The Upside - Maryland | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Maryland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Well, that was a lot more fun than the football game. In fact, it was everything you’d want a college basketball game to be, back and forth with the lead in the single digits all the way. Both teams had to gather themselves to make comebacks to take multiple times. There were 20 lead changes and 15 ties. There was a some good passing and great shooting by Maryland and some amazing drives to the basket by Syracuse. There were resounding dunks and 20 points off fast breaks. Every rebound and loose ball was contested.

- We don’t have bulky players but we have athletic, long guys who love to rebound. Oshae Brissett not only has long arms but he appears to have big, strong hands. Nobody takes the ball from him. Marel Dolezaj just seems to know where the ball is and has the quickness to get there before anyone else. If he can’t get it he can tip it to a teammate, as he did on the final rebound that clinched the game. Bourama Sidibie has some of the same instincts. Frank Howard likes to get in on the action as well.

- “Frank Howard plays well against bad teams but wait until he plays good teams.” :mad: Firstly, we have been playing good teams. Iona, Texas Southern and Oakland are all favored to win their conferences and Toledo has a shot at the MAC. But tonight, against Maryland he scored our first four points and wound up with 15 points, 10 assists, 7 steals and 5 rebounds. So there.:cool:

- Tyus Battle is the Eric Dungey of this team, toughing out the game because his team needed him and finding ways to make the plays needed to win the game despite his pain. He led the team with 18 points, including our last 9 points. As with Dungey the example he sets will inspire his teammates and I think his presence in the line-up just makes his teammates more confident and play that way.

- Dolezaj continued his aggressive, intelligent play but he actually made some shots tonight and hit double figures with 10 points, one of four Orangemen in double figures. He hit an outside shot that kissed the iron but his most impressive shot to me was a wide-open lay-up under the basket. Most SU players would have grabbed the ball, gather themselves and then gone up against opposition that had time to get there. Marek caught the ball and, in one motion, flipped it over the rim and in. there was no time for anyone to react. Orange is the new fast.

6-0 with 25+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
Ellis made a comment last night that both teams were preseason ranked middle of the pack for their respective conferences and after watching the game, he thinks that people need to rethink that. I have to disagree. I think last nights game is a typical well played game between evenly matched teams. Like you said, had everything you want to see in a college game and that what makes college ball so good. 2 evenly matched D3 teams can play as exciting a game as #1 vs #2 D1 teams. Thats why I like college b-ball above everything else.

Ellis made a comment last night that both teams were preseason ranked middle of the pack for their respective conferences and after watching the game, he thinks that people need to rethink that. I have to disagree. I think last nights game is a typical well played game between evenly matched teams. Like you said, had everything you want to see in a college game and that what makes college ball so good. 2 evenly matched D3 teams can play as exciting a game as #1 vs #2 D1 teams. Thats why I like college b-ball above everything else.

I agree. My guess is that we will play a lot of games like this. Our D will keep us in most games, and our O will have to figure out how to win. This year is going to be tough on my fingernails.

If we can get through the OOC at about 11-2 or even 10-3 and then hold our own in the ACC, we'll be tourney bound.

The way te team looked during the 2 exhibition games, I was very afraid they'd be lucky to bee .500 by ACC. Now 10 - 3 does not seem unrealistic.

- Well, that was a lot more fun than the football game. In fact, it was everything you’d want a college basketball game to be, back and forth with the lead in the single digits all the way. Both teams had to gather themselves to make comebacks to take multiple times. There were 20 lead changes and 15 ties. There was a some good passing and great shooting by Maryland and some amazing drives to the basket by Syracuse. There were resounding dunks and 20 points off fast breaks. Every rebound and loose ball was contested.

- We don’t have bulky players but we have athletic, long guys who love to rebound. Oshae Brissett not only has long arms but he appears to have big, strong hands. Nobody takes the ball from him. Marel Dolezaj just seems to know where the ball is and has the quickness to get there before anyone else. If he can’t get it he can tip it to a teammate, as he did on the final rebound that clinched the game. Bourama Sidibie has some of the same instincts. Frank Howard likes to get in on the action as well.

- “Frank Howard plays well against bad teams but wait until he plays good teams.” :mad: Firstly, we have been playing good teams. Iona, Texas Southern and Oakland are all favored to win their conferences and Toledo has a shot at the MAC. But tonight, against Maryland he scored our first four points and wound up with 15 points, 10 assists, 7 steals and 5 rebounds. So there.:cool:

- Tyus Battle is the Eric Dungey of this team, toughing out the game because his team needed him and finding ways to make the plays needed to win the game despite his pain. He led the team with 18 points, including our last 9 points. As with Dungey the example he sets will inspire his teammates and I think his presence in the line-up just makes his teammates more confident and play that way.

- Dolezaj continued his aggressive, intelligent play but he actually made some shots tonight and hit double figures with 10 points, one of four Orangemen in double figures. He hit an outside shot that kissed the iron but his most impressive shot to me was a wide-open lay-up under the basket. Most SU players would have grabbed the ball, gather themselves and then gone up against opposition that had time to get there. Marek caught the ball and, in one motion, flipped it over the rim and in. there was no time for anyone to react. Orange is the new fast.

6-0 with 25+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

On that quick release you mentioned from Dolezaj (I declare I will spell that differently all year long), the shot clock was winding down and he had the presence of mind to do everything you said. Very, very intelligent player. And loves to mix it up. He needs to get stronger so he can corral more rebounds, but he's got nice hops and knows where the ball will be.

70 is our magic number. Not sure we have the O to win many games where people are scoring much over 70.

Orange is the new fast! Let’s hope they keep playing this way and your motto may be on everyone’s lips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom