The Upside- Bucknell | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Bucknell

SWC75

Bored Historian
- 97-46! Over Bucknell, the dominant program in the Patriot league, (8 of the last 9 titles). Wow. Just wow.

- We haven’t bene able to say this in years, but this team is a joy to watch. They moved the ball quickly and unselfishly. 2, 3-4 guys would touch it and the guy who attempted the shot would be wide open. And when Hughes, Boeheim or Girard are wide open, they aren’t going to miss. We had 25 assists in this game. It wasn’t just the shots falling. It was how we got the shots….

- The 2017 team could shoot but they didn’t play much defense. This team plays defense. We had 14 steals and 13 blocks! Bucknell shot 36% from two and 12.5% from three. We not only maintained contact but played the passing lanes, got plenty of help defense and trapped them under the basket or in the corners repeatedly.

- We also out-rebounded them 32-19. We rebounded 39% of our misses and 72% of theirs.

- Elijah Hughes is an NBA player on our roster for this season. Players think the way to audition for the league is to jack up three pointers. I think it’s a better idea to show what an all-around plyer you are and that’s what Elijah is doing. Today he scored 21 points, including 5 three pointers, grabbed 6 rebounds, had 5 assists, 2 steals and other one of his ‘form out of nowhere’ blocks and a thunderous sports center dunk. He was the best player on the court and usually will be this year.

- Buddy Boeheim put on a clinic, hitting 6 of 8 three pointers and going inside the arc for a couple more for 22 points. He also had 4 assists and a couple of steals, although it seemed like more.

- Basically, everybody had a good game. Joe Girard had 12 points and 6 assists. Bourama Sidibie had 9 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Jesse Edwards scored 10 points on 5 for 5 shooting. Marek Dolezaj had 6 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assist, 3 blocks and 2 steals. Quincy Guerrier was within sight of a double-double with 8 points and 8 boards. Brycen Goodine had 6 points and 3 steals. Howard Washington has 3 points and 3 assists.

- It was old-fashioned basketball. Pass the ball, make shots, steal passes, block shots. It was about skill, not muscle and the teams went up and down the court.

4-1 with 26+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

Elijah is phenomenal.

Honestly, after the Virginia game (and yes, I was one of THOSE board members) whoever thought you would type the sentence “this team is a joy to watch?” It was a joy for me to read those words! Now let’s hope the memory of this game will be with all the players when they are playing in the lights of the Barclays Center. And I pray to the basketball gods (specifically, the Orange ones) that we will be able to erase the performance of our last games in NYC.

Sidebe foul shooting look better the past few games. Great bonus if he can hit them at a good rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom