The Triche offensive foul call on Jordan Morgan in the Final Four was a worse call than this one | Syracusefan.com

The Triche offensive foul call on Jordan Morgan in the Final Four was a worse call than this one

Alsacs

Living Legend
JB went ape chit on this call and didn't on that call. That call costed us a chance to play for a NC if its called correctly. I mad at the call and I loved JB's press conference snark, but his reaction was overkill and ended the game. I thought the Michigan call down 2 pts with Triche driving was a worse call.

By the book you are correct. But if I may incorporate a human element, the Trische play is everything I hate about basketball. You have an offensive player trying to draw contact & get to the FT line more than he is trying to score vs a defender who has no intention of making any sort of play other than flopping. So two guys not really competing in the spirit of the game, and slow-motion replays & semantic debates ensue about legal guarding position.

But here you have CJ with nothing on his mind other than scoring - and he did without getting out of control - and made a tremendous shot. That's what sucks about it.

On the other hand, it's apples&oranges. This was a typical road game. We got less than half the calls and that's normal. The last 3minutes of the Michigan game were umm, not a normal F4 game for how 1sided it was (MCW fouls, weak lane violation, Triche charge, etc). So ya, I would've blown up much worse than JB did that game but not as much tonight.

JB went ape chit on this call and didn't on that call. That call costed us a chance to play for a NC if its called correctly. I mad at the call and I loved JB's press conference snark, but his reaction was overkill and ended the game. I thought the Michigan call down 2 pts with Triche driving was a worse call.
Totally right - the Triche play was a far worse call. This call, honestly, was very close. I had it as a block but really if not for the blatant Parker charge earlier in the half I wouldn't have been anywhere near as fired up. As far as JBs reaction, I didn't hate him getting tossed in this game, but if he had done the same thing in an NCAA tourney game I would be absolutely disgusted with him. In the Mich game we got the ball back down 3 after all...

You are wrong. This one is worse because there is an organized effort by officials to call less charges. That didn't exist last year. I do agree that the one against Michigan was a lot bigger call.

From the Ohio State game 2 years ago, the Marquette call the year before that, the Triche call last year...I'm just tired of this garbage.

You are wrong. This one is worse because there is an organized effort by officials to call less charges. That didn't exist last year. I do agree that the one against Michigan was a lot bigger call.
It's also a different play though - this one was a lot closer.

You are wrong? LOL you are such a smarter person than I should bow down to your intelligence. How is this one worse when it was a close call one way or the other. Unless the NCAA completely outlawed the charge call which it didn't it could be called last year. Last year Triche was driving down the lane and Morgan completely slid under where Triche was landing after he went up. Last season they called charges more it doesn't mean that block calls couldn't be made my god what an ignorant response. The Gbinjie block was a worse call than the Fair charge at the end. I guess just like you responding to my Grant post and you want to repute whatever I say. I guess I will wait for you to make opinion statements that I disagree and will talk back to you like you do to me. NONE of our players NBA Draft stock HAD ANYTHING to do with our 25-0 start. NBA teams draft on upside. I guess the fact that Ennis has been a stone cold assassin at the end of games and Grant's freakish athleticism have nothing to do with their NBA stock. NBA teams don't draft winners they draft talent.

From a technical perspective I agree with you. Morgan moved under Triche after Triche had made his offensive move to the hoop. The rule clarification this year seems to describe the Triche/Morgan scenario exactly. Last night, Hood had better established position than Morgan although I still think he moved into the player.

But the big difference between the two plays was the degree of control of the offensive players. While that is not a factor stated in the rules, it always seems to have a big impact on how refs actually enforce the rule. Triche was out of control, while Fair exhibited great athleticism in moving to avoid the contact and make the shot. Also, Morgan really took a hit while Hood engaged in a greater degree of flopping. By that standard, in most cases I think refs call the charge on Triche and a block on Hood. In all cases, though, it is a 50/50 call and you cannot get too upset when one of those calls goes against you. Of course, in both the Michigan game and last night's game, the big 50/50 charge-block calls all went against SU, and that is what drives fans and coaches crazy.

Two different scenarios. There was not going to be another game after that and Boeheim wouldn't deliberately do anything to cost the team a chance to win in the NCAAT.

This game, on the other hand, didn't mean much and his shenanigans might inspire the team or be a small step towards getting officiating fixed (lol, not gonna happen). Yeah, it would have been nice to win, but a) the chance of us losing after the foul call was overwhelming (I'm no statistician but our chance of winning after that was probably in the low single digits %) b) Duke's not our rival so what do we care? Are people going to give us less respect now? Good, that's how I like it. We obviously want to beat everybody, but there are a lot worse things than losing to Duke at Cameron... like losing to BC at home or something ridiculous.

BuffOrange said:
By the book you are correct. But if I may incorporate a human element, the Trische play is everything I hate about basketball. You have an offensive player trying to draw contact & get to the FT line more than he is trying to score vs a defender who has no intention of making any sort of play other than flopping. So two guys not really competing in the spirit of the game, and slow-motion replays & semantic debates ensue about legal guarding position. But here you have CJ with nothing on his mind other than scoring - and he did without getting out of control - and made a tremendous shot. That's what sucks about it. On the other hand, it's apples&oranges. This was a typical road game. We got less than half the calls and that's normal. The last 3minutes of the Michigan game were umm, not a normal F4 game for how 1sided it was (MCW fouls, weak lane violation, Triche charge, etc). So ya, I would've blown up much worse than JB did that game but not as much tonight.
Great post

From a technical perspective I agree with you. Morgan moved under Triche after Triche had made his offensive move to the hoop. The rule clarification this year seems to describe the Triche/Morgan scenario exactly. Last night, Hood had better established position than Morgan although I still think he moved into the player.

But the big difference between the two plays was the degree of control of the offensive players. While that is not a factor stated in the rules, it always seems to have a big impact on how refs actually enforce the rule. Triche was out of control, while Fair exhibited great athleticism in moving to avoid the contact and make the shot. Also, Morgan really took a hit while Hood engaged in a greater degree of flopping. By that standard, in most cases I think refs call the charge on Triche and a block on Hood. In all cases, though, it is a 50/50 call and you cannot get too upset when one of those calls goes against you. Of course, in both the Michigan game and last night's game, the big 50/50 charge-block calls all went against SU, and that is what drives fans and coaches crazy.
Just for fun. Your whole post was wrong.

Was anyone else hoping Cooney would jack a 3 on that possession? I know he was having a lousy game & not our go-to guy in these spots. But I think weighing in the possibility of an offensive rebound off a miss plus losing in OT anyway with a 2pt basket plus the likelyhood of something like what happened happening on the road...Not hindsight, I just think it has to be the % play there.

Morgan just flopped, trying to draw a charge, about 60 feet from his own basket.

it wasnt a charge or a block. it was a play on. there's 10 seconds left in a great game.

the douche tony greene made himself part of the game. he just pulled that call out of his @ss what a lark.

Yep - no call would have been the best call. Let the players decide the game ON the court, not have the refs decide the game IN the courts, as it were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom