The Upside- Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- After a start that suggested a disaster was coming, Syracuse impressively took over the game against a decent Colgate team that had given some “big boys” a lot of trouble and out-scored them 59-28 over a 28:14 stretch to put the game away and allow JB to give his deep bench some experience.

- The offense took a long time to get going but the defense was there the whole game, (at least until garbage time). We kept contact with their shooters, closed down the inside game and made 9 steals and 6 blocks. Colgate shot 30% for the game, 31.7% on threes and only 5 for 19 on two point shots.

- The big news, of course, is that the Jalen Carey era ended and the Joe Girard era began at the point. Joe actually didn’t have much of an impact when he first came in. He just kept the ball moving around. He seemed too short to be able to make an impact, (he is listed at 6-1 but was clearly shorter than Jordan Burns, who is listed at 6-0). But has the game went on his found his mojo and started hitting shots, making some interesting passes and making steals, (3 of them).
He has a quick release and great range, although he is far from automatic, (he was 1 for 4 from three point range). But he’s the kind of guy who could go off for 5 or 6 in a row, (memories of GMAC in the first half vs. Kansas). His shot is soft enough to bleed in even when it’s a bit off. His dribble is quick and low to the ground. He has quick hands on defense and knows how to play the passing lanes.

- Another big piece of news was that Bourama Sidibie was dominant inside with 12 points and 14 rebounds. He was only credited with 1 block but surely had more than that. He certainly choked a lot of shots off. He moved smoothly and athletically with no sign of his knee problems. JB obviously lit a fire under the big guys. The question is: is it an eternal flame or just a flick of his Bic? If it’s permanent, our problems are over inside.

- But the guy who turned this game around was Buddy Boeheim, who showed that he’s become an all-around player. It was 1-9 when Sidibie made a couple of baskets to get us to 5-11 and then Buddy hit consecutive three pointers to tie it at 11-11 Then he made a terrific move dribbling around the defense and banking in a lay-up to give us the lead at 17-15. He had 17 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. He and Girard make a quick-handed pair at the top of the zone.

- The biggest strength of this team is that we have various guys who can take over a game at different points. Elijah Hughes was quiet until we fell behind again at 17-18 with 7:28 left in the half. Elijah hit a three pointer off a fast break and two pointer off a drive to give us a lead we didn’t surrender at 22-18. He wound up with 14 points, including 3 for 6 from three point range. Much of the time he was handling the ball – and passing it off. He had 8 assists! He added 3 rebounds, 2 steals and a remarkable block when he came up from behind 6-9 Will Raymon and slapped what could have bene a dunk away. Hughes is becoming the all-around player he will have to be to make it on the next level.

- Marek Dolezaj played with an aggressiveness I haven’t seen before. He committed four fouls and got the lien four times making three. He had 7 points, 6 rebounds 2 steals and 1 assist. He wowed the crowd with a mid-court spin move, (that from the clip I just saw on the late news wasn’t actually necessary) and a flying dunk. What got into the guy?

- We ruled the boards 42-31, after being skunked by Virginia on the boards.

- I like the looks of Jesse Edwards. He seems to know what is going on out there and how to use his length to disrupt the other team’s offense in the paint. He also has some nice offensive moves. Why does someone who is just learning the game look as if he’s played it all his life while much more highly rated recruits who have bene playing it all their lives like Jalen Carey and Quincy Guerrier struggle so much?

- It was good to see Howard Washington out there, (although he looked much different with a beard and dreadlocks). He didn’t have to do much to make it a happy occasion but he did fine, scoring 3 points and dishing a couple of assists in just 7:39.

- Who says JB doesn’t have the fire burning inside him anymore? I looked down at the sideline late in a game we’d wrapped up long before and saw that his jacket as disappeared and he was coaching his shirtsleeves, something that he only does when he’s upset about something. Even in that Duke game, he put it back on.

- I think we’re going to be pretty good.

1-1 with 29 to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

I am surprised to see Quincy struggle so much, because in Italy he looked like a man among boys. He rebounded very well and hit a fair number of 3’s. Yes, inferior opponents, but still. So, he becomes a work in progress, and I hope he learns quickly, because we need him

I was so pleased for Sidibe! He has waited years for this.

Girard on point had to happen. He hasn’t found his magic shot yet in college, but he will. Having a point guard who is a threat to score helps us significantly.

Marek’s dunk cannot be done justice in the videos. He electrified the Dome, and we needed it! What made it fun was its improbability. He is coming down the court, makes his twirl around, and it seemed to me that time slowed down while he was considering his options. Then he fearlessly goes for the two-handed throw down! It’s all about confidence and moxy at this point for our team. Way to go, Marek!

the defense is really strong for such a young team so early in the year

held colgate to 0.84 points per possession. in their last game, colgate managed 0.96 ppp vs clemson, who had the 14th best defense in the nation last year

as the offense continues to evolve, and if guerrier can live up to 75% of the hype, this team will be pretty good my mid season

I am surprised to see Quincy struggle so much, because in Italy he looked like a man among boys. He rebounded very well and hit a fair number of 3’s. Yes, inferior opponents, but still. So, he becomes a work in progress, and I hope he learns quickly, because we need him

I was so pleased for Sidibe! He has waited years for this.

Girard on point had to happen. He hasn’t found his magic shot yet in college, but he will. Having a point guard who is a threat to score helps us significantly.

Marek’s dunk cannot be done justice in the videos. He electrified the Dome, and we needed it! What made it fun was its improbability. He is coming down the court, makes his twirl around, and it seemed to me that time slowed down while he was considering his options. Then he fearlessly goes for the two-handed throw down! It’s all about confidence and moxy at this point for our team. Way to go, Marek!

I think Guerrier just needs touches. He hardly touched the ball until late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom