The Upside- Cornell | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Cornell

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We were favored by 20 and won 72-53. Nobody’s going to be calling the Dome asking what the heck happened to Syracuse.

- We made some pretty plays early in each half and occasionally after that, with good ball movement leading to open shots for our best shooters that they didn’t miss.

- The “Battle of the Boeheims” was won by the whole family. Jimmy didn’t shoot the lights out: he was 7 for 16 overall, 5 for 9 on twos and 2 for 7 on threes. But he got through our zone defense to get to the line for 9 for 11 and 25 total points, the game’s highest total. His younger brother Buddy was our second leading scorer with 16 points on 6 for 18, including 4 for 13 from the arc. But he never got to the line. He did have the better floor game with 2 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal to 2/2/0 for Jimmy.

- We have a lot of interesting players on this team but there’s no doubt as to who is the best. Elijah Hughes scored 22 points tonight and had 3 rebounds and 7 assists. He had no assists against Virginia, (we had almost no assists against Virginia). Since then Elijah has had 19 assists in three games. Oshae Brissett thought that the way to impress the NBA was to jack up three pointers. I think Elijah has a better idea: score and then use the defensive attention to set up passes to his teammates for scores. I’m sure the NBA is impressed with that.

- Quincy Guerrier scored 10 points and had 5 rebounds in just 16 minutes. He made his only three point attempt. He’s starting to realize that we need his help inside.

- Marek Dolezaj, after a bad first half, came out strong in the second half, with a defensive rebound and a coast-to-coast score. He also made a couple of jumpers assisted by Joe Girard to push the one point halftime lead to 39-33. He wound up with those 6 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists.

- Joe Girard is listed as 6-1 but it probably 6 minus 1 yet he may be our best rebounder. He had 6 tonight after getting 5 last time. He uses his shooters instinct to determine when a jump shot is likely to miss and where it’s likely to go.

- 18 of our 25 shots were assisted. We are moving the ball & pushing it better than we have since the early days of the decade.

- Our perimeter defense was still good. Colgate shot 22.1% from three point range.

- We won the boards 15-9 in the second half to wind up +6 for the game.

- We had only 7 turnovers, despite a run of Cornell steals in the first half.

3-1 with 27+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

From reading the board it was an ugly win. But it was a win with us scoring 72 pts. I'm loving it. We got out of the 50s and the 60s. Hip hip hooray.

And that's after only scoring 26 in the first half.

With all the good teams losing to bad teams this year. I'll take an ugly 19 point win any day.

close game well into the second half. as you pointed out the assists are up and ball movement improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom