The Upside- Buffalo | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Buffalo

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It doesn’t seem to matter who surrenders the 13 point lead – we still win.

- Oshae Brissett was 16 for 16 from the foul line. Jonny Flynn was the same in the 6OT game. Kid Kohls was once 17 for 17. Oshae shot poorly from the field (4 of 11) but wound up with All-America numbers anyway: 25 points 8 rebounds.

- Let’s face it: Frank Howard will never be perfect but he produces number and makes big shots, including the trey that gave us the lead for good, (right after Wes Clark picked his pocket to make it 67-68). He’s kind of the reverse Tyler Ennis, who was so careful that he slowed everything down but never made mistakes. As long as we have a productive point guard.

- Tyus Battle was heavily defended and only got 8 shots off. But he scored 13 points and diversified his game with 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 steals.

- Matthew Moyer nearly had a double-double with 12 points and 9 rebounds. He then sat on the bench while Marek Dolejai scored 6 points and grabbed 4 rebounds while getting 2 assists and a steal. Those guys share the small forward position. I’ll take 18 points and 13 rebounds from it any night.

- Paschal Chukwu was worked over inside by the shorter but stronger Nick Perkins (6-8 225). But he did score 5 points, grab 5 rebounds and blocked 8 shots.

- We sustained an 8-22 second half run and an 0-6 run that wiped out a 67-62 lead. It didn’t phase our team and SU closed the game on an 14-6 run with Brissett draining free throws. We made the plays to win that game. That’s what it’s all about this season. We aren’t going to win by 20 points but we aren’t going to lose by 20 points. Just make the plays to win the game!

10-1 with 20+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

I think MM and MD share the 4, OB @ the 3

The line is blurred with this team. I associate the 4 with scoring and rebounding and OShae is our best combination of both.

Matt had 10 and 8 with 3 or 4 minutes to go in the first half; looked like he was on his way to a career game. Still, as you note, good production from that position with a lot of improvement still to be made.

The line is blurred with this team. I associate the 4 with scoring and rebounding and OShae is our best combination of both.
In the zone (and defensive rebounding), the forward positions (obviously) are the same.
On offense, the SF sets up on the perimeter/wing, handles more, takes more shots. That is where Oshae plays. We typically have had 3 perimeter players (2 guards and the SF) in JB's offense.
No blurring in this line-up.

FWIW. JB likes to have the 4 pass the ball inbounds after made baskets and that seems to be OB's role.

In the zone (and defensive rebounding), the forward positions (obviously) are the same.
On offense, the SF sets up on the perimeter/wing, handles more, takes more shots. That is where Oshae plays. We typically have had 3 perimeter players (2 guards and the SF) in JB's offense.
No blurring in this line-up.

Actually some of our best teams have had two power forwards, (Coleman and Ownes, Anthony and Warrick, arguably Wallace and Burgen). I'm not going to elevate Brissett and Moyer/Dolezaj to that level quite yet but you could argue that they are both power forwards, thus the superior rebounding we have had. I would certainly not call Moyer and Dolezaj "perimeter players". If either shot from out there, JB would probably pull them. Meanwhile, if Brissett averages a double-double, nobody is going to evaluate him against the nation's small forwards.

Actually some of our best teams have had two power forwards, (Coleman and Ownes, Anthony and Warrick, arguably Wallace and Burgen). I'm not going to elevate Brissett and Moyer/Dolezaj to that level quite yet but you could argue that they are both power forwards, thus the superior rebounding we have had. I would certainly not call Moyer and Dolezaj "perimeter players". If either shot from out there, JB would probably pull them. Meanwhile, if Brissett averages a double-double, nobody is going to evaluate him against the nation's small forwards.
It seems you are using PF as a description of the player's contributions (the total rebounds, offense & defense, in Brissett's case?) rather than his role in the offense. In the examples you gave, Coleman was the PF, Owens the SF; Warrick the PF, Anthony the SF; Wallace the PF, Burgen the SF). There are some variations in play, of course -- some of our PF have been shooters as well as inside players. Wallace, for example, expanded his game in his junior & senior years.

If Brissett continues to work the perimeter, takes a fair number of jumpers from the perimeter, he will be viewed as a SF in our offense. Moyer/Dolezaj are not playing the SF position when Brissett is in the game.

It seems you are using PF as a description of the player's contributions (the total rebounds, offense & defense, in Brissett's case?) rather than his role in the offense. In the examples you gave, Coleman was the PF, Owens the SF; Warrick the PF, Anthony the SF; Wallace the PF, Burgen the SF). There are some variations in play, of course -- some of our PF have been shooters as well as inside players. Wallace, for example, expanded his game in his junior & senior years.

If Brissett continues to work the perimeter, takes a fair number of jumpers from the perimeter, he will be viewed as a SF in our offense. Moyer/Dolezaj are not playing the SF position when Brissett is in the game.

It's the difference between the split end and the flanker. The term "power" comes from the ability of the player to score and get rebounds. JB doesn't mind if the "small" forward does that. Maybe the distinction is between the "power forward" and the "4" in diagramming a play. The latter designation is about a player's role in executing a play. the former is about his capabilities.

I associate the 4 with rebounding and playing closer to the basket. I want my 3's on the wings

I'm starting to get worried that Brissett might be so good he'll be a one-and-done.

I'm starting to get worried that Brissett might be so good he'll be a one-and-done.

Frankly that seems obvious. Fortunately we aren't the Syracuse Chiefs. Players can't be called up in mid-season. Enjoy these guys while they are here. I gave up sweating it out when McCullough left with his torn ACL. You would think players would want to maximize their talents before presenting themselves to the pros for judgement because so few players make their rosters and they're be a new batch next year. But such logic obviously doesn't govern things so I no longer bother to apply it.

I associate the 4 with rebounding and playing closer to the basket. I want my 3's on the wings

Brissett Making Immediate Impact

"We talked to Oshae about how this was just one of those games where you had to take it to the basket, and he just took it to the basket," head coach Jim Boeheim said after the game. "That's what I think he does best."

"The Mississauga, Ontario native leads the Orange and ranks sixth in the ACC in rebounding, averaging 9.5 per game. "

We really don't have a '3' on this roster. Our forwards are all power forwards at this level. Brissett is the one that can shoot.

Brissett Making Immediate Impact

"We talked to Oshae about how this was just one of those games where you had to take it to the basket, and he just took it to the basket," head coach Jim Boeheim said after the game. "That's what I think he does best."

"The Mississauga, Ontario native leads the Orange and ranks sixth in the ACC in rebounding, averaging 9.5 per game. "

We really don't have a '3' on this roster. Our forwards are all power forwards at this level. Brissett is the one that can shoot.
I think you are in the minority of people who think Brissett is a 4. Moyer is our 4, Brissett is the 3. And to Shark's point taking it to the basket is different than playing closer to the basket.

And I don't who the higher scoring forward is has any bearing on what the position is called. And for the record, I believe both Wes and Melo were playing the 3 here.

I think you are in the minority of people who think Brissett is a 4. Moyer is our 4, Brissett is the 3. And to Shark's point taking it to the basket is different than playing closer to the basket.

And I don't who the higher scoring forward is has any bearing on what the position is called. And for the record, I believe both Wes and Melo were playing the 3 here.

I don't have a problem with him being labelled a "3". That's a position when you diagram plays. But the "power" in power forward means that you score and your rebound. Small forwards can score but they don't average 9.5 rebounds a game. It's possible to have two power forwards, one of whom is a "4" and the other a "3". Like I said, flankers and split ends.

I don't have a problem with him being labelled a "3". That's a position when you diagram plays. But the "power" in power forward means that you score and your rebound. Small forwards can score but they don't average 9.5 rebounds a game. It's possible to have two power forwards, one of whom is a "4" and the other a "3". Like I said, flankers and split ends.
Well, you started it...

To me, the "power" in power forward has nothing to do with scoring. Moyer is our power forward this year, Roberson was the power forward last year. And not so long ago, in his early years Rac started as the power forward. None of them were/are considered scorers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom