on seeding, 6-5.

In that loss to Minnesota in '90, it's true that Tony Scott made a number of bone head plays but you have to point the finger at Billy Owens too. After a real good first half, he totally disappeared in the second half (scored only 2 points I think). Billy had a real penchant for doing that in big games, remember Richmond too, which is why despite his gaudy stats I consider him a very over-rated player at SU.

Tony Crocker was a big factor in the OU game, as he went off early and gave them a cushion.

Of the 5 Sweet 16 wins, we were "supposed" to go, based on seeding, 4-1

Of the 11 Sweet 16 losses we were "supposed" to go, based on seeding, 6-5.

pretty sure crocker was struggling big time going into that game, and of course he goes off on us. as soon as he hit his first 3 from way out i knew we were toast.

In that loss to Minnesota in '90, it's true that Tony Scott made a number of bone head plays but you have to point the finger at Billy Owens too. After a real good first half, he totally disappeared in the second half (scored only 2 points I think). Billy had a real penchant for doing that in big games, remember Richmond too, which is why despite his gaudy stats I consider him a very over-rated player at SU.
I've always thought that but hesitated to get into that discussion His brother ,Michael paid for his scholly with that two point conversion against WV in 1987. Mac was the coach that messed it up in the Sugar Bowl.

Lot of "awesome" memories here...but the Mochigan State game was the worst loss I've ever experienced. We f;);$ing had that game and the remaining path would have been Iowa State, Wisconsin (who we beat earlier) and five seed Florida.

Lot of "awesome" memories here...but the Mochigan State game was the worst loss I've ever experienced. We f;);$ing had that game and the remaining path would have been Iowa State, Wisconsin (who we beat earlier) and five seed Florida.
Iowa St was no sure thing. They got completely hosed 2 days later on the MSU home-away-from-home court.

3/23/90 MINNESOTA 82 SYRACUSE 75 We were 26-6, ranked #6 and seeded #2. The Golden Gophers were 22-8, ranked #20 and seeded #6. All I remember from this game is that Tony Scott jacked up a couple of 30 footers and threw the ball out of bounds in the final minute of a close and very winnable game. The main factor was: TONY SCOTT.

Something about this one made me laugh uncontrollably.

Iowa St was no sure thing. They got completely hosed 2 days later on the MSU home-away-from home court.

None of those three teams were. But I sure as hell would like our chances coming off a MSU win.

The 03-04 loss occurred my freshmen year. We had won 8 tournament games in a row, Gerry had been on fire and I just remember we laid an egg the beginning of the 2nd half on defense. After that loss I figured we would be clear cut top 5 in 04-05 and be a favorite to win it all with gerry and hakim. we did start out being ranked that way. 04-05 was the loss to Vermont, and as far as I am concerned that was one of the most wasted seasons for SU in the past 15 years. How they went from sweet 16 to losing in the first round with everyone back just boggles my mind. Getting a 4 seed after winning the big east tournament was no help. We were at least a 3. Vermont was more like a 12 or 11. This thread just brings back bad memories.

3/23/00 MICHIGAN STATE 75 SYRACUSE 58 We were 26-5, ranked #16/14, (which seems pretty low) and seeded #4 (ditto: the #3 seed was 24-9 Maryland team that got blown out by 35 vs. UCLA in the second round). Michigan State was 28-7but ranked #2 and seeded #1. We led 40-26 at one point but they cracked the zone and we didn’t have an alternative defense. Our one reliable outside shooter, Preston Shumpert, had been hit upside the head, (no call) and was out of the game. I’ve always believed that good teams are not as affected by the location of the game but, as we know, this was played in the Spartan’s back yard. And it’s the only time Izzo has beaten Boeheim in 4 tries. Main Factors: STRATEGY, INJURY, LOCATION but mostly BETTER TEAM.

You don't go up 14 in the 2nd half to lose on 28 points unanswered without changing something. That's on coaching. The building, the fans, and the location didn't stop us from building a sizable lead, so stop looking for excuses. It was a very winnable game and an opportunity than elite coaches capitalize on.

To be fair it was tie game until at about the five minute mark. Then Michigan State "only" scored the last seventeen points of the game.

You don't go up 14 in the 2nd half to lose on 28 points unanswered without changing something. That's on coaching. The building, the fans, and the location didn't stop us from building a sizable lead, so stop looking for excuses. It was a very winnable game and an opportunity than elite coaches capitalize on.

I wasn't looking for excuses, just reasons. As I stated, I think the "location" thing is overrated. I just put it in because everybody talks about it. The primary thing was that we were playing a better team, one that could make adjustments as the game went along and wasn't wedded to the one defense. Yes that is coaching. But the Spartans were a #1 seed and won it all that year and losing to national champion in the Sweet 16 is not an embarrasment by any means. I think JB learned from that game which is why he's beaten Izzo three times since.

I wasn't looking for excuses, just reasons. As I stated, I think the "location" thing is overrated. I just put it in because everybody talks about it. The primary thing was that we were playing a better team, one that could make adjustments as the game went along and wasn't wedded to the one defense. Yes that is coaching. But the Spartans were a #1 seed and won it all that year and losing to national champion in the Sweet 16 is not an embarrasment by any means. I think JB learned from that game which is why he's beaten Izzo three times since.

Four times.

I think your "reason" may apply when looking at the game prospectively as a matchup before it has started. Blue Curtain on the other hand is looking at it from a point mid-game where we seemed to be in control, or at least well positioned to win, until MSU woke up and basically shut us down completely the rest of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom