The Upside - Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Georgetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The game was slipping away at 57-63. We’d been out-scored 13-29 in the second half. But we rallied to re-rake the lead four times after that.

- Cole Swider missed a big three at the end, (he many have bene too anxious to shoot it- there was a guy in his face. But it’s interesting when his other three treys came: at 14:18 of the first after Georgetown had scored 9 points in a row to take a 7-11 lead; at 17:26 of the second half after the Hoyas had scored the first 6 points of the second half to close to 44-40 and at 7:15 of the second to cut a 60-64 deficit to one. They were big threes. We needed one more. Cole Also had 7 rebounds and 6 assists.

- Joe Girard had the 1 for 7 second half and the big free throw miss. But he also scored 15 points, dished out 7 assists to 1 turnover and had 3 rebounds and 3 steals. Not a bad days’ work for a (supposedly) 6-1 point guard.

- Buddy Boeheim continues to struggle with his shot but unlike the Florida State and Villanova games, he found a way to get to his scoring average with 17 points anyways with 4 twos and 3 threes. If only he could get to the foul line somehow, he hasn’t been there in 3 games!

- Jesse Edwards was 6 for 7 from the field, scored 12 points and had 8 rebounds and blocked a couple shots. His back up, frank Anselem, had his best game, scoring 5 points, including a break-away dunk on a fast break Remember the bad old days when we got nothing from the center position?

- Symir Torrance had 2 points a rebound and 2 assists in 5 minutes and Benny Williams scored on a beautiful turn-around play in traffic. The bench scored 9 points in a combined 19 minutes of play, 9 more than they scored against Villanova.

- The only other Jim Boeheim team to lose half their first 10 games is the team that finished the 2020 season destroying North Carolina, 81-53 in the ACCT just before the Covid shut-down. I still wonder what that team might have accomplished. I still believe that this will turn out to be a good team by the end of the year. But will that happen too late to achieve our goals?

5-5 with 21+ to go.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- The game was slipping away at 57-63. We’d been out-scored 13-29 in the second half. But we rallied to re-rake the lead four times after that.

- Cole Swider missed a big three at the end, (he many have bene too anxious to shoot it- there was a guy in his face. But it’s interesting when his other three treys came: at 14:18 of the first after Georgetown had scored 9 points in a row to take a 7-11 lead; at 17:26 of the second half after the Hoyas had scored the first 6 points of the second half to close to 44-40 and at 7:15 of the second to cut a 60-64 deficit to one. They were big threes. We needed one more. Cole Also had 7 rebounds and 6 assists.

- Joe Girard had the 1 for 7 second half and the big free throw miss. But he also scored 15 points, dished out 7 assists to 1 turnover and had 3 rebounds and 3 steals. Not a bad days’ work for a (supposedly) 6-1 point guard.

- Buddy Boeheim continues to struggle with his shot but unlike the Florida State and Villanova games, he found a way to get to his scoring average with 17 points anyways with 4 twos and 3 threes. If only he could get to the foul line somehow, he hasn’t been there in 3 games!

- Jesse Edwards was 6 for 7 from the field, scored 12 points and had 8 rebounds and blocked a couple shots. His back up, frank Anselem, had his best game, scoring 5 points, including a break-away dunk on a fast break Remember the bad old days when we got nothing from the center position?

- Symir Torrance had 2 points a rebound and 2 assists in 5 minutes and Benny Williams scored on a beautiful turn-around play in traffic. The bench scored 9 points in a combined 19 minutes of play, 9 more than they scored against Villanova.

- The only other Jim Boeheim team to lose half their first 10 games is the team that finished the 2020 season destroying North Carolina, 81-53 in the ACCT just before the Covid shut-down. I still wonder what that team might have accomplished. I still believe that this will turn out to be a good team by the end of the year. But will that happen too late to achieve our goals?

5-5 with 21+ to go.

LET’S GO ORANGE!
That’s about 5 more paragraphs/points than I thought was possible after that game.

That’s about 5 more paragraphs/points than I thought was possible after that game.

1639264743472.png

5-5 with 21+ to go.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. I think this team has the potential to be pretty good if the bench can learn to contribute and provide a spark, and if we can get better on defense. But will we "figure it out" soon enough?

Buddy and Cole will begin hitting 3's when they get back in the Dome.

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. I think this team has the potential to be pretty good if the bench can learn to contribute and provide a spark, and if we can get better on defense. But will we "figure it out" soon enough?

Buddy and Cole will begin hitting 3's when they get back in the Dome.
The bench contributed, provided a spark, and played better defense when given the chance yesterday in the first half.

The only figuring it out that needs to happen is the HC needs to understand that not playing the bench in the second half is what led to the loss. That's probably harsher than I mean, but I think you get my point. We simply can't play 5 (with a spot minute from Frank) in the entire half with our starters, and especially when Buddy can't hit a three to save the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom