The Upside- Eastern Washington | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Eastern Washington

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We were lousy on offense and still won 66-34 because our defense strangled the over-matched opponent. EW, (Eewww…) missed 46 of 49 shots and had 19 turnovers. Nobody reached double-figures. We tried great offense and bad defense two years ago and didn’t like it. Last year it was great defense and mediocre, often bad offense last year and it was tough to watch at times but the results were better. Hopefully this year we will combine the two and really have some fun.

- Oshae Brissett just carried the team with 20 points on 8 for 14 shooting, 8 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 assists. For much of the game he had out-scored EW.

- Marek Dolezaj only played 18 minutes but had 7 points, 3 rebounds a block and steal. The impressive thing is that he hit all three shots he took and one was a three pointer and another close to it. He was also key man on the press that finally broke the game open. His +/- rating must be pretty high. He always seems to making a difference.

- Jalen Carey didn’t complete plays as well as he will be doing but he showed a quickness and athleticism that makes him a very exciting player. He had 7p 6r 1A 1s in 18 minutes.

- Paschal Chukwu dominated in his 17 minutes with 6 points and 6 rebounds. He made both of his shots including a nice move on one. Somehow he was only credited with 1 block but he altered many shots.

- Bourama Sidibe played when the game was already decided but did well with 8 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks and an assist in 14 minutes.

- Many complained the game was dull but dull can be good. You don’t want an exciting game against Eastern Washington.

1-0 and with 30+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Dull is good. Good defense and experienced guards is a really good formula. That's why prognosticators are very high on this team. Bring on the dull.

Dull is good. Good defense and experienced guards is a really good formula. That's why prognosticators are very high on this team. Bring on the dull.

Well, I'd be more for something somewhere between watching old folks crossing an icy street, and tinsel & sham, glitter & smoke bombs. :)

Well, I'd be more for something somewhere between watching old folks crossing an icy street, and tinsel & sham, glitter & smoke bombs. :)

I'd watch that.

There's a lot of upside to this game, I'm surprised by the negative reactions in some other threads.

Boeheim's new 2-2-1 press looks good, though I don't know if Sidibe and Chukwu are best suited to play it.

Defense was terrific. This team hustles and hits the floor. We see that about twice a decade, so this is a special bunch.

Boeheim demanded that the guards feed the post! Again: the guards were actively feeding the post! 10 points a game out of that would be a fantastic bonus. Sidibe and Dolezaj also had a sweet high-low going on for a couple possessions, too. More, please.

The refs called touch fouls on both teams. That's a huge benefit to SU (and especially Brissett). Now we won't see that every game, but it made for some fun watching last night, even if things dragged when we went into the bonus with 14:00 to play.

Jalen Carey. He's good. Might only play 10 minutes a game when Frank comes back, but the kid plays hard and is fun to watch. Haven't had a point guard with his skill set since Scoop.

Speaking of that, if Carey continues to play strong defense, maybe he'll eat into Buddy's minutes and not the other way around? There's obviously an athleticism advantage there.

One more observation not related to upside: 19,000+ announced attendance. LOL. Let's put to rest any claims about SUAD announcing turnstile count rather than tickets distributed. I know they claim that, but they're not being truthful.

Marek is our best 3 point shooter.

There's a lot of upside to this game, I'm surprised by the negative reactions in some other threads.

Boeheim's new 2-2-1 press looks good, though I don't know if Sidibe and Chukwu are best suited to play it.

Defense was terrific. This team hustles and hits the floor. We see that about twice a decade, so this is a special bunch.

Boeheim demanded that the guards feed the post! Again: the guards were actively feeding the post! 10 points a game out of that would be a fantastic bonus. Sidibe and Dolezaj also had a sweet high-low going on for a couple possessions, too. More, please.

The refs called touch fouls on both teams. That's a huge benefit to SU (and especially Brissett). Now we won't see that every game, but it made for some fun watching last night, even if things dragged when we went into the bonus with 14:00 to play.

Jalen Carey. He's good. Might only play 10 minutes a game when Frank comes back, but the kid plays hard and is fun to watch. Haven't had a point guard with his skill set since Scoop.

Speaking of that, if Carey continues to play strong defense, maybe he'll eat into Buddy's minutes and not the other way around? There's obviously an athleticism advantage there.

One more observation not related to upside: 19,000+ announced attendance. LOL. Let's put to rest any claims about SUAD announcing turnstile count rather than tickets distributed. I know they claim that, but they're not being truthful.

Carey reminds me more of a 6-3 Jonny Flynn than Scoop, who played on a two-dimensional plane.

Carey reminds me more of a 6-3 Jonny Flynn than Scoop, who played on a two-dimensional plane.

I agree, I'm just saying it's the first time SU's had a well-rounded scoring point guard since Scoop. I guess maybe John Gillon's an exception, but his size limited what he could do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom