The Upside - Louisiana Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Louisiana Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jim Boeheim doesn’t think we’re a good team but we managed to beat one. Tech was very aggressive in their press and their man-to-man defense. They rebounded better than the numbers show, getting some big ones down the stretch. They forced 17 turnovers. They equaled us in the paint 36-36. And exceeded us in points off turnovers, (24-19), and fast break points (14-10) and blocked shots (8-6). But we beat them and we did it on a beautiful move by our new star, Merry Christmas!

- We grew some new muscles. With Christmas and McCuulough in foul trouble and Gbinije suddenly unavailable, we needed some new heroes and got them. Now if we can put them together with our old heroes, we will be a very different team.

- Tyler Roberson finally became the aggressive inside player we’d heard about. Matt Park said that Mike Hopkins had taken him aside after a practice session and told him if he went after the ball in games as aggressively he could be a great player. I think he listened. The result was 14 points and 17 rebounds. Imagine our rebounding with a front line of McCullough, Christmas and Roberson playing like that!

- Trevor Cooney finally listened to JB and “put the ball on the floor”. He does it better than Kaleb Joseph. (The difference with Joseph is that he actually does that: I think he takes the phrase too literally.) Trevor is physically stronger than Joseph and more experienced and he did a great job of driving to the basket when there was an opening. Naturally, when he started doing something else well, he got better at what we expect him to do, hitting 4 of 8 three pointers. But 10 of his shots were inside the arc and he took 5 more form the foul line, scoring 25 pints. We need a lot more of that.

- That game was fun, the way basketball used to be. It was played over the full court with athletes being allowed to show their full abilities. Defense was aggressive but clean. It was about going after the ball, not the player. Boeheim doesn’t like the press but it makes for a more entertaining product.

- It was a win we badly needed to get and we got it.

6-3 with 24+ to be

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

" Trevor Cooney finally listened to JB and “put the ball on the floor”. He does it better than Kaleb Joseph. (The difference with Joseph is that he actually does that: I think he takes the phrase too literally.) "

Another great line.

" Trevor Cooney finally listened to JB and “put the ball on the floor”. He does it better than Kaleb Joseph. (The difference with Joseph is that he actually does that: I think he takes the phrase too literally.) "

Another great line.
Ha ha ha! AccuRater, you beat me to it. I copied that line, too. Well done, SWC!

I didn't think this game was particularly fun to watch, although it was entertaining at times. So many bumbled passes, and occasionally we were able to keep possession, but only after 4 or 5 players passed and lost the ball to each other. At the end of the first half, when McC blew the easy dunk, the 3 year old girl behind us cried (in her teeny little voice): "Why?" She may have been asking her mother why she couldn't have more soda, but the timing was quite good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom