The three has taken over college basketball | Syracusefan.com

The three has taken over college basketball

GooseMutt

All Conference
I’m convinced. It’s all about the three now. Recruit the guards that can shoot the three. The three holds teams somewhat defenseless and closes gaps quickly. The game is becoming boring. What would it look like if three was eliminated , our zone would kill it then more so

I’m convinced. It’s all about the three now. Recruit the guards that can shoot the three. The three holds teams somewhat defenseless and closes gaps quickly. The game is becoming boring. What would it look like if three was eliminated , our zone would kill it then more so

This just come to you today?

I noticed this a few years ago when I saw a bunch of kids who couldn't shoot a free throw jacking up threes all practice long. Luckily my kid has advanced and can hit both now.

I noticed this a few years ago when I saw a bunch of kids who couldn't shoot a free throw jacking up threes all practice long. Luckily my kid has advanced and can hit both now.
Not only that, I just heard Lindbergh landed in Paris.

Not only that, I just heard Lindbergh landed in Paris.
Sarcastic but how have we followed this epiphany everyone is so acutely aware of. Why aren’t we recruiting this type if it’s so obvious

Sarcastic but how have we followed this epiphany everyone is so acutely aware of. Why aren’t we recruiting this type if it’s so obvious

No, we are recruiting the types of kids designed to stop other kids from hitting this shot - that's why we have a 6'5" converted shooting guard playing PG. Long and tall. We recruit for defense first. Clearly.

No, we are recruiting the types of kids designed to stop other kids from hitting this shot - that's why we have a 6'5" converted shooting guard playing PG. Long and tall. We recruit for defense first. Clearly.
Exactly. And JB's contrarian approach to winning basketball games has served him well. He's not averse to having three point shooters, it's just not a recruiting priority.

Last edited:
You want to be a top 10% coach then it's simple math.

3>2
6>3

Somehow coaches are paid millions of dollars to ignore this simple concept.

Who also happens to be a 37% three point shooter.

We had four really good 3 point shooters in our main five players last year.

Our last final four team had 4 guys who shot above 35 percent from 3. Last year we lived and died by it. This year we missed out on all our shooting recruits.

I noticed it when my son was playing CYO grammar 20 years ago and his coach’s son stole a pass at the defensive end, dribbled the length of the cour by himself and stopped and shot ftom20. I HATE the 3!

Also, need to be able to collapse the defense in some form - either by guards penetrating or by having someone who can do something in the post or high post. Teams that just swing it around and launch 3’s with no penetration aren’t very effective. Kick outs are the goal IMO. So you can’t just recruit a bunch of one dimensional spot up shooters.