The Upside (Georgetown) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside (Georgetown)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- When Georgetown went on an 0-13 run push the lead to 20 points and then SU mounted such a spirted comeback to shave 14 points off that lead, I thought of the Star Trek: Next Generation episode, (“The Arsenal of Freedom”) where Geordi is left in command of the Enterprise while the Captain and his party are trapped on the planet below and a mysterious, evil force attacks the ship. It looks at first like he doesn’t know what to do and the Enterprise isn’t in good hands. But, (after some commercials), he uses poise and innovative strategies, including the first “separation of the disc” to defeat the enemy.
We didn’t defeat the enemy but I feel better about who is in charge.

- Michael Gbinije got off to a slow start but led the charge at the end. Another All-America box score for him: 23 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists. 2 steals and a block.

- DaJuan Coleman scored 10 points in only 21 minutes of play. I would have liked more than the 4 rebounds he got but any sign of improvement is good.

- Tyler Roberson had a comeback game with 15 points and 8 rebounds in only 26 minutes, thanks to foul trouble.

- The “trunk monkey” press was quite effective when we went to it. I’d like to see a lot more of it and not just when we are behind. Since we have no inside scoring, we really need find ways to make it more of a disorganized, full court game where we can exploit the chaos with our athletic players. It would be the basketball equivalent of “separating the disc”. The cat’s away, so let the mice play!

6-2 with 23 to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

You thought of it because you were there!

It just seems that players on teams are more likely to act in (further) detrimental ways when behind than when comfortably ahead. I'm thinking of Roberson's ill-advised 19 footer in the second half, followed by the equally bad foul by him at the other end. Would both have happened with the score reversed? I guess I'm moving more into that "don't let off the gas" camp at this point. In any context. I admit I have no stats to support the idea of front loading attack. But maybe that's Boeheim's fault (nyuk nyuk).

- The “trunk monkey” press was quite effective when we went to it. I’d like to see a lot more of it and not just when we are behind. Since we have no inside scoring, we really need find ways to make it more of a disorganized, full court game where we can exploit the chaos with our athletic players. It would be the basketball equivalent of “separating the disc”. The cat’s away, so let the mice play!

Very hard to employ the press and then drop into an effective zone. The announcers continually talk about one way to beat the zone is to beat it down the court before it can get set up. Pressing effectively allows them to beat you down the court before the zone gets set up if we don't turn them over in the backcourt.

Jeremy McNeil ain't walking through that door.

Jeremy McNeil ain't walking through that door.

McNeil was a player of very limited skill who did very well at the back of the press because he just stood in front of the basket and waited for the fast break to come to him. DC ought to be able to do the same thing.

He must have had good hops and lateral mobility as he was a good shot blocker. DC, not so much, but he is a wide body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom