The Upside- Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This was an old-fashioned “basketball like it oughta be” win. It was a 90 foot game against a ranked team, full of spectacular plays and we won a big one. It was the best home win since Duke’14. We used to get a lot of them like this.

- Because we haven’t been in close games, we haven’t been able to use one of our best assets: John Gillon’s foul shooting. He’s our best “closer since GMAC and even Gerry never put on a show like this one. John, in the last three minutes, was 11 for 12 from the line and added a lay-up for 13 points , our last 13 points of the game. We went from 69-67 to the 82-72 final. If we can just get a lead in these games, John can shorten the game for us.

- He also did a good job overall of running the offense, scoring 11 assists to go with 21 points and he had only two turnovers.

- But our best player was Andrew White, who led the team with 24 points and pulled down 9 rebounds – 8 of them on the defensive boards. And he stole the ball 4 times. I didn’t realize he had such quick hands. He looked like Trevor Cooney out there. Gillon turned 69-67 into 82-72 but we were up 69-67 on the #6 team in the country more due to White than anybody else.

- Tyler Lydon had a quiet game offensive, (only 8 shot attempts), except when he threw down that follow shot. But he did the hard work inside to get us the lead and help us keep it. He had 11 rebounds, 7 defensive and 4 offensive. He also blocked 6 shots and just hung in there, playing hard the whole way. We were the smaller team but we got 9 blocks to their four and added 11 steals to their 6. That’s playing defense!

- Tyus Battle didn’t have a great offensive game, (3 for 10) but he got the highlight of the day when he rescued Lydon’s too-long outlet pass and scooped it to White for the “monster” three, (Matt Park’s words) , that put is up 69-62 with 5:19 left.

- We out-rebounded the “biggest team in America" 42-39.

- We still have to “do it on the road”. I think this team is as sick of our lousy road performances as we are and will take the court on Wednesday determined to show the world they can win on the road.

- Let’s see here. We get 20 points for playing the #6 team in the country and we beat them by 10 so we now have 30 points “against ranked teams”. That gives us 30 for the season. Now let’s get some more!

13-9 (5-4) with 10+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
After Fla St made the first basket - we never trailed for the remaining 38 minutes and 42 seconds of the game.

After Fla St made the first basket - we never trailed for the remaining 38 minutes and 42 seconds of the game.

It was fitting (satisfying? relieving?) that during their comeback, when they got the ball down 2 they had their worst possession of the game.

We fell behind very briefly at 14 to 13.

Gillon had a real quiet good game today. Even before that last 3 minutes, he was pretty solid. 11 dimes and should've had more. Battle and TT had balls go right through their hands cutting to the basket on what I thought were decent scoring chances.

I can't believe I'm also gonna add that other than a couple bonehead plays, Frank wasn't horrible either! Had the coast to coast with some real nice ball handling and the easy dump off to Robey. Plays like that really frustrate me, because his skill is in there, he must just be a massive head case!

This team will get contributions from Lydon and White, and a bit from Battle, but no matter how well they play, this whole season will come down to Gillon, Howard, and Robey!

I found myself hoping FSU would foul us and send us to the line. That's a rare thought for a long-term Orange fan.

Unless they fouled Roberson. That was like watching vintage Stevie Thompson or Herm Harried foul shots. The people in the first few rows have to stay alert.

- This was an old-fashioned “basketball like it oughta be” win. It was a 90 foot game against a ranked team, full of spectacular plays and we won a big one. It was the best home win since Duke’14. We used to get a lot of them like this.

- Because we haven’t bene in close games, we haven’t been able to use one of our best assets: John Gillon’s foul shooting. He’s our best “closer since GMAC and even Gerry never put on a show like this one. John, in the last three minutes, was 11 for 12 from the line and added a lay-up for 13 points , our last 13 points of the game. We went from 69-67 to the 82-72 final. If we can just get a lead in these games, John can shorten the game for us.

- He also did a good job overall of running the offense, scoring 11 assists to go with 21 points and he had only two turnovers.

- But our best player was Andrew White, who led the team with 24 points and pulled down 9 rebounds – 8 of them on the defensive boards. And he stole the ball 4 times. I didn’t realize he had such quick hands. He looked like Trevor Cooney out there. Gillon turned 69-67 into 82-72 but we were up 69-67 on the #6 team in the country more due to White than anybody else.

- Tyler Lydon had a quiet game offensive, (only 8 shot attempts), except when he threw down that follow shot. But he did the hard work inside to get us the lead and help us keep it. He had 11 rebounds, 7 defensive and 4 offensive. He also blocked 6 shots and just hung in there, playing hard the whole way. We were the smaller team but we got 9 blocks to their four and added 11 steals to their 6. That’s playing defense!

- Tyus Battle didn’t have a great offensive game, (3 for 10) but he got the highlight of the day when he rescued Lydon’s too-long outlet pass and scooped it to White for the “monster” three, (Matt Park’s words) , that put is up 69-62 with 5:19 left.

- We out-rebounded the “biggest team in American 42-39.

- We still have to “do it on the road”. I think this team is as sick of our lousy road performances as we are and will take the court on Wednesday determined to show the world they can win on the road.

- Let’s see here. We get 20 points for playing the #6 team in the country and we beat them by 10 so we now have 30 points “against ranked teams”. That gives us 30 for the season. Now let’s get some more!

13-9 (5-4) with 10+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

EPIC write up as always, thank you!

For my own reasons, I enjoyed when you said Gillon was our CLOSER. Not only did I think of baseball pitchers, but I thought of Glengarry Glen Ross before that! Ive posted that epic speech so many times Im guessing everyone that wants to has seen it, so I wont again here, but yes, we need closers!

Unless they fouled Roberson. That was like watching vintage Stevie Thompson or Herm Harried foul shots. The people in the first few rows have to stay alert.

Come on, two of my favorite OrangeMEN get mentioned, and it's for their free throws? uggggh The Helicopter! What player has had a better nickname since?

Couldn't believe that Hamilton didn't foul Roberson each time down till JB replaced him - glad he didn't but shocked too.

Come on, two of my favorite OrangeMEN get mentioned, and it's for their free throws? uggggh The Helicopter! What player has had a better nickname since?

Loved both of them on the court. Stevie especially, he made games so exciting.

But their free throws were, um, an adventure.

Couldn't believe that Hamilton didn't foul Roberson each time down till JB replaced him - glad he didn't but shocked too.

Roberson is an interesting player. He gives so much effort, can be such a great rebounder and defender.

But yeah, on offense, if the ball goes to him only two things should happen if you're the opponent. He doesn't catch the pass, which happens too often, or you have to foul him going up. Especially if you're a 13 deep FSU.

One of the best parts of today was that he was able to finish as often as he did.

Loved both of them on the court. Stevie especially, he made games so exciting.

But their free throws were, um, an adventure.

Ha, that was a great word to describe their free throws. Also, I think you could say they were works of art, different ways to miss. However, I think Paul Harris making a free throw he was supposed to miss, and Boeheim's reaction, may have eclipsed them for the worst singke free throw(other than maybe DC at the end of the title bout on the front end of a 1 and 1 before Smart). Paul Harris, gotta love the antics?

Roberson is an interesting player. He gives so much effort, can be such a great rebounder and defender.

But yeah, on offense, if the ball goes to him only two things should happen if you're the opponent. He doesn't catch the pass, which happens too often, or you have to foul him going up. Especially if you're a 13 deep FSU.

One of the best parts of today was that he was able to finish as often as he did.

Agree with that! Especially on the finishes. I root extra hard for the underdogs...he's maybe a step above DC2 for me right now in rooting extra hard. Overall great finishes a the basket today. Much better than usual.

Herman at the foul line:

Wow, i replayed that a few times...what exactly did he hit?

I think it was the wire attached to the helicopter. I don't think he was supposed to get that low- maybe a prior malfunction?

The photographer knows ahead of time that something bad is happening and he exits the area before the final breakdown.

- This was an old-fashioned “basketball like it oughta be” win.
- We out-rebounded the “biggest team in America" 42-39.
LET’S GO ORANGE!

It was a good win but FSU looked sluggish. It would be a lot tougher to beat them on their home court. It certainly helps our RPI and our boy's confidence. I'd like them to have this kind of win with a top 20 opponent and on an away game.

Gillon had a real quiet good game today. Even before that last 3 minutes, he was pretty solid. 11 dimes and should've had more. Battle and TT had balls go right through their hands cutting to the basket on what I thought were decent scoring chances.

I can't believe I'm also gonna add that other than a couple bonehead plays, Frank wasn't horrible either! Had the coast to coast with some real nice ball handling and the easy dump off to Robey. Plays like that really frustrate me, because his skill is in there, he must just be a massive head case!

This team will get contributions from Lydon and White, and a bit from Battle, but no matter how well they play, this whole season will come down to Gillon, Howard, and Robey!

Thought the same about Frank. Not good but not atrocious.

Herman at the foul line:

Wow, i replayed that a few times...what exactly did he hit?

Play the clip in full screen mode and watch from about 1:40 [ Helicopter Crashes - Original HD footage ] note the guy holding the cable off to the lower-left of the screen. The idiot pulls the sagging cable attached to the helicopter too taught causing it to strike the rotor. Must be a UCONN or Georgetown graduate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom