The three teams we all need to root against this week are | Syracusefan.com

The three teams we all need to root against this week are

Marsh01

Living Legend
Villanova
Michigan
Virginia

In that order as well. These IMO are the three teams that pose the biggest threat for a 2 seed in the east. We need to at worst go as far as they go in the conference tournaments as these teams to stay on par with them or potentially pull ahead. Virginia losing yesterday helped us and I would love to see them get picked off on Friday afternoon to eliminate them as a threat. I am going to be a HUGE Nebraska/Ohio State (gack) fan on Friday when one of these teams plays Michigan.

You might root for Nova to win out. If they are truly in possession of a 1 right now, them losing could actually do us more harm than good as it might drop them down to a spot where they are being considered on the same line as us.

Seems to me that if we win the ACC tournament we won't really have to worry too much about who all loses. I think the discussion of how our losses came with injuries at the time would start to pick up if weput 4 straight wins together including wins against Duke and UVA.

You might root for Nova to win out. If they are truly in possession of a 1 right now, them losing could actually do us more harm than good as it might drop them down to a spot where they are being considered on the same line as us.

Seems to me that if we win the ACC tournament we won't really have to worry too much about who all loses. I think the discussion of how our losses came with injuries at the time would start to pick up if weput 4 straight wins together including wins against Duke and UVA.

Villanova would be up there if they were to get picked off in the quarters. If they win that game then you are right. Problem is they wont beat Creighton and by then it may be too late to pass them.

Re: Michigan - I wouldn't sleep on Indiana in the Quarters, they seem to match up well w/ them. Mich. had to fight for 40min's to salvage a season split the other day at home.

Beilein also blew a gasket & got T'd up over a no-call on a blatant flop, which was pretty funny. I wonder if it'll spark a week long seminar about "what if Nick Stauskus did that?" and Pat Forde, et al write a high horse moral highground column about it. Not quite holding my breath.

Villanova
Michigan
Virginia

In that order as well. These IMO are the three teams that pose the biggest threat for a 2 seed in the east. We need to at worst go as far as they go in the conference tournaments as these teams to stay on par with them or potentially pull ahead. Virginia losing yesterday helped us and I would love to see them get picked off on Friday afternoon to eliminate them as a threat. I am going to be a HUGE Nebraska/Ohio State (gack) fan on Friday when one of these teams plays Michigan.

Can I assume that we root for Wichita St., Arizona & Florida under the theory that it makes the East the 4th #1 seed and the 1st #2 seed and gives us two shots at the East?

Or am I over-thinking it?

I don't really follow the "science" of bracketology.

Seems to me that if we win the ACC tournament we won't really have to worry too much about who all loses. I think the discussion of how our losses came with injuries at the time would start to pick up if we put 4 straight wins together including wins against Duke and UVA.

This. If we do this, I'm hard-pressed to imagine we don't end up in the East, likely as a #1, and at least a #2. The committee would certainly normalize our record in light of JG's injury and the results from it. But stranger things have happened.

But we may not, and likely won't, win the ACCT. I give us 1 out of 4, maybe 1 out of 3 chances of doing that. So to Marsh's point, we may need some help.

Can I assume that we root for Wichita St., Arizona & Florida under the theory that it makes the East the 4th #1 seed and the 1st #2 seed and gives us two shots at the East?

Or am I over-thinking it?

I don't really follow the "science" of bracketology.

You are correct in your thinking

Don't forget Kansas we want them to lose so then the Midwest 2 seed slot would be open for Michigan which would be their preference over the East region. Michigan has a lot of NYC alums, but the top B1G team wants Indy which is B1G country and they have a lot of Chicago/Indy alums as well.

We want Virginia and Duke to lose the most IMO. If Villanova reaches the BET final then we would want them to win and get that 4th 1 seed to open the 2 East slot for us. Wisconsin seems destined for the 2 seed out West now IMO unless they beat Michigan in the B1G final and would still be in discussion for that 4th 1 seed unless Nova won the BET.

It makes a lot of sense for the committee to follow history and in 2003 Kansas was the 2 seed in the West with number 1 seed Arizona and where was that regional final played? If you said Anaheim, California which is the site this year of the West regional then you are a winner.

Don't forget Kansas we want them to lose so then the Midwest 2 seed slot would be open for Michigan which would be their preference over the East region. Michigan has a lot of NYC alums, but the top B1G team wants Indy which is B1G country and they have a lot of Chicago/Indy alums as well.

We want Virginia and Duke to lose the most IMO. If Villanova reaches the BET final then we would want them to win and get that 4th 1 seed to open the 2 East slot for us. Wisconsin seems destined for the 2 seed out West now IMO unless they beat Michigan in the B1G final and would still be in discussion for that 4th 1 seed unless Nova won the BET.

It makes a lot of sense for the committee to follow history and in 2003 Kansas was the 2 seed in the West with number 1 seed Arizona and where was that regional final played? If you said Anaheim, California which is the site this year of the West regional then you are a winner.

I didnt include Duke in my list because we could be playing them and we control what they do as opposed to these three teams which we have no control over (Unless we meet Virginia in the finals which by that point we would have done our job)

Kansas has a BRUTAL first round game against Okie State in their conference tournament. Wow I didnt even see this. How about getting that team as an opening round conference tourney game?

Last edited:
gotta be an obama liberal.

you ignored russia again.

its alright, just hit the reset button.

wait...
images

Fair enough, but Kansas losing in the Big XII can push them out West to play Arizona and give that Midwest 2 seed to the B1G top team either Wisconsin or Michigan and then allow Syracuse to slide into the 2 seed in the East, but then Michigan State could slide into that 3 seed in the East and be our potential sweet 16 opponent. If Kansas is the 2 seed in the Midwest you can bank one of Michigan/Wisconsin/Michigan State into the 3 seed in Indy and Cincinnati/Louisville are both contending for the 4 seed in the Midwest region whomever goes further in the AAC tournament will be the 4 seed in the Midwest and loser I think will be sent to the Big East tournament regional at MSG with potentially Villanova, Syracuse, and B1G team.

What kind of seeds will Ohio State and Nebraska get? Somewhere between 7-9?

Kansas has a BRUTAL first round game against Okie State in their conference tournament. Wow I didnt even see this. How about getting that teams as an opening round conference tourney game?

Yeah those guys can smoke anybody when they are playing right.

I think Ohio State (depending on how they do in the BiG tournament) is going to get a 5-6 seed. Nebraska will be a 10-11 seed.

Ohio State is a 6 or 7 seed IMO. We could see them in Buffalo as a 2 seed. Nebraska is a 8-10 seed. They could be our 10 seed, but I doubt it. I hope Ohio State makes the B1G semi-finals and moves up to the 6 seed and off our line for the first weekend.

Kansas has a BRUTAL first round game against Okie State in their conference tournament. Wow I didnt even see this. How about getting that team as an opening round conference tourney game?
Sort of like us getting RPI 10 Georgetown in the BET quarters a few years ago.

This is a particularly difficult year to sort out, with no one really pulling away and separating themselves except Florida, and so much still up in the air depending on teh conference tourneys. It's great fun tracking it all. Location can be important as 2013 indicates not only with Boston/ Albany, but also putting UConn against Texas. And yet, for all the permutations and machinations that occur, one never can tell when a Lehigh/Duke will happen.

To the OP, I've disliked Michigan ever since all the hype and BS around the "Fab Five" ('93 was the only time I've ever pulled for UNC). Villanova and Virginia I have no particular dislike for, so what the heck. I mean, Buffalo/MSG would be nice, but we worked ourselves into a freaking embolism over that during the last month and I'm almost curiously relieved now. Que sera, sera. I cheer for practically every underdog this time of year, because as we all know it's part of the magic of the season. And if we actually end up against one or more of 'em, so be it, it'll be great fun. You can't depend on others to do the heavy lifting for you. Bring all on anyway, and LGO! :)

I haven't really paid much attention to Oklahoma State, but don't they pretty much have to play their way into the tournament at this point? I know they've got double digit losses so they are squarely on the bubble...so yeah, I would be terrified of Marcus Smart in that situation if I were Kansas.

I haven't really paid much attention to Oklahoma State, but don't they pretty much have to play their way into the tournament at this point? I know they've got double digit losses so they are squarely on the bubble...so yeah, I would be terrified of Marcus Smart in that situation if I were Kansas.

Smart looked awfully good against Kansas about a week ago when OkSt beat them. They're certainly capable of knocking them off again, but I'd bet Kansas comes to this one with some added purpose.

Villanova
Michigan
Virginia

Fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom