The Upside- Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It would have been nice to beat Kansas but this team needed to win this game badly and they did it.

- This isn’t the Connecticut program that won four national championships. They didn’t have NBA players across the front line or a Final Four backcourt. But it said “UCONN” on the uniforms and we won and I’ll take that.

- Matthew Moyer has contributed as much as his shadow all year and suddenly turned into the player we thought he might be. As JB said in his presser “I hope he can build on that”. If so he’ll be building on an 18 point 8 rebounds, 7 of 9 form the field performance.

- I just heard a discussion on the radio as to who our “player of the game” was and they chose Moyer. I don’t disagree but really, in every game it’s Tyus Battle plus anybody tied with Tyus Battle. He made some big shots to get the lead back out to 16. Then Connecticut doubled him and his teammates couldn’t maintain the lead. Fortunately, it was large enough that they couldn’t completely surrender it against a very limited UCONN team. Tyus scored 22 points, had 3 assists and 5 steals, a typical scoring game and a better floor game than he’s bene having. Yes, he’s going to get even better.

- Oshae Brissett had another double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. I’m actually shocked it was only 10 rebounds. He seemed to be out-rebounding the whole Connecticut team. Our 37-26 overall edge on the boards was the deciding factor in the game.

- Paschal Chukwu had fouled out and Bourama Sidibie was hurting due to knee and ankle injuries so Jim put Marek Dolezaj in at center, (against a team that didn’t have a big center), and Marek used his quickness and smarts to play well. He didn’t have big numbers but he had a lot of them: 3 points, 1 rebound, 1 assists, 2 steals and a block. He also tipped a lot of balls away from the Huskies and toward his teammates.

- Paschal made o 4 of his last 5 free throws against Kansas and was 4 for 6 in this game. He’s not that good but he’s no longer the automatic miss guy he seemed to be.

7-1 with 23+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

That would be very big if Chukwu could get to around 60% or higher from the FT line. On another note, he absolutely has to find a way to stay out of foul trouble, particularly with Sidibe's health issues right now.

That would be very big if Chukwu could get to around 60% or higher from the FT line. On another note, he absolutely has to find a way to stay out of foul trouble, particularly with Sidibe's health issues right now.

He was 24/40 from the line his one season at Providence. That's exactly 60%.

He was 24/40 from the line his one season at Providence. That's exactly 60%.

I would take that in a second from him this season.

An additional positive is the win helps keep increasing the odds of a winning season. Nice to hear about UConn's losing season just last year. It happens. Can easily see 10 wins from here.

And now as attention turns to SU's NCAAT bid chances, this win helps. Mostly from a win away from the Dome perspective. Last year not only was UConn a bad loss, but it was a miss of a win away from the Dome. And last year our lack of wins away from the Dome hurt. Good to get one early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom