The Upside - Holy Cross | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Holy Cross

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We won 42-14. We outgained Holy Cross 541-203. We had 32 first downs to the Crusaders’ 8. We out-rushed them 125-9. We out-passed them 416-194. That’s how it was supposed to be and that’s how it was.

- We are now 20-0 vs. FCS teams, (since Division 1AA, as it used to be known, was created in 1978) and we maintained our average score at 45-11. The last 18 of those wins have come in the current period of our mediocrity, (2002 onwards), so we take care of business. We are the bigger fish and we eat the smaller fish. FCS wins vs. FBS teams: All-time victories, upsets, wins vs. ranked teams

- Kyle McCord continued to obliterate the SU passing record book with his fourth straight 300 yards game, (Donovan McNabb had three in his career). 1/3 of the way through the regular season he’s 114/177 (.621) for 1,459 yards 14TDs and 4 interceptions. Over a 12 game season that’s 342/531 for 4,377yds with 42TDs and 12 picks. We’ve never seen this before here.

- While our big gun, Oronde Gadsden is getting double-covered, McCord is taking advent age of that to get the ball to other people. With Zeed Haynes getting his family problems straightened out, fellow Georgia transfer Jackson Meeks is coming up big. He’s inheriting the throws. He had 10 catches, many of them fabulous for 161 yards and a score. Umari Hatcher, Darrell Gill and Trebor Pena also caught TD passes.

- LeQuint Allen put on a show with 81 rushing yards on 16 carries, (5.1) and a score plus 7 catches for 54 yards. A lot of those 32 first downs came with #1 having the ball in his hands.

- Will Nixon got hobbled and Yasim Willis got some PT. He ran 4 times for 27 yards and returned two kick-offs for 51 yards.

- We’re finally getting some kick-returns. Trebor Pena has been reliable in getting possession of the ball on punts. He makes good decisions and good catches. But hasn’t used his considerable running ability until today. He got 36 yards on 3 returns. And walk-on freshman Davien Kerr had a 46 yarder late in the game, giving us a total of 133 kick return yards. We’d had 93 in the first three games.

- Jack Stonehouse averaged 46.5 yards per punt with no returns and dropped on the HC 2 and led to our fourth touchdown. HC’s punter had a booming first one 55 yards and one that bounced into a 51 yarder and yet only averaged 37.5 for the day: the was 33.6 on the 8 other punts, two of which went out of bounds.

- Kudos to our defensive #1, Jayden Bellamy, who had to be helped off the field in the first half but came back to lead the team in tackles with 5 and scoring on a pick 6.

- Holy Cross came in averaging 149 yards rushing a game and 4.3 yards per carry, (on non-sacks). With Tank Wilson back in the line-up, we completely shut their running attack down. HC’s RBs got 19 yards in 18 carries. It made them on-dimensional and allowed us to go after their quarterback with 4 sacks.

- I think all of those came in the second half. One thing I like about this staff is that they make in game adjustments. Things that are working for the other team in the first half stop working in the second half. I start composing my questions for the next coaches show as the game goes along and I often have to come up with something else as I’ve already got my answer.

3-1 with 8+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom