The Upside - Boston College II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Boston College II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It was our 17th victory of the season. We will finish no worse than 17-14 in the regular season and can’t have more than two losses in the post-season. That means we have clinched our 49th consecutive winning season, the longest streak in the country. The record is 54 by UCLA from 1948-2002. If we can keep this going we can match their record in 2023-24 and exceed it in 2024-25. The record is very significant because it unites generals of players, coaches and fans who contributed to it and because it is the one thing that puts us in the elite class of basketball programs, along with schools that have been to more Final Fours and won more national championships than we have. North Carolina was 8-20 in 2001-02. Duke was Duke was 13-18 in 1994-95, 76-82 from 1971-77 and 38-47 in Coach K’s first three years. Kentucky was 13-13 in 1973-74 and 27-33 in 1988-90. Kansas was 19-33 from 1971-73 and 26-30 from 1981-83. They began the second longest current streak the next year, now 36 years in a row. UCLA’s streak ended with a 10-19 record the year we won the national championship, 2002-03. They’ve had three more losing records since. Connecticut? They’ve had 10 losing seasons since we last had one. No, it’s not the ultimate goal of the season. But it is the first obtainable one and without it, any other goals are impossible. And we obtained it today.

- Our half court defense over the first 12 minutes of the second half was the best I’ve seen this year. We were on every shooter, playing the passing lanes, blocking shots, getting defensive rebounds and initiating the fast break. In those 12 minutes, the Eagles were 5 for 17 from the field and had 6 turnovers.

- After having the fast break points against Florida State be 4-29, today it was 12-3. Points in the paint went from 18-38 to 30-16. In other words, we went back to winning basketball.

- Marek Dolezaj was amazing, playing out of position at center after Chukwu and Sidibe played it with a red cape. The Slender Slovak had 7 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks. That doesn’t cover his aggressive and intelligent positioning and his hustle to loose balls. He was the key to the great defense we played in that 12 minute period that gave us the ultimately insurmountable 20 point lead.

- Buddy Boeheim had a career high 16 points on 4 for 5 treys and 4 for 4 from the foul line. He didn’t shoot a hugely open shot he had while we were draining the clock with 1:17 left even though the crowd was urging him to shoot. Buddy’s a good boy and he knowns which side of the bread his butter is spread on. When it comes to what the crowd wants vs. what the coach wants, Daddy wins.

- Oshea Brissett, after getting 13 double-doubles last year but only 4 in our first 21 games, got his third in a row with 12 points and 12 rebounds. He was also very active on defense.

- Tyus Battle had 21 points on 8 for 13 shooting, all two-pointers. He made some very determined drives to the basket and went aggressively to the basket on the fast break.

- Ky Bowman, their answer to Tyus Battle, missed the first five minutes for disciplinary reasons but still scored 21 points on 7 for 12 shooting. Why is this on the Upside? His teammates missed 31 of their 42 shots. Bowman was their only real weapon and that wasn’t enough to beat us.

17-7 (8-3) and with 7+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
I'm assuming 22 blocks is a typo. Nice writeup otherwise, as always.

How many assists did OB have tonight? He's finally realizing he can kick the ball out to Buddy/Hughes when his path to the basket is blocked.

Really impressed with the way he's been taking the ball to the rim lately. Strong!

I'm assuming 22 blocks is a typo. Nice writeup otherwise, as always.

Are you actually daring to imply that my magical fingers might occasionally mistype something? (Thanks - I fixed it.)

How many assists did OB have tonight? He's finally realizing he can kick the ball out to Buddy/Hughes when his path to the basket is blocked.

Really impressed with the way he's been taking the ball to the rim lately. Strong!

Oshae had 2 assists. But then, assists are the one stat that is an opinion.

Excellent write up, as usual. The opening line of the Marek portion got a smile out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom