The Upside- Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
(Sorry this is late. I went outside to do some yardwork and get some fresh air, then had some dinner, then found my internet connection was gone and had to call Spectrum to get that worked out.)

- We got a much- needed win and looked like a pretty good football team.

- The defense came off the ropes after being dominated in the 2nd and 3rd periods to make the big plays that salted the game away, producing five takeovers, most of which seemed to be plays we forced, rather than gifts by a turnover prone Georgia Tech team.

- We showed tremendous depth in the secondary, losing Andre Cisco before the game but still producing those five turnovers with excellent play from the secondary. Who had heard of Rob Hanna before this game and he led the team in tackles? Ja’Had Carter also had a big game. We’ve seen Garrett Williams and Neil Nunn play well.

- Mikel Jones, Geoff Cantin-Arku and Lee Kpogba had big games from the linebacker position. I also saw Steve Linton and Marlow Wax making plays.

- Cody Roscoe was a force of nature at the line, spending much of the game in the Tech backfield.

- Tommy DeVito had a pretty good comeback game, finding Taj Harris and Nykeim Johnson on a couple of well-timed long ones. He might have had a third TD by Johnson preferred to do a bad juggling act in the middle of a successful play.

- Years ago Marvin Graves was competing with Bill Scharr, Mark McDonald, Wendall Lowery and Warren Prisby for the quarterback spot. Marvin won the starting job for our first game against Southern Cal in the Kickoff Classic. We lost that game but Graves looked like the right choice at the most important position on the field. Bud Poliquin wrote “In this world, there are Gladys Knights and there are Pips. Marvin Graves is Gladys Knight and those other fellows are Pips.” That’s how I felt watching Sean Tucker as he used moves, speed, power and even gymnastic ability to run for 112 yards and two touchdowns. I don’t think there’s another back on the roster, even those who opted out, who could do what we saw today behind the line we’ve got. He’s not just the future of the position. He’s the present.

- The play-calling was much improved. We went right away to the tight ends, (although they kind of disappeared again the rest of the game). We passed successfully over the middle. Seven different guys caught passes. We ran wide sometimes. Keep it up, Sterlin! Use everybody and the whole field.

- Nolan Cooney didn’t hit the new scoreboard but he did average 49.2 yards per punt, which I think is more to the coach’s liking.

- Trill Williams closed to ‘old’ Dome with a spectacular play and opened the new one with another. “The New Dome is officially open!”

- Now an off week to get players back, including, hopefully the Davises in the O-line, then Duke team we should beat and a Liberty team we should crush before it gets real again with a trip to Clemson.

1-2 with 8(?) to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom