The Upside- Eastern Michigan | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Eastern Michigan

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Well we finished the non-conference schedule with 11 wins and 2 losses, a substantial improvement from last year’s weak 8-5 record. I don’t’ think we had any bad losses, (assuming the Bonnie do well in the A10, as I think they will). We didn’t guarantee anything but we didn’t dig a hole for ourselves, either.

- The fever finally broke for our big gun, Tyus Battle. He erupted for 10 straight of his team’s points midway through the second half and alter hit a lay-up and a three that pushed our lead to 15 points and made it clear who was going to win. When he’s on we are a different team and he’s back on.

- But the player of the game was clearly 7-2 Paschal Chukwu, the guy many fans felt couldn’t contribute much before the season really started. In this game, playing a good 6-10 center, James Thompson IV, who came in averaging 18 points and 12 rebounds a game, PC had his finest game so far, scoring 15 points, pulling down 11 rebounds, blocking five shots, (and altering at least that many more), and making two steals. He was 9 for 11 from the foul line, suddenly a plus instead of the huge minus it seemed to be at the beginning of the year. And he played 37 minutes while committing only 3 fouls, an indication that he’s learned how to play his positon in JB’s zone. It was Thompson who got into foul trouble. He wound up with 12 points, 9 rebounds1 block and 1 steal. Advantage SU – against their best player.

- Frank Howard had perhaps his finest game as well. He only scored 11 points but had a couple of big threes and dished out 7 assists compared to 2 turnovers and made 4 steals. Everything he did was very timely.

- Oshae Brissett struggled with his shooting, missing 6 of his 9 shots on his drives to the basket and he was 0 for 2 outside. But he had his 7th double-double of the season and 4th in six games with 11 points and 12 rebounds. He will always be a ‘presence’ in the box score.

- Our offense picked up when Marek Dolezaj was in the high post. He had only 2 assists but kept the ball moving with good passes. Against a zone he’s a good tool to unlock it. Just passing the ball around the outside and lobbing up threes as we did in the first half doesn’t cut it. We also make more threes in the ball goes inside and then back out because the shooter is already squared to the basket. (1st half: 2 for 12; second half: 4 for 8).

11-2 with 18+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
I seem to recall that we’ve had several games where we get halfway inside and then make a jumper. We’re not doing that any more. Is that because our opponents are playing better (zone) defense against us?

I seem to recall that we’ve had several games where we get halfway inside and then make a jumper. We’re not doing that any more. Is that because our opponents are playing better (zone) defense against us?

I'm doing a project summarizing the pre-conference season. Here are my accumulated game by game stats regarding the "Twilight Zone" between the paint and the three point line, (games where we won this stat are in bold, ties in italics):

TWILIGHT ZONE (POP minus points from treys)
Cornell 10 vs. 2
Iona 10 vs. 0
Texas Southern 2 vs. 0
Oakland 16 vs. 4
Toledo 20 vs. 4
Maryland 8 vs. 4

Kansas 4 vs. 4
Connecticut 8 vs. 2
Colgate 8 vs. 4

Georgetown 4 vs. 12
Buffalo 8 vs. 6
St. Bonaventure 2 vs. 4
Eastern Michigan 4 vs. 6

We have led in this stat 9 times, with 1 even.

Season:
In Wins: 98 vs. 44
In Losses: 6 vs. 8
Total: 104 vs. 52

We were making a lot more medium range shots early in the season than we are now.

I'm doing a project summarizing the pre-conference season. Here are my accumulated game by game stats regarding the "Twilight Zone" between the paint and the three point line, (games where we won this stat are in bold, ties in italics):

Cornell 10 vs. 2
Iona 10 vs. 0
Texas Southern 2 vs. 0
Oakland 16 vs. 4
Toledo 20 vs. 4
Maryland 8 vs. 4

Kansas 4 vs. 4
Connecticut 8 vs. 2
Colgate 8 vs. 4

Georgetown 4 vs. 12
Buffalo 8 vs. 6
St. Bonaventure 2 vs. 4
Eastern Michigan 4 vs. 6

Season:

We were making a lot more medium range shots early in the season than we are now.

In particular, Battle seemed to be making more medium range shots. He seemed to be a little too reliant on 3's last night at times.

Cornell 10 vs. 2
Iona 10 vs. 0
Texas Southern 2 vs. 0
Oakland 16 vs. 4
Toledo 20 vs. 4
Maryland 8 vs. 4

Kansas 4 vs. 4
Connecticut 8 vs. 2
Colgate 8 vs. 4

Georgetown 4 vs. 12
Buffalo 8 vs. 6
St. Bonaventure 2 vs. 4
Eastern Michigan 4 vs. 6

Season:

Ah HA! I did not imagine this. Very reassuring in my dotage. Thanks, SWC!

Mmmmmm. Man. Um... well... a few years ago, maybe three but no more than five or twenty. Up!

Actually, if you know when it started, you aren't in it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom