The Upside - BC II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - BC II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We’ve won our last three home games by a total of 49 points.

- This is the first time this year we’ve played a team twice and, typical of this year, we got exactly the opposite results. Let’s look at some of the numbers: In the first game, we had 12 assists and 10 turnovers. They had 28 assists and 13 turnovers. Tonight we had 15 assists and 6 turnovers. They had 11 assists and 20 turnovers.

- In the first game, they were 16 for 26 from three point range. Ky bowman and Jerome Robinson were 10 for 12. Tonight, they were 8 for 22. Bowman and Robinson were 2 for 11. Bowman’s early trey, (with a guy in his face), was the only shot he made all night – in 9 attempts. One of the virtues of getting into a guy’s face is that you get into his mind, too. Even when he has an open shot he’s less likely to make it because he’ll be thinking about you and hurry it. In the first game all he had to think about was the front rim of the basket.

- Boston College had exactly half the points at half time of tonight’s game, (22) as they had at halftime on New Year’s Day, (44).

- We were 20/48, (.417) inside the arc in the first game; they were 20/37 (.541). Tonight we were 22/38 (.579) and they were 11/26 (.423). Two point shooting percentage is the biggest indicator of the likelihood of victory. We didn’t make a lot of outside shots to open things up in tonight’s game but our spacing was excellent and it had the same impact.

- The Eagles had 38 points in the paint in Boston: 18 here.

- Fast break points went from 3-12 to 10-0.

- Individuals: Tyus Battle overcame a bit of a slow start to score 21 points, a career high. He had 7 in Boston. He also was a big part of our defensive effort.

- Tyler Lydon had good numbers in both games but in Boston much of his 17 points and 12 rebounds mostly came after the game was decided. Tyler was strong throughout tonight and got 16 and 6, along with 2 blocks, 2 steals and an assist. His right leg was completely taped up but he moved well and without a noticeable limp. He continues to show some post-up moves and is demanding the ball more and more.

- We actually had good individual numbers in Boston because the box score mostly measures offense. Andrew Whit e went from 22 points to 13. Tyler Roberson went for 11 points, 10 rebounds to 6/6. Taurean Thompson went from 14 points to 10. But it was a lower scoring game (177 points to 129) with a slower pace (145 possessions to 125). Those guys played as well (16 for 35 from the field in Boston vs. 11/24 tonight), and played far better defense.

- Our point guards, (Gillon and Howard), in Boston: 3 for 16 from the field, 6 assists, 4 turnovers. Tonight: 2 for 8 but with 9 assists and 2 turnovers.

- Hey! We’re 3-2 in the conference and Duke is only 2-3! We need 6 wins in 13 games to clinch a 47 consecutive winning season. That’s doable. But making the Big Dance, our next goal after that, is going to take more than that.

11-7 (3-2) with 13+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seemed that our guards (Gillion, Battle, and Howard) were more aggressive (and successful) taking the ball to the hoop. Maybe Devo's coaching is starting to have an effect, at least instilling a more aggressive attitude. Our offense is much more effective when it doesn't rely on passing the ball around the outside and launching 3s.

(Edit: after my epic rant here about nary a mention of walk-ons, I see that SWC mentioned them in the downside, but for different reasons than what I was getting at here. I'm leaving this up because it didn't seem right to erase, but I also wanted to make that mention beforehand to be fair. For some reason it felt like the time for me to mention walk ons, even though it wasnt their best performance. From my end, there wasnt a lot of material to work with after this game relative to other games, maybe because there seemed to be less board activity than usual today, so walk ones felt like the right cross to bear).

Good write up again @RealSWC75, but as a long time listener and infrequent caller, I'm curious why with all the comparisons there isnt more of a comparison between the walk on performances. Some could cry racism(or sexism as NYCSUfan prefers to call it instead), but I know you are not that type. Being I'm not like some of the others on here, I will simply write this off as simple forgetfulness. If the anti-defamation league steps in, I have some inside contacts that may be able to help you out. Now while it may not seem important, I want to defend you against the rumors that with the minutia covered that this neglect must be purposeful.

I don't believe that is the case, but I'm just a human(much of the time, anyhow) and I can't speak for you, so like the police questioning Brendan Dassey in the background as I type this(I recommend it for everyone), I have to let you answer for yourself and not lead you on. ;) (Picture me drinking a cold beverage and smoking a quality American cigarette while a hot light is causing you to sweat moderately... and being the cigarette is American, I balanced things out by making the bevarage Dos Equis, not because I wanted to drink alcohol. However, I find it(alcohold) makes the interrogation go more easily for me.

Speaking of which, the police went to take a break after grilling this Dassey kid, and like they kept telling him, we can make this really easy on you. I'm not sure if walkons normally get a lot of run in the upside or downside, but I was hoping they'd at least get some mention. After listening to a bit over an hour of this kid being interrogated, it reminded me that there are many folks who fall through the cracks in American society, even if born in a foreign country like Feldman! #WalkonsArePlayersToo (other than when they effect betting outcomes)

3girls-home.png

Last edited:
Um, gosh, I don't know what to say after the Captain's post, but would like to comment that we all could see the effort the team was making on defense and they got more than a few rounds of applause/cheers for it.

the game itself wasn't all that interesting but one of the small details that caught my eye was the interaction between lydon and roberson . the two seemed much chummier than i've seen in the past. several high fives and back and butt slaps. they really seemed to be having fun playing together . and although neither posted eye popping numbers they owned the paint tonite. rewind and just watch the two after roberson's swat block.

Last edited:
(Edit: after my epic rant here about nary a mention of walk-ons, I see that SWC mentioned them in the downside, but for different reasons than what I was getting at here. I'm leaving this up because it didn't seem right to erase, but I also wanted to make that mention beforehand to be fair. For some reason it felt like the time for me to mention walk ons, even though it wasnt their best performance. From my end, there wasnt a lot of material to work with after this game relative to other games, maybe because there seemed to be less board activity than usual today, so walk ones felt like the right cross to bear).

Good write up again @RealSWC75, but as a long time listener and infrequent caller, I'm curious why with all the comparisons there isnt more of a comparison between the walk on performances. Some could cry racism(or s e xism as NYCSUfan prefers to call it instead), but I know you are not that type. Being I'm not like some of the others on here, I will simply write this off as simple forgetfulness. If the anti-defamation league steps in, I have some inside contacts that may be able to help you out. Now while it may not seem important, I want to defend you against the rumors that with the minutia covered that this neglect must be purposeful.

I don't believe that is the case, but I'm just a human(much of the time, anyhow) and I can't speak for you, so like the police questioning Brendan Dassey in the background as I type this(I recommend it for everyone), I have to let you answer for yourself and not lead you on. ;) (Picture me drinking a cold beverage and smoking a quality American cigarette while a hot light is causing you to sweat moderately... and being the cigarette is American, I balanced things out by making the bevarage Dos Equis, not because I wanted to drink alcohol. However, I find it(alcohold) makes the interrogation go more easily for me.

Speaking of which, the police went to take a break after grilling this Dassey kid, and like they kept telling him, we can make this really easy on you. I'm not sure if walkons normally get a lot of run in the upside or downside, but I was hoping they'd at least get some mention. After listening to a bit over an hour of this kid being interrogated, it reminded me that there are many folks who fall through the cracks in American society, even if born in a foreign country like Feldman! #WalkonsArePlayersToo (other than when they effect betting outcomes)

3girls-home.png

The walk-ons to me are the walk-outs. I catch a glimpse of their efforts on the way to the men's room and then the exit. My comment on the downside was primarily based on something Matt Park said, although I did see the five guys lined up at the scorer's table and the time-out.

Your picture suggests something I did notice myself: where were the cheerleaders and the dance team? The band, or at least the Pep Squad was there.

Classic post, by the way. Reminded me of Cali.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom