The Upside - Arkansas State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Arkansas State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We may have finally bottomed out today. Being down 15-26 at home 10:28 into the game to a 5-6 mid-major certainly looked like the bottom. But then we did what all teams need to do when they aren’t playing well: get at it on defense. We started forcing bad shots, getting rebounds blocks and steals and that got everybody moving and kick-started our offense. The last 29:32 of the game was 67-26, which is the way a Syracuse Arkansas State game should go. We still need a lot of improvement in the next two weeks to be competitive in the ACC but at least we seem headed in the right direction.

- JB didn’t start Paschal Chukwu and it seemed to finally light a fire under the big guy. He was all over the place, grabbing 13 rebounds, blocking two shots altering more and making a steal. He also showed the team how to make free throws, draining 4 of 4. What was interesting is that JB refused to praise him in the post-game presser, implying that this is what he expects from paschal. He’ll praise him if he does more than that.

- Another guy who needed asbestos shorts was Oshae Brissett. In the first half he was back to his act of jacking up long three pointers or driving into the teeth of the defense. It got him 1 point, 4 rebounds and 2 charges. In the second half he got his shot off from closer range and picked his spots to drive to the basket better. The result was 14 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block.

- Elijah Hughes was our steadiest player, hitting a couple of big threes in the first half to keep us in it and scoring 17 points with 6 points, 3 assists and even two blocks.

- But when we get going, it’s Tyus Battle who gets us going. He hit two jumpers to get us to within 29-31 and a three that gave us the lead at 35-34 and two free throws that gave it to us for good at 38-36. He also had 17 points.

- We started missing 3 of 7 free throws. Then, perhaps inspired by Chukwu, we made 23 of 26. If we’d shot like that from the line against ODU and Buffalo things might be just fine, sort of.

- Buddy Boeheim managed to score 8 points, including a three pointer. He got to the line five times. His window of opportunity may be closing for this year but if a guy can shoot, there’s always hope.

- Robert Braswell looked like a future star in garbage time. The game may have lacked intensity at that point but he was perfect on two field goals and two free throws and also had a block and a steal in just five minutes. He looked smooth and athletic and had a nice dunk. He’s scored 14 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in 29 minutes of play this year.

8-4 and with 19+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

I was particularly happy to see Oshae get back to normal in the second half. I don’t know what the heck has happened to him (and I was too depressed to read the thread about him to see people’s theories). He was one of our most consistent players last year and we need him. I wish he’d stop pretending to shoot the arrow after he makes a 3, unless it’s become some kind of good luck superstition for him, in which case, shoot away! Whatever gets you through the night, and the game.

What I thought had the potential of being the play of the day was in 2nd half, MD charged down the lane , grabbed a rebound (1 handed?) and tried to hook the ball in while moving under the backboard. I was cheering as the ball went up yelling YESS! Alas it only hit the rim but was emblematic for the teams hustle for the day and showed how it could pay off.

What I thought had the potential of being the play of the day was in 2nd half, MD charged down the lane , grabbed a rebound (1 handed?) and tried to hook the ball in while moving under the backboard. I was cheering as the ball went up yelling YESS! Alas it only hit the rim but was emblematic for the teams hustle for the day and showed how it could pay off.

And our results most of the time this season.

Yeah, that definitely had highlight reel potential. Great effort by MD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom