The Upside- Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- People were talking about Clemson scoring 100 points on us after they waxed Georgia Tech 73-7 while we were losing to Liberty last week. Well, we battled them all way, if not always efficiently and had a chance to win. Even with the turnovers, we beat the spread by 20 points and Vegas is handing out money to some SU fans.

- This performance will blow away some of the clouds that have hung over the program, giving us some hope, at least for the future. I’m not sure what to make of the rest of the season but a shot of confidence, or maybe it’s just self-respect, was welcome.

- For all our problems, we’ve been in every game going into the fourth quarter. We really haven’t been blown out by anyone. Maybe we can get through the season that way, although Notre Dame looks pretty good.

- We’ve actually competed pretty well with Clemson since joining the ACC. The 2013 game was a 14-49 blow-out in the Dome. 2014 was a 6-16 at Clemson, (deShaun Watson was out). 2015 was an improbable 27-37 shoot-out between Watson and Zach Mahoney that was as close as the score indicated. 2016 was an 0-54 disaster at Clemson that set up the 27-24 miracle in the Dome the next year. we also beat them again, 23-27 in Death Valley in 2018. Last year the game was only 6-17 until the dam broke late in the third period. And this year we gave they all they wanted. The Orange gets up for the orange.

- We out-gained Clemson 198-133 in the second half after winning the second quarter 14-10. Duke and Liberty had both rushed for over 300 yards but the Tigers got just 147 yards.

- Trevor Lawrence passed for 298 yards but seemed reluctant to throw deep. He also threw a pick six.

- Nykeim Johnson is having a fine year. Today he caught an 83 yard bomb from Culppper and out-ran a guy who looked like a linebacker, (or maybe Nykeim just made him look like one) to the goal line. Then he had a 61 yard end around where he couldn’t quite get past hat last guy, (and then Rex threw the interception on the next play).

- People complain about our recruiting, (especially when we lose), but you can’t complain about our defense backs. Trill Wiilaims-Andre Cisco-Eric Coley-Iffy Melifonwu were quite a group, (although getting them all healthy together reminded me of when my Mets were supposed to have a dominant rotation of Harvey-Wheeler-DeGrom-Syndergaard-Matz) but Garrett Williams seems like he belongs in that group, with a pick six, a touchdown-saving break up and other near interception and another play I remember where he broke up a swing pass by hurling his little body into a much larger receiver. Neil Nunn, Rob Hanna and Ja'Had Carter are good. (And Duce Chestnut is on the way.)

- The recruiting at linebacker has also been good. Mikel Jones is going to be an All American someday. Lee Kpogba, (pronounced ‘Koba’), hit ‘em hard. Geoff Cantin-Arku and Steve Linton are good.

- We found out that we have more than just Taj Harris at wide-out. Anthony Queeley is not as explosive as Harris but is solid and reliable, which Harris is not. And Ed Hendrix is big and strong enough to make tough catches in traffic. I can see why you wouldn’t want him running into you.

- We got a peek at Jacobian Morgan, who apparently had beaten out Dillian Markiewicz and David Summers, (as well as Luke McPhail- don’t forget him) for the back-up QB spot. Unfortunately, he was under orders not to do anything but hand off. He looked quite the physical specimen, much as Clemson’s back-up guy, D.J. Uiagalelei (sound it out), looked. D. J. at least got to throw some bad passes.

1-5 with 5(?) to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- People were talking about Clemson scoring 100 points on us after they waxed Georgia Tech 73-7 while we were losing to Liberty last week. Well, we battled them all way, if not always efficiently and had a chance to win. Even with the turnovers, we beat the spread by 20 points and Vegas is handing out money to some SU fans.

- This performance will blow away some of the clouds that have hung over the program, giving us some hope, at least for the future. I’m not sure what to make of the rest of the season but a shot of confidence, or maybe it’s just self-respect, was welcome.

- For all our problems, we’ve been in every game going into the fourth quarter. We really haven’t been blown out by anyone. Maybe we can get through the season that way, although Notre Dame looks pretty good.

- We’ve actually competed pretty well with Clemson since joining the ACC. The 2013 game was a 14-49 blow-out in the Dome. 2014 was a 6-16 at Clemson, (deShaun Watson was out). 2015 was an improbable 27-37 shoot-out between Watson and Zach Mahoney that was as close as the score indicated. 2016 was an 0-54 disaster at Clemson that set up the 27-24 miracle in the Dome the next year. we also beat them again, 23-27 in Death Valley in 2018. Last year the game was only 6-17 until the dam broke late in the third period. And this year we gave they all they wanted. The Orange gets up for the orange.

- We out-gained Clemson 198-133 in the second half after winning the second quarter 14-10. Duke and Liberty had both rushed for over 300 yards but the Tigers got just 147 yards.

- Trevor Lawrence passed for 298 yards but seemed reluctant to throw deep. He also threw a pick six.

- Nykeim Johnson is having a fine year. Today he caught an 83 yard bomb from Culppper and out-ran a guy who looked like a linebacker, (or maybe Nykeim just made him look like one) to the goal line. Then he had a 61 yard end around where he couldn’t quite get past hat last guy, (and then Rex threw the interception on the next play).

- People complain about our recruiting, (especially when we lose), but you can’t complain about our defense backs. Trill Wiilaims-Andre Cisco-Eric Coley-Iffy Melifonwu were quite a group, (although getting them all healthy together reminded me of when my Mets were supposed to have a dominant rotation of Harvey-Wheeler-DeGrom-Syndergaard-Matz) but Garrett Williams seems like he belongs in that group, with a pick six, a touchdown-saving break up and other near interception and another play I remember where he broke up a swing pass by hurling his little body into a much larger receiver. Neil Nunn, Rob Hanna and Ja'Had Carter are good. (And Duce Chestnut is on the way.)

- The recruiting at linebacker has also been good. Mikel Jones is going to be an All American someday. Lee Kpogba, (pronounced ‘Koba’), hit ‘em hard. Geoff Cantin-Arku and Steve Linton are good.

- We found out that we have more than just Taj Harris at wide-out. Anthony Queeley is not as explosive as Harris but is solid and reliable, which Harris is not. And Ed Hendrix is big and strong enough to make tough catches in traffic. I can see why you wouldn’t want him running into you.

- We got a peek at Jacobian Morgan, who apparently had beaten out Dillian Markiewicz and David Summers, (as well as Luke McPhail- don’t forget him) for the back-up QB spot. Unfortunately, he was under orders not to do anything but hand off. He looked quite the physical specimen, much as Clemson’s back-up guy, D.J. Uiagalelei (sound it out), looked. D. J. at least got to throw some bad passes.

1-5 with 5(?) to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
I’ll add one other item, at least in my opinion: The fight that we showed should help to further reassure our incoming recruits that there is something worth joining and that the future could be quite bright indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom