The Upside - Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I was proud of the team for the intensity they showed in the first half, when they lead almost all the way, including a 21-14 lead with 9:11 left in the half, (yes the Blue Devils scored 83 points in the last 29:11, which made 14 points in the first 10:49 all the more remarkable), and the gut they should in the second half when, down 56-71 and apparently on their way to a 20-25 point defeat, they rallied to get within 7 at 72-79 and lost by only 9.

- When you score 88 points, a lot of players are going to have good numbers in the Syracuse box score, which fails to reflect the 97 points in the Duke box score. To pull off an upset, your star player has to have a good game and our star player, Elijah Hughes, scored 21 points, had 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks, (One a resounding block against Carey), and 1 assists. The problem was that he scored 8 of our first 13 points and then the two free throws that made it 21-14 at the 9:11 mark, then scored 2 points in the next 27:11, during which we were out-scored 55-72, then scored 9 points in the last 1:50.

- Marek Dolezaj was actually our best player, as often has been in recent games, (this will be the 8 time in the last 15 games that he’s led in net points: Elijah has led 5 times over that stretch). He scored 22, using a terrific first step to get by the brawnier Duke players. He also had 6 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal. I wish he would shoot the 12 footer from the top of the key more often. He can make that shot. On one play today no one was guarding him there and the thought about it but elected to drive into the defense to try to score. That makes his job even harder than it already is.

- Joe Girard continued emerging from his recent slump to score 17 points, dish 7 assists and have only 1 turnover with the best defensive guard in America in his face every possession. He also had 4 steals. He really is having an amazing freshman year and had annihilated any doubt that he could play at this level. Of those 6 guys who have scored 50 points a game in a high school season, he’s easily the best and we’ve got him.
Top 10 single-season high school basketball scoring averages, including Bjorn Broman's 7th-place finish

- Buddy Boeheim at least hit double figures with 13 points with a couple fo big threes , 2 rebounds and 2 assists.

- Bourama Sidibe managed 8 points and 7 rebounds in 22 minutes and Quincy Guerrier 7 points and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes. Too bad they foul too much to stay in games longer than that.

- We were out-rebounded by 6 but were +9 in turnovers because we forced 19 of them, (not that we are any good at the press). Add them together and that’s +3 in what I called “manufactured possessions.

- Duke is easily the best team we’ve played this year and Vernon Carey easily the best big man, of the many we’ve made into stars this year). Matt Park and Jim Satalin were laughing about what Carey would do to the others, even that Iowa dude. But even in those previous defeats, then the other team took the lead, we fell farther behind and never really made a comeback. In this game we rallied and made things interesting and lost by single digits to one of the country’s top teams. We are a bit better, anyway.

- I’m glad the team has a week off now. Not only are they pretty beat up after 6 tough games in 18 days, (and this was, physically easily the toughest). But there has been a tendency since we joining the ACC, to give such a spirited performance against Duke that we tend to have an inevitable let down after that. A week off and then home games against Wake Forest and NC State are just what the doctor ordered.

A lot of people say this team is fun to watch now, and it’s true. The losses aren’t god awful. The team is likable. Boeheim is saying that we ARE getting better, as opposed to we NEED to get better. I just hope some of the recruits who were at the game last night decide to come here, because it’s hard to remain “better” with only 7 guys who can play. Duke’s foul troubles last night didn’t even phase them. They just reloaded.

P.S. Read some posts on Duke’s message board and they were glad to get out of there alive! Respect for the Orange and respect for the Dome.

I beg to differ -
I think the press was actually fairly effective.

Yes - they beat it easily a few times, but we did force several turnovers out of it, and very nearly a few more.

We were down as many as 15, and were able to chip away to as close as 6 at one point.

None of that likely happens if we didn’t press.

I beg to differ -

Yes - they beat it easily a few times, but we did force several turnovers out of it, and very nearly a few more.

We were down as many as 15, and were able to chip away to as close as 6 at one point.

I was referencing JB's likely reaction to any praise of our press.

A lot of people say this team is fun to watch now, and it’s true. The losses aren’t god awful. The team is likable. Boeheim is saying that we ARE getting better, as opposed to we NEED to get better. I just hope some of the recruits who were at the game last night decide to come here, because it’s hard to remain “better” with only 7 guys who can play. Duke’s foul troubles last night didn’t even phase them. They just reloaded.

If they are going to lose I'd prefer a higher scoring affair than the 60 something to 50 something rock fights.

I beg to differ -

Sidibe has to hammer guys and not allow a three point play. You noticed we had guys on the floor when we drove to the basket.

If Joe G and Buddy make their free throws (each missed 2) we would have been in it right to the last seconds with a chance. Hughes is such a dynamic player yet he has a tendency to disappear for long stretches. That can't happen for this team to win against good teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom