The Upside - Miami | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Miami

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The first half.

- I’m tempted to stop there but I suppose you want some details. Our team played the beat basketball they’ve played all year in the first half. We were moving the ball, hitting our shots, taking care of the ball and playing very active defense, as well as dominating the boards.

- The other team always decides to “Stop Buddy”

but the rest of the team has failed to take advantage of the extra defensive attention he gets. Tonight, (in the first half), they did. Joe Girard burned ‘em. Jesse Edwards burned ‘em. Cole Swider hit a couple of threes. Even Benny Williams. Hit one. Buddy only hit a single three towards the end of the half. I thought he’d have a huge second half because now the defense was going to have cover everybody equally.

- There’s lots of fancy numbers because it was ahigh scoring game and the box score loves offense. Joe Girard had a big comeback game with 26 points, including 7 of 12 threes. He often worked in tandem with Smyir Torrance, allowing Joe to play the 2 guard, for which his skill set was designed. And, while we had an absurd number of turnovers as team, (19), Sym and Joe only had one each. It was everybody else who was screwing up.

- Miami had no answer for Jesse Edwards, who continues to develop as if he were a corona virus. He had 22 points, 8 rebounds, 7 blocks, 2 steals and 2 assists. Unfortunately, he also had 6 turnovers. I thought he was going for a quadruple-double.

- I’ve always been amazed at how teams trying to catch us in the final minute suddenly go crazy from three-point range. Well, Cole Swider did that for us in this game, hitting contested threes with four and then one second left. Too little, too late but it was fun. He wound up with 20 points, making it an historically rare SU game with three 20 point scorers.

- Torrence had 6 assists in 14 minutes, giving him 43 in 166 minutes this season. That’s 10.4 assists per 40 minutes. We had 21 assists in this game.

- We also won the battle of the boards, 37-34.

- If someone had told you that we were going to lose 87-88 to a team that had won 7 games in a row, you would have been disappointed and frustrated but still viewed it as a positive performance for SU as a team and made you hopeful that we were turning things around. Well, that’s what happened. The problem is, as they often say: In life it’s not the destination it’s the journey.

7-7 with 17+ to go.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom