The Upside- Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
- That one shot got us our 47th straight winning season, (we can’t wind up worse than 17-16), and, according to Joe Lunardi anyway, will put us in the NCAA tournament. It wasn’t as far out as the Pearl’s shot but it was with a guy in Gillon’s face. It might just be the greatest shot in Su history. And – maybe the best part- It was a Lamizana shot!

- It was the 8th straight game where we were down by double digits – and we’ve won 5 of them! But this one was different because the double digit deficit was in the first half and we never had to abandon our half-court game to make the comeback. Instead we played the best defense we have all year- holding Duke to 39% shooting, including 23 misses in 33 three point attempts.

- Coach said that we are undefeated when John Gillon plays well. I’m not sure of that but I know we are undefeated when he plays great. His numbers may not have bene as gaudy as in the NC State but they were pretty gaudy: 26 points on 9 for 14 from the field, 3 for 4 from the three point arc and 5 for 5 from the foul line with 6 assists and 0 turnovers. I think it could be said that when he does that, we are unlikely to lose – regardless of who we are playing. He scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half on 7 for 9 shooting.

- John missed his second free throw with 2:07 left in the Florida State game. We was 8 for 8 down the stretch of that game, 14 for 14 vs. NC State, didn’t get to the line against Virginia, went 7 for 7 vs. Clemson, 5 for 5 vs. Pitt, 2 for 2 against Louisville, and Georgia Tech and 5 for 5 in this game. That’s 43 made free throws in a row. He’s now shooting 86.5% from the line for the eyar. But then Andrew White is 82.4% and Tyler Lydon is 81.7%. They were both 4 for 4 today as we made 22 of 25 free throws, 88%- a higher percentage than Gillon has for the year!. 18 for 25 is 72%, which isn’t bad- except it would have lost us the game.

- Tyus Battle seems to be over the flu and he’s making the other teams sick again. He scored 8 of 10 points as we went from down 37-42 to tied at 47 and wound up with 18 points.

- We shot 553% from two point range, 55% from three point range and 88% from the line. In the second half it was 71%, 80% and 88%. Against Duke.

- JB decided to take away Grayson Allen and did: 2 for 11 and 8 points. He also had 1 rebounds, 1 assists with 2 turnovers and 4 fouls. Net Points: 0. That’s also how many trips he had.

- Coach K wanted to take Andrew White out of the game and he mostly did it, although White played a great game on defense. Tyler Lydon was also limited to 6 shot attempts, although he clawed his way to 11 points and 9 rebounds. That’s two major weapons who were mostly silent for us. But Gillon scored 26, Battle 18 and TaureanThompson scored 11 points in 22 minutes. That is this team’s biggest strength: with this starting line =up, we have five guys who can score and you’ve got to guard all of them. If you don’t you can double-team anybody and you can’t trap anybody, (we had only 8 turnovers). They also have plenty of firepower but we could match them and that’s what made it a great game.

- And what a great game it was. Once Battle tied it up, it went like this in the last 13 minutes:
49-47; 49-49; 49-52; 51-52; 51-54; 54-54, 54-56; 56-56; 58-56; 58-59; 60-59; 61-59; 61-61; 61-64; 63-64; 63-66; 65-66; 65-68; 67-68; 69-68; 69-70; 71-70; 71-73, 73-73; 73-75; 75-75; 78-75 That’s 7 ties, 8 Duke leads and 6 Syracuse leads, including the last one. It was even better than the 2014 Duke game. In fact, the only Syracuse game sin history that would out-rank it are all post season games: the 3OT BET final vs. Villanova in ’81, the National title win over Kansas and, of course, the 6 OT game vs. UCONN in the BET.

- This was the only time in the history of college basketball that two coaches who had won 1,000 games have faced each other. Herb McGee of Philadelphia University, Danny Miles of Oregon Tech and Harry Stratham have all won 1,000 at the small college level but never played each other after they both had 1,000 wins. Pat Summit of Tennessee and Tara VanDerveer of Stanford have done it in women’s basketball, (Geno Auriemma has 981), but Tara just won #1,000 and Pat, unfortunately, is no longer there to compete with her. And our guy won. Jim Boeheim is now 4-3 against his coaching buddy, 3-2 since we entered the ACC.

17-12 (9-7) with 2+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- Tyus Battle seems to be over the flu and he’s making the other teams sick again. He scored 8 of 10 points as we went from down 37-42 to tied at 47 and wound up with 18 points.

Cute!

I haven't re-watched the first half yet but in the first half, I thought Duke was toying with us. It seemed to me they could get anything they wanted against us but were holding back, for some inexplicable reason. Then when I watched the second half last night, I heard Vitale commenting that they should have put us away in the first half. What happened? Why didn't they?

I had a lovely very young Duke fan sitting to my left (had moved up to Watertown from Durham) and we talked a fair amount during time outs. Her bf was a Syracuse fan. There were also two Duke fans - men - sitting to my daughter's right and they were completely into their team but were never obnoxious. When Gillon hit the three, her bf hustled her out of there and I never got a chance to say good-bye. But the two Duke fans to our right stayed and watched the festivities and seemed to be enjoying it, actually. I told them I had lived in Durham for 12 years, etc., and one of them shook my hand and said, "Great game! Congratulations."

Most of my Duke friends immediately texted me congrats. My Carolina friends were particularly effusive in their praise. :rolleyes:

As JB said in the presser, Battle's attack in the second half is what keyed that win.

Cute!

I haven't re-watched the first half yet but in the first half, I thought Duke was toying with us. It seemed to me they could get anything they wanted against us but were holding back, for some inexplicable reason. Then when I watched the second half last night, I heard Vitale commenting that they should have put us away in the first half. What happened? Why didn't they?

I had a lovely very young Duke fan sitting to my left (had moved up to Watertown from Durham) and we talked a fair amount during time outs. Her bf was a Syracuse fan. There were also two Duke fans - men - sitting to my daughter's right and they were completely into their team but were never obnoxious. When Gillon hit the three, her bf hustled her out of there and I never got a chance to say good-bye. But the two Duke fans to our right stayed and watched the festivities and seemed to be enjoying it, actually. I told them I had lived in Durham for 12 years, etc., and one of them shook my hand and said, "Great game! Congratulations."

Most of my Duke friends immediately texted me congrats. My Carolina friends were particularly effusive in their praise. :rolleyes:

She has my sympathies. :oops:

Cute!

My sister is a Duke fan and watched the game live as well. She texted me after saying the place was nuts but fun. She says she's bad luck for her squad. Lost both times she's gotten to see them at the Dome.

-... Jim Boeheim is now 4-3 against his coaching buddy, 3-2 since we entered the ACC.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

3-3, yeah?

Split in 2014 (though it looked like we earned a sweep from my vantage point, Boeheim's too).
Swept in 2015.
Won one last year.
Won one this year.

3-3, yeah?

Split in 2014 (though it looked like we earned a sweep from my vantage point, Boeheim's too).
Swept in 2015.
Won one last year.
Won one this year.

My whiff. I though they had played twice only that first season and when i saw one loss to Duke in 2014-15, i didn't look for a second one. 4-4 vs. Coach K all time is pretty good. ;)

My whiff. I though they had played twice only that first season and when i saw one loss to Duke in 2014-15, i didn't look for a second one. 4-4 vs. Coach K all time is pretty good. ;)

Evening it up (since we joined the league) last night was huge in my book. I guess I really miss the days of having a real rival. Maybe losing competitive games to some kind of mediocre Syracuse teams will catch Duke's attention...and then maybe soon we'll have one of our traditional dominant teams and really start to put it to them.

Edit - the 2015 losses were so forgettable, understandable that the Durham game would get missed. I only remember it for poor Kaleb Joseph tripping over his feet on two different fast breaks and for the game being totally uncompetitive in the second half.

5-5 all time vs. Duke is pretty good, too. I wonder how many teams have played Duke 10 times and don't have a losing record.

Naturally I had to look that up. I looked at Duke's Media Guide and they are behind North Carolina 108-134 and Kentucky 9-12, They are also 5-5 with, of all teams, New York University, whom they last played in 1961 and who gave up the sport a decade later.

Last edited:
Cipolla's shot to tie UGA was the greatest shot in SU history IMHO

I didn't notice anything White did in particular on defense that stood out. Then again he is usually the quietest man on the court, even when he drops 25+

I didn't notice anything White did in particular on defense that stood out. Then again he is usually the quietest man on the court, even when he drops 25+

I had a good view of his work in the first half. Several times he cut across the paint to intercept or tip passes. He also had a big hand in holing them to 10 treys in 33 attempts. if they'd hit their normal percentage they would have had 14 and won by 9.

- That one shot got us our 47th straight winning season, (we can’t wind up worse than 17-16), and, according to Joe Lunardi anyway, will put us in the NCAA tournament. It wasn’t as far out as the Pearl’s shot but it was with a guy in Gillon’s face. It might just be the greatest shot in Su history. And – maybe the best part- It was a Lamizana shot!

- It was the 8th straight game where we were down by double digits – and we’ve won 5 of them! But this one was different because the double digit deficit was in the first half and we never had to abandon our half-court game to make the comeback. Instead we played the best defense we have all year- holding Duke to 39% shooting, including 23 misses in 33 three point attempts.

- Coach said that we are undefeated when John Gillon plays well. I’m not sure of that but I know we are undefeated when he plays great. His numbers may not have bene as gaudy as in the NC State but they were pretty gaudy: 26 points on 9 for 14 from the field, 3 for 4 from the three point arc and 5 for 5 from the foul line with 6 assists and 0 turnovers. I think it could be said that when he does that, we are unlikely to lose – regardless of who we are playing. He scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half on 7 for 9 shooting.

- John missed his second free throw with 2:07 left in the Florida State game. We was 8 for 8 down the stretch of that game, 14 for 14 vs. NC State, didn’t get to the line against Virginia, went 7 for 7 vs. Clemson, 5 for 5 vs. Pitt, 2 for 2 against Louisville, and Georgia Tech and 5 for 5 in this game. That’s 43 made free throws in a row. He’s now shooting 86.5% from the line for the eyar. But then Andrew White is 82.4% and Tyler Lydon is 81.7%. They were both 4 for 4 today as we made 22 of 25 free throws, 88%- a higher percentage than Gillon has for the year!. 18 for 25 is 72%, which isn’t bad- except it would have lost us the game.

- We shot 553% from two point range, 55% from three point range and 88% from the line. In the second half it was 71%, 80% and 88%. Against Duke.

- JB decided to take away Grayson Allen and did: 2 for 11 and 8 points. He also had 1 rebounds, 1 assists with 2 turnovers and 4 fouls. Net Points: 0. That’s also how many trips he had.

- Coach K wanted to take Andrew White out of the game and he mostly did it, although White played a great game on defense. Tyler Lydon was also limited to 6 shot attempts, although he clawed his way to 11 points and 9 rebounds. That’s two major weapons who were mostly silent for us. But Gillon scored 26, Battle 18 and TaureanThompson scored 11 points in 22 minutes. That is this team’s biggest strength: with this starting line =up, we have five guys who can score and you’ve got to guard all of them. If you don’t you can double-team anybody and you can’t trap anybody, (we had only 8 turnovers). They also have plenty of firepower but we could match them and that’s what made it a great game.

- And what a great game it was. Once Battle tied it up, it went like this in the last 13 minutes:
49-47; 49-49; 49-52; 51-52; 51-54; 54-54, 54-56; 56-56; 58-56; 58-59; 60-59; 61-59; 61-61; 61-64; 63-64; 63-66; 65-66; 65-68; 67-68; 69-68; 69-70; 71-70; 71-73, 73-73; 73-75; 75-75; 78-75 That’s 7 ties, 8 Duke leads and 6 Syracuse leads, including the last one. It was even better than the 2014 Duke game. In fact, the only Syracuse game sin history that would out-rank it are all post season games: the 3OT BET final vs. Villanova in ’81, the National title win over Kansas and, of course, the 6 OT game vs. UCONN in the BET.

- This was the only time in the history of college basketball that two coaches who had won 1,000 games have faced each other. Herb McGee of Philadelphia University, Danny Miles of Oregon Tech and Harry Stratham have all won 1,000 at the small college level but never played each other after they both had 1,000 wins. Pat Summit of Tennessee and Tara VanDerveer of Stanford have done it in women’s basketball, (Geno Auriemma has 981), but Tara just won #1,000 and Pat, unfortunately, is no longer there to compete with her. And our guy won. Jim Boeheim is now 4-3 against his coaching buddy, 3-2 since we entered the ACC.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

We shot 53% from two point range. Hey, it was late and I was still pretty excited!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom