The thread to dispel JB's tourney "underachieving"...(he's average) | Syracusefan.com

The thread to dispel JB's tourney "underachieving"...(he's average)

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
Ok, here it is, folks: the hard, empirical, scientific (kind of) evidence that proves Jim Boeheim does bot underachieve in March. Some methods may not be appropriate and most definitely violate some statistical assumptions, but it does give reasonable results that align with most conventional wisdom.

If you take the results of the past 28 years, you can compute the average and standard deviation of the number of wins for each seed. Obviously, the one seeds have averaged the most wins/tournament (3.4), then the two seeds (2.4 wins/tournament) and so on. You can do some tests to see which seeds are significantly different and it turns out seeds 1, 2, 3 (1.9 win/tourney) and 4 (1.5 wins/tourney) are all significantly different from each other, 5 and 6 are the same (1.2).

So, with the means and standard deviations from each seed, you can kind of create a percentile score, which is the probability of teams of equal seeds that perform worse; basically, how the particular year's team fared relative to other teams of the same seed from the past 28 years. This has nothing to do with whether you underachieve during the regular season.

Coach K has had 20 one/two seeds out of 27 tournaments compared to Boeheim's 7 one/two seeds out of 23 tournaments; of course K is expected to achieve more in the tournament and he has. You can argue all day long about player talent, regular season success, overall legacy, etc. but this is irrelevant if you want to have an unbiased comparison of tournament success (i.e you need to account for seeding, which is just a proxy for how good a team has been up to the tournament and, most likely, during the tournament).

For each tournament, you can get a score based on the number of wins and the seed. For instance, if you win two games as a one seed, you'd get a score of .19 but as a seven seed you'd get a score of .91. There are problems with this simplified approach (especially with non-normal distributions of discrete counts) but, whatever. It's better than some talking heads say how crappy JB has been while giving minimal evidence. Granted, he is lower than many "great" coaches but he higher than some, too. Preparing for the tournament and positioning yourself for higher seeds during the regular season is also part of it, which is why what Coach K has done at Duke is pretty amazing.

Here's the complete list (since 1985, minimum of ten tournaments):

Coach/average tournament percentile

Izzo 0.626
Smith
Crum 0.595
Pitino 0.578
Calhoun 0.573
Donovan 0.56
Tubby 0.554
Richardson 0.551
Calipari 0.548
K 0.545
Self 0.543
Roy 0.54
Thompson 0.532
Matta 0.521
Sutton 0.502
Boeheim 0.497
Fisher 0.473
Knight 0.409
Olsen 0.395
Barnes 0.388

if Millhouse the statistician gives this the thumbs up then I'll be inclined to think it's legit, as it sure sounds legit. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

I like that kind of stuff and believe it has validity. Where he is on that list and considering it doesn't include coaches who haven't made at least 10 tournaments, its in line with what I voted in that other thread. His tourney success has been good but not great as compared to other coaches. It has also not been bad as some think.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Ok, here it is, folks: the hard, empirical, scientific (kind of) evidence that proves Jim Boeheim does bot underachieve in March. Some methods may not be appropriate and most definitely violate some statistical assumptions, but it does give reasonable results that align with most conventional wisdom.

If you take the results of the past 28 years, you can compute the average and standard deviation of the number of wins for each seed. Obviously, the one seeds have averaged the most wins/tournament (3.4), then the two seeds (2.4 wins/tournament) and so on. You can do some tests to see which seeds are significantly different and it turns out seeds 1, 2, 3 (1.9 win/tourney) and 4 (1.5 wins/tourney) are all significantly different from each other, 5 and 6 are the same (1.2).

So, with the means and standard deviations from each seed, you can kind of create a percentile score, which is the probability of teams of equal seeds that perform worse; basically, how the particular year's team fared relative to other teams of the same seed from the past 28 years. This has nothing to do with whether you underachieve during the regular season.

Coach K has had 20 one/two seeds out of 27 tournaments compared to Boeheim's 7 one/two seeds out of 23 tournaments; of course K is expected to achieve more in the tournament and he has. You can argue all day long about player talent, regular season success, overall legacy, etc. but this is irrelevant if you want to have an unbiased comparison of tournament success (i.e you need to account for seeding, which is just a proxy for how good a team has been up to the tournament and, most likely, during the tournament).

For each tournament, you can get a score based on the number of wins and the seed. For instance, if you win two games as a one seed, you'd get a score of .19 but as a seven seed you'd get a score of .91. There are problems with this simplified approach (especially with non-normal distributions of discrete counts) but, whatever. It's better than some talking heads say how crappy JB has been while giving minimal evidence. Granted, he is lower than many "great" coaches but he higher than some, too. Preparing for the tournament and positioning yourself for higher seeds during the regular season is also part of it, which is why what Coach K has done at Duke is pretty amazing.

Izzo 0.626
Smith
Crum 0.595
Pitino 0.578
Calhoun 0.573
Donovan 0.56
Tubby 0.554
Richardson 0.551
Calipari 0.548
K 0.545
Self 0.543
Roy 0.54
Thompson 0.532
Matta 0.521
Sutton 0.502
Boeheim 0.497
Fisher 0.473
Knight 0.409
Olsen 0.395
Barnes 0.388

Just curious, is Smith Dean or Tubby? Not surprising that Izzo is at the top. He is a beast in March.

and where's coach jim lahey on that list ?
"what kind of sh8tscam is this? if you think for one minute i'm afeared of the miami sh#tcanes,indiana hoosh%ts,duke devils or the gonzaga bull sh@tshitters whoa...i need another drink randy"

I love JB, but this is how I judge a coach in the NCAA Tournament how many times does the Coach lose when his team is wearing the white jersey (higher seed) vs how many times does the Coach lose when wearing the team's colored jersey (lower seed)
I went back to 1989 just because I didn't want to dig further to see what colored jersey we wearing when eliminated.
2012- white jersey
2011- white jersey
2010 white jersey
2009 orange jersey
2006 white jersey
2005 white jersey
2004 white jersey(but won 1 game with orange jersey)
2003- :) won 3 games with the orange jersey
2001- orange jersey
2000- orange jersey
1999- 8-9 game doesn't matter
1998- orange jersey( won 1 game with the orange jersey)
1996 orange jersey ( won 2 games with orange jersey)
1995- orange jersey
1994- orange jersey
1992- orange jersey
1991 - white jersey
1990- white jersey
1989- orange jersey

In the NCAA Tournament SU lost 8 times wearing the white jersey as the higher seed( I am not using 1999 cause its the 8-9 game and the teams are even) and we have lost 9 times wearing the orange jersey as the lower seed. Thus, I feel JB has done a good job in the tournament. The frustration on this board comes from the recent memory which tends to outweigh the entire body of work since 2004 out of 7 eliminations from the NCAA Tournament 6 of them have been to lower seeds and that is the frustration to a tee with that said I love JB and don't want him to retire for atleast a couple more years.

Has the argument been whether he's been good or elite? Underachieving versus overachieving (or accurate achieving for that matter) depends on how you are viewed as a coach. If JB is considered an elite coach, is doing good but not great in the tournament underachieving or is that what should be expected?

H

Izzo 0.626
Smith
Crum 0.595
Pitino 0.578
Calhoun 0.573
Donovan 0.56
Tubby 0.554
Richardson 0.551
Calipari 0.548
K 0.545
Self 0.543
Roy 0.54
Thompson 0.532
Matta 0.521
Sutton 0.502
Boeheim 0.497
Fisher 0.473
Knight 0.409
Olsen 0.395
Barnes 0.388

Boeheim may be "average" but he seems to lag behind his peers (i.e. other elite coaches)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom