The Truth is I enjoy his show ... | Syracusefan.com

The Truth is I enjoy his show ...

SU94

Starter
But it does get tiring:

Let's play Jeprody Style ...
What do the basketball programs at Arizona, Missouri, Louisville, San Diego State, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida State, Duke, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky (2x), NC State (2x), Georgia Tech, Memphis, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Alabama, and UCLA all have in common?

All are teams that Boeheim's Orangemen have played on the road or in a traditional home-and-home series while NOT a member of the same conference. I did include "neutral" games against SDSU and Kansas played on Aircraft Carrier in San Diego and Kansas City, respectively. Oh, and against Duke in Greensboro during the Big East-ACC Challenge. And some random game in Orlando against FSU. Could also include others like Purdue and URI and Penn State from the early 80s, but I'll start with the arrival of Pearl.

Di7dJaT5_normal.jpg
Doug Gottlieb (@GottliebShow)
12/17/17, 4:29 PM
Roy plays a true Road game to bring a kid home seemingly every year. Frankly it is a no lose proposition for elite schools. Sadly K and Boeheim almost never do it twitter.com/sethdavishoops…

Download the Twitter app

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
But it does get tiring:

What do the basketball programs at Arizona, Missouri, Louisville, San Diego State, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida State, Duke, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky (2x), NC State (2x), Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Alabama, and UCLA all have in common?

All are teams that Boeheim's Orangemen have played on the road or in a traditional home-and-home series while NOT a member of the same conference. I did include "neutral" games against SDSU and Kansas played on Aircraft Carrier in San Diego and Kansas City, respectively. Oh, and against Duke in Greensboro during the Big East-ACC Challenge. And some random game in Orlando against FSU. Could also include others like Purdue and URI and Penn State from the early 80s, but I'll start with the arrival of Pearl.

Di7dJaT5_normal.jpg
Roy plays a true Road game to bring a kid home seemingly every year. Frankly it is a no lose proposition for elite schools. Sadly K and Boeheim almost never do it twitter.com/sethdavishoops…

Download the Twitter app

Sent from my iPhone

Obviously trolling us. He can't really be making the argument that we should play at Montclair State or maybe at James Madison instead of at Georgetown or UConn and Kansas at neutral sites?

We could play 11 out of conference games on the road and the story would still be about all the years we didn't play 11 out of conference games on the road.

Obviously trolling us. He can't really be making the argument that we should play at Montclair State or maybe at James Madison instead of at Georgetown or UConn and Kansas at neutral sites?

We could play 11 out of conference games on the road and the story would still be about all the years we didn't play 11 out of conference games on the road.
Agreed. It's a false narrative. And BTW, quick count has SU winning around 70% of those roadies.

Truth be told, and Doug would likely crap himself if this was proven to him, but I doubt there is a better power-conference road team the last 30 years than SU. Maybe Duke and UNC. No one else is going to be close to us.

Paging SWC ...

Last edited:
But it does get tiring:

What do the basketball programs at Arizona, Missouri, Louisville, San Diego State, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida State, Duke, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky (2x), NC State (2x), Georgia Tech, Memphis, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Alabama, and UCLA all have in common?

Di7dJaT5_normal.jpg

Download the Twitter app

Sent from my iPhone
That POS ain't getting a click from me.

But it does get tiring:

Di7dJaT5_normal.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Forgive me, but I don't get it.
Is Gottlieb's comment a response to Seth Davis' Tweet praising Roy Williams for scheduling home and home with Tennessee?
If so, what does that have to do with bringing "a kid home seemingly every year" by scheduling a true road game?
UNC has no one from Tennessee on its roster.

University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site

And didn't K have a tradition of scheduling road games in or close to his seniors' hometown?
So, presumably that rarely happens now because he so rarely has a senior around.

On the bright side, at least Gottlieb seems to consider SU an "elite" program.

Don't care for Gottlieb, but what he said is true. Those homecoming games were a lot of fun; Boeheim did it for years (Hart to UCLA, McNamara in Wilkes-Barre, I think we played at Siena for Craig Forth and played someone in Rochester for the Western New York kids). Now we don't. Oh well. Not a big deal either way.

Don't care for Gottlieb, but what he said is true. Those homecoming games were a lot of fun; Boeheim did it for years (Hart to UCLA, McNamara in Wilkes-Barre, I think we played at Siena for Craig Forth and played someone in Rochester for the Western New York kids). Now we don't. Oh well. Not a big deal either way.
We don’t ever have seniors anymore.

My favorite was the year we beat Kansas at Kansas City and Florida somewhere in Florida (maybe Tampa). The pundits did not consider those "road" games. This year when UW beat Kansas in Kansas City, there was a big Jayhawk on center court.

SU just beat Colgate in front of 21,380 people. That's probably quite a bit of coin for the Program/Athletic Department. For the sake of comparison, there are only 4 other schools that even have that capacity. We're only going to give up those games, if at all, in the rarest of instances.

Gottlieb has already won by the fact that rubes post about him complaining and trying to set him straight. IGNORE! Don’t post about him...geez Louise.
Easy killer. I thought it'd be fun to compile a list of Boeheim/SU road games the last 30 or so years. If this has somehow ruined your holiday season, as it sounds like it has, well it sucks to be you.

Easy killer. I thought it'd be fun to compile a list of Boeheim/SU road games the last 30 or so years. If this has somehow ruined your holiday season, as it sounds like it has, well it sucks to be you.

Right back atcha. You did a nice job of course breaking that stuff down with the past schedules and such. I just don’t have the time nor give a damn what Gottlieb does or says.

We also played at Hershey Park Arena during Billy Owens career. Against Towson State (now just Towson).
Another factor
We don’t ever have seniors anymore.
Also ... about 70-75% of SU scholarship players the last 30 years are from the northeast corridor. So, playing in the Big East and now ACC, it does not makes much sense to schedule many of these games when we played Seton Hall or Georgetown or Nova annually.

My favorite was the year we beat Kansas at Kansas City and Florida somewhere in Florida (maybe Tampa). The pundits did not consider those "road" games. This year when UW beat Kansas in Kansas City, there was a big Jayhawk on center court.

SU just beat Colgate in front of 21,380 people. That's probably quite a bit of coin for the Program/Athletic Department. For the sake of comparison, there are only 4 other schools that even have that capacity. We're only going to give up those games, if at all, in the rarest of instances.

The best thing about the Florida game was that we outdrew Gator fans at the arena. #cuseinvasion

...coin for the Program/Athletic Department. For the sake of comparison, there are only 4 other schools that even have that capacity. We're only going to give up those games, if at all, in the rarest of instances.

This is all that needs to be said. Boeheim's been a team player since the football team stopped carrying its revenue-generating weight. (He's also cool with it because he'd just as soon keep the guys in town before conference play.)

Gottlieb's point stands, and Syracuse fans have nothing to be defensive about. Though it'd be really fun to get, say, Brissett a game at the Air Canada Centre next season, we're not doing that anymore.

This is all that needs to be said. Boeheim's been a team player since the football team stopped carrying its revenue-generating weight. (He's also cool with it because he'd just as soon keep the guys in town before conference play.)

Gottlieb's point stands, and Syracuse fans have nothing to be defensive about. Though it'd be really fun to get, say, Brissett a game at the Air Canada Centre next season, we're not doing that anymore.

OttoMets, I have always enjoyed your thoughtful, insightful posts. However, I think it is naive at this point to think that Brissett will be back next year. He has shown more NBA potential than Lydon and Richardson combined and we all know what happened with them.

OttoMets, I have always enjoyed your thoughtful, insightful posts. However, I think it is naive at this point to think that Brissett will be back next year. He has shown more NBA potential than Lydon and Richardson combined and we all know what happened with them.

Ha, a guy can hope!

Brissett is my favorite player on the team and oozes more talent and potential than Battle, IMO. Of course it is early. We don’t know how the team will perform in the ACC. Hard to say if GTown is a tournament team or not. Same with Maryland. Maybe both are like 8-10 seeds. Assuming we don’t go into a tailspin, these kids seem like they are enjoying playing with each other, enjoying the coaches, enjoying the schemes (?), etc. I think Oshae comes back. Wishful thinking but I’m going to be optimistic. There’s probably no reason for Battle to stay but let’s just dream big and speculate...

Well a tough day has gotten worse... now I have have the worry of Brissett leaving early to add to my list of woes.

Forgive me, but I don't get it.
Is Gottlieb's comment a response to Seth Davis' Tweet praising Roy Williams for scheduling home and home with Tennessee?
If so, what does that have to do with bringing "a kid home seemingly every year" by scheduling a true road game?
UNC has no one from Tennessee on its roster.

University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site

And didn't K have a tradition of scheduling road games in or close to his seniors' hometown?
So, presumably that rarely happens now because he so rarely has a senior around.

On the bright side, at least Gottlieb seems to consider SU an "elite" program.

Yeah, honestly, the first time I ever heard of a coach doing this it was Coach K.....no clue if he still does it, or if he started it, but he's the first coach I ever KNEW did it. That was a while ago as well.

I'm sure Roy heard the story, waited until the cameras were on, cried, awarded each player 3 credit hours for attending his crying session in some self-directed studies course at UNC, and then decided to do it himself. Then anonymously e-mailed Gottlieb to tell him about it. :) j/k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom