The Upside- Boston College II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Boston College II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- With this win, Syracuse has now had 50 winning seasons in a row and I’ve bene privileged to see all of it, from Bill Smith and Kid Kohls in 1970-71 to Elijah Hughes and Buddy Boeheim in 2019-2020. If North Carolina can’t make a strong run in the ACCT, every other major college team has had at least two non-winning seasons in that run. Yes, the ultimate goal is a run in the NCAAT but we can go to the NIT one year and win the national championship the next, (as we did in 2002-2003). One non-winning season and the streak floats away like a balloon, never to return. It didn’t happen this year. Five more such seasons and we pass UCLA for the longest streak of all time.

- Elijah Hughes scored 28 points and could have had 40 if we had gotten him the ball more. BC had no answer for him.

- Buddy Boeheim hit a couple of shots early in the second half to get us a 13 point lead. BC never quite got back into the game after that. Buddy wound up with 21 points. I like the fact that he was 4 for 4 inside the arc. They were all jump shots he set up by going past his defender on the perimeter.

- Bourama Sidibe had his fourth straight strong game with 9 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals and a block, reinforcing the notion that he’s starting to come into his own late in his junior year, (as our last really good center, Rakeem Christmas did). In those four games he’s played 114 minutes, (in itself an accomplishment in light of his foul problems), scored 45 points, grabbed 47 rebounds, stolen the ball 11 times and blocked 12 shots. Maybe the most impressive thing tonight was that half of his 12 rebounds were offensive rebounds, which give him a stronger chance to score than in the normal offense.

- Marek Dolezaj had 0 fouls. That’s Z-E-R-O fouls. He’s done that in one prior game this year: the January 4th, (first) Notre Dame game. We’ll need him playing entire games in the post season. The whole team got called for 11 fouls in the whole game. Elijah and Bourama were the only players with 3 fouls. It’s fun to play with all your guys.

- Jesse Edwards looked good in his brief three minutes, scoring 3 points and getting two rebounds. Perhaps his most impressive play came when he grabbed an offensive rebound, missed a shot, grabbed another O-reb and hesitated, thought for a second and then tossed it back out to work some more clock and get a better shots – by somebody else.

- Brycen Goodine and Howard Washington played a total of 21 minutes and scored 9 points, going 7 for 7 from the foul line.

- We gave up a ridiculous 19 three pointers and won by 13 anyway.

- This is on the Upside but it’s kind of sad from BC’s point of view. I heard cheers every time and SU player made a good play throughout the game. The radio was slightly ahead of the TV feed and I assumed something good had happened for Boston College, then saw that something good had happened for Syracuse. Matt Park said that the SU fans outnumbered the BC fans by about a 2-1 margin- in their place!

17-13 (10-9) with 1+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
Five more such seasons and we pass UCLA for the longest streak of all time.
Assuming JB retires when Buddy graduates-
New coach taking over reins better get those last 3 winning seasons to add to JB's legacy-
Imagine fallout if new coach goes sub - .500 and breaks the streak before 55 winning seasons! :confused:
Of course, bar much higher than .500 -hope SU doesn't struggle to meet it again -EVER!

One minor nit - I’m pretty sure Eli had 3 fouls also.

But yes! Marek with ZERO and CDB with only 3 is cause for great celebration!

Buddy may have scored more than he gave up.
JGIII- not so much.

Psyched to see HoWash & Goodine get minutes in the first & second half.
Wish that was something we did all along...

buddy , joe and marek all slipped back in the ACC mpg chart. you see ... JB does read this forum !

(elijah trails k. clark by .2 avg. minutes for the title but has also played 2 more games)

One minor nit - I’m pretty sure Eli had 3 fouls also.

But yes! Marek with ZERO and CDB with only 3 is cause for great celebration!

Buddy may have scored more than he gave up.
JGIII- not so much.

Got crossed up by the ESPN box score after the game which still had Elijah with 2 and the team with 10. Later, looking at the Cuse.com, I noticed we had 11 fouls but didn't notice that Elijah had 3. I've corrected it now.

Assuming JB retires when Buddy graduates-
New coach taking over reins better get those last 3 winning seasons to add to JB's legacy-
Imagine fallout if new coach goes sub - .500 and breaks the streak before 55 winning seasons! :confused:
Of course, bar much higher than .500 -hope SU doesn't struggle to meet it again -EVER!
For me anyway I'm not judging the replacement until I see what the cupboard is like when he gets here.

For me anyway I'm not judging the replacement until I see what the cupboard is like when he gets here.
Likewise!
Just realized that a new coach probably takes over "unfinished business" to complete JB's legacy, with SU needing 3 winning seasons for the NCAA record.
Changes Of The Guard can be smooth, or not. The nearing record will hang over new HC's head a bit.
If a losing season occurs with light at end of the 52+ year tunnel, there WILL be consternation! ;)
Then, life will go on...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom