The Syracuse Orange Raiders | Syracusefan.com

The Syracuse Orange Raiders

K

kingottoiii

What was the relationship between Al Davis and SU? Was it decent, indifferent, or poor?

This is hindsight but when SU was thinking of changing from the Orangemen in the mid 90s (I think the plan was Wolfpack until people protested), why didn't we try and name the team after Al Davis' team? We could have then parlayed that into a good relationship and donation money. Plus having a tie to the Raiders would be mentioned every game on TV, improving exposure and adding a cool element for recruits.

Also you could have used it to make corny sections in the Dome that could appeal to casual fans and kids. Tops Family section is the Crows Nest. One sideline is Port and other Starboard. Endzone sections are the Bow and Stern. You could rename the Dome the Carrier Clipper. Put a mast outside the Dome (like Babe Ruth's bat) with an orange pirate flag on top. Otto would be a pirate with an orange beard and an outfit with orange and blue colors. I think it would be easier for the casual fan to feel involved having a theme. It would give them an identity.

I guess that we could still try and do this now, but would the family have interest? You could go to them and say we would like his memory to live on by naming the practice facility the Al Davis FB Center for a nice donation.

What was the relationship between Al Davis and SU? Was it decent, indifferent, or poor?

This is hindsight but when SU was thinking of changing from the Orangemen in the mid 90s (I think the plan was Wolfpack until people protested), why didn't we try and name the team after Al Davis' team? We could have then parlayed that into a good relationship and donation money. Plus having a tie to the Raiders would be mentioned every game on TV, improving exposure and adding a cool element for recruits.

Also you could have used it to make corny sections in the Dome that could appeal to casual fans and kids. Tops Family section is the Crows Nest. One sideline is Port and other Starboard. Endzone sections are the Bow and Stern. You could rename the Dome the Carrier Clipper. Put a mast outside the Dome (like Babe Ruth's bat) with an orange pirate flag on top. Otto would be a pirate with an orange beard and an outfit with orange and blue colors. I think it would be easier for the casual fan to feel involved having a theme. It would give them an identity.

I guess that we could still try and do this now, but would the family have interest? You could go to them and say we would like his memory to live on by naming the practice facility the Al Davis FB Center for a nice donation.

I don't think the NCAA would be on board with all of this.

I don't think the NCAA would be on board with all of this.

Naming your school the Orange Raiders? Texas Tech is the Red Raiders, so what is the issue? It wouldn't be violating any NCAA rules. Having John Congemi say every noon game hey you guys know that the Orange Raiders are named in honor of Al Davis would be an issue? And Oregon having Nike this and that is not? Or MD with UA? Or Pitt sharing faculties with the Steelers? Etc, etc, etc?

not sure about the idea but my sense is the relationship is good. I know the locker rooms in the dome have plaques saying they were funded by Al Davis (or at least they did in the 90s when i was back there a bunch).

I'm just curious to see if we were written into Uncle Al's will...

We do need a billionaire benefactor so we can become the most corrupt program in the nation to win multiple national championships.

Pretty much donated pennies.

Pretty much donated pennies.

man, if we had thread view, I could see which post this tidbit was responding to.

Example # 234 as to why topic view sucks.

I believe Al gave a few hundred thousand or a mill when we were building the Dome some 30 years ago. But that's it really. AL was more of a USC guy. He never went there but it was in his backyard and he had more ties with USC than he ever did with SU.

Al went to SU and all but was never an SU guy. Although if Al's son Mark wants to cement his fathers football legacy, he could donate a few million and I am sure SU will be more than happy to build the AL DAVIS FOOTBALL CENTER near the Carmelo K. Anthony Center on campus somewhere! lol

man, if we had thread view, I could see which post this tidbit was responding to.

No offense Swishy, but is it really that hard to figure out he was responding to the OP? If a reply is quoted (like I just quoted yours), you can assume he's responding to the quoted reply. If there is no reply included, he's responding to the OP.

No offense Cusey, but you proved my argument. You went through a moderately complex description of a convoluted user process, all to achieve what thread view achieves at a single glance. Topic view blows. It's pretty simple.

Bottom line, there are two user/audience camps on this. It is technically feasible to appease both. So, you can either appease both, or ignore one. We're currently ignoring one. That said, I understand that it is probably easier on the backend to default a forum to topic view.

Quoted replies are a waste of space and bandwidth. It requires me to scroll to the meat of what I want to read. This is hard on the wrist, and just annoying.

With thread view, I can avoid a ton of noise that i cannot avoid in topic view. If two folks are in a pissing patch, I can ignore it. If Millhouse is saying something funny, I can jump right to it.

No offense Cusey, but you proved my argument. You went through a moderately complex description of a convoluted user process, all to achieve what thread view achieves at a single glance. Topic view blows. It's pretty simple.

Bottom line, there are two user/audience camps on this. It is technically feasible to appease both. So, you can either appease both, or ignore one. We're currently ignoring one. That said, I understand that it is probably easier on the backend to default a forum to topic view.

Quoted replies are a waste of space and bandwidth. It requires me to scroll to the meat of what I want to read. This is hard on the wrist, and just annoying.

With thread view, I can avoid a ton of noise that i cannot avoid in topic view. If two folks are in a pissing patch, I can ignore it. If Millhouse is saying something funny, I can jump right to it.

I didn't see my quote in your response. You flunked my Topic View class. By the way, you're really still wasting bandwidth by obsessing over this?

Dude, if you don't want a response, then don't post a reply.

They're not ignoring anyone, it's just not available for this site at this time.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.039980,-76.133674

They're not ignoring anyone, it's just not available for this site at this time.
---

Are you an admin?

I am with swish, bring on thread view.. I have always hated the topic and quote stuff, Its easy to ignore a bunch of posts as well...

As Cali would say, bring me some honey bees

I remember hearing multiple times back in the 1980s that Al Davis was the largest private donor to the Carrier Dome. It is true that there used to be (don't know if it's still there) a plaque in the SU locker room honoring his donation.

Thread view>topic view. If it's not a quote, it's probably a direct response to the OP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom