The Upside - NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- People were talking about SU finally getting the big win it needed. My attitude was that I’ll believe it when I see it. We haven’t made the plays necessary to win games like this all year and we finally did. I began believing when that half-court shot clanged off the rim.

- One more win and we will have clinched a winning season. 21-10 (4-6) would look awfully good to the NCAA committee.

- Jesse Edwards – he’s still having trouble getting past his fellow big men or scoring over them, (he was strictly a pick-and-roll guy before this year). But he can sure put up the number: 18 points, 16 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals. He was also 7 for 8 from the foul line. And the plays he made: the successful trip around Man Mountain Burns, leading to an “and one”. The save of the loose ball to Mintz for the three, the three he made himself at the shot clock buzzer and the charge he drew on Burns that fouled the big guy out. Talk about a “human highlight film”!

- Judah Mintz wasn’t as spectacular as he usually tries to be and maybe that’s why he was much more effective. He hit that big three pointer after Jesse got the ball to him and he almost flipped it in while falling under the basket after a foul. But mostly he looked for this spots and tried to get the ball to his teammates. The result as 20 points on 7 for 12 shooting and 9 assists to 1 turnover, an All-American level performance.

- Joe Girard lost his shooting touch in the second half and wound up 5 for 14 but he was the one who led the comeback from an 0-11 first half turn that put us behind 10-19 to give us the lead at halftime 35-31.

- Maliq Brown had a Maliq Brown game, cleaning up other people’s missed, (5 for 6 from the field) to wind up with 10 points and 6 rebounds.

- Chris Bell had a decent game with 11 points and 3 rebounds. Those games are coming more frequently now. (I still think Justin Taylor is better).

- 21 fast break points to 13. Basketball like it oughta be.

16-10 (9-6 in conference) with 5+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

I haven’t watched a single game twice this entire season. (I used to do that regularly before “The Fall.”) But I am going to watch this one again. Being in the Dome during a close game is so nerve-wracking and it will be nice to watch the game without my stomach in my throat.

It was fun to be in the crowd, who were in the game bigly. When Jesse made that 3 the entire Dome leapt to its feet. The students began chanting “JESSE. JESSE. JESSE.” When we won the game there were cheers aplenty. The students were under-represented. As my daughter said, if they are celebrating Valentine’s Day they can celebrate it at 9:30! Tsk.

Bell is playing much better defense. He was there for a couple rebounds that ultimately went to Edwards. Edwards is much better on his timing for defensive boards and often soars over everyone. Bell and Brown had a lot of deflections even if they didn't end up a steal. I think that's the biggest improvement I see.

What I love about Brown is he just knows how to rebound. He instinctively knows where the ball is going to come off if the shot is missed and he moves at the release to get to the right position. Bell is making progress too in knowing where to be in the zone rotations. His defense is improving. It's asking a lot of this kid who looks like he's maybe 175 lbs to rebound on the front line against ACC players that are all 30-40 lbs heavier. I like his future potential if he can put on 15 lbs of muscle. He needs an intensive offseason weight program.

We won when we needed a win!​

20E6941A-4CD2-4AF4-A14B-89D6D9A34838.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom