The Upside- Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We said when Dino Babers replaced Scott Shafer that at least we were trading 7-28 losses for 28-49 losses and there should be more excitement. Well, get used to this. At Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, Babers lost games by scores like 21-52, 37-51, 30-46, 10-58, 31-59, 17-68, 17-51, 30-59 and 27-58. There were some “shoot-outs”, too, 30-48, 39-43, 39-49, etc. This is what a Babers loss looks like, so get used to it. And, yes, I’ll take the trade. This is more entertaining and it’s more likely to bring in talented recruits than those 7-28 games.

- I can be a good thing to lose you illusions. Just changing the coaching staff and style of play isn’t going to turn a team that went 7-17 the last two years into an ACC contender overnight. We are going to have teams that can compete with the teams like Louisville. We just don’t’ have them yet. It’s going to take 2-3 recruiting classes to get there. In the mean time we need to keep putting on a show so the players we need will want to come here.

- There were three games: 0-21, then 28-21, then 0-20. I liked the 28-21 part.

- We had 414 yards, 24 first downs and 28 points against a defense that has several guys who will playing on Sunday. We also got off 93 plays, (to 81). And Louisville did seem to be confused as to how to defend us at time, at least until one of their players got a “cramp” to give them a chance to settle things down. Each one of those cramps was an indication they thought they were in trouble trying to defend us. That means a lot of teams will be in trouble trying to defend us.

- You gotta love Eric Dungey. Jackson jumps a guy to get into the end zone, something Eric got a lot of attention doing against Virginia last year. So Eric does the same thing on the other end. Unfortunately it symbolized the game that Lamar came down on his feet and waltzed into the end zone while Eric almost landed on his head. Later, when a Louisville defender got one of their cramps, Eric ran over and demanded the guy get up.

- You can take the passing and receiving records section of the Media Guide and remove it because it isn’t relevant any more. Our current passing records are all by Ryan Nassib in 2012: 294 for 471 for 3,749 yards and 26TDs. Dungey is on pace for 354 of 546 for 3,660 yards and 30TDs. And he’s going to get better through the season and through his career. He was one guy who was the equivalent of anyone Louisville ahd and the season he is having will enable Babers to recruit more guys like him.

- Alec Lemon holds the record for receptions with 72. Marvin Harrison holds the record for receiving yards with 1,131. Tommy Kane holds the record for TD catches with 14. Amba Etta-Tawo is on pace for 120 catches for 1,878 yards and 18TDs. The amazing thing is that in three years at Maryland, he totaled 61 catches for 938 yards and 3 scores. Who knew?

- Sterling Hofrichter had to punt 11 times in this game and averaged 44.5 yards per punt. He had a couple of short ones but five of them sailed over 50 yards. Four were fair caught and three were returned for only 13 yards. We have a punter!

- We were 10 for 23 in third down conversions and are now 18 of 41 on the season (44%, a nice Syracuse number). Last year we were 34%.

- He didn’t break away but Moe Neal squirted through for a couple of runs that looked like that one against Colgate. It’s just that we weren’t playing Colgate and the “Jimmys and Joes” were there to contain him. But he’s going to get some more this year.

- Jordan Fredericks had 33 yards rushing on 3 carries, (11.0). For the season he had 43 yards on 7 carries, (6.1). For his career he has 650 yards on 114 carries, (5.7). Dontae Strickland had 28 yards on 8 carries (3.5). For the season he’s 17 for 48 (2.7). For his career he’s 38 for 129 (3.4). Just sayin….

- We will play four teams on that talent level: Louisville, Notre Dame, Clemson and Florida State. I’d like to get a “skin” but last night’s game doesn’t make me optimistic about that. But I think the quality of season we have will be based on how we do against the other teams, who won’t have better players all over the field. That’s where I think our new style of play will really pay dividends. I’ll judge this team more by those games than the games like this one.

- Baber’s calm demeanor after the game was hard to read but I hope I’m seeing poise and confidence that, despite the bumps in the road, everything is going to work out all right in the end. If that’s what it is, maybe we should feel the same way.

1-1 with 10+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

was it babers that said stats are for losers??? somewhere in a thread i read that---but do not believe it. u can mold stats anyway u want to---the outcome is the proof

was it babers that said stats are for losers??? somewhere in a thread i read that---but do not believe it. u can mold stats anyway u want to---the outcome is the proof

Some stats are for winners and some are for losers. If the other team had 845 yards, that's a loser for you.

Last edited:
I wonder what the highest over/under for a college football game is? We are headed for games when it will be over 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom