The Upside: NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside: NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Tonight was not the night.

- Is this really happening? Did Rakeem Christmas really steal the ball and get it to Tyler Ennis, who got it to CJ Fair, who put it off the glass and watched it make the tour a couple of times for the winning shot? (Actually, while writing this I saw on the news it didn’t go through- the winner was a goaltending call.) Yes they did and somehow we are 25-0. 25-0!!!

- The best thing about college sports is watching the player mature. Rakeem Christmas is the only active McDonald’s All-American we’ve got, (hopefully we’ll be talking about DaJuan Coleman like this in a year). He’s blossoming like a time-lapse flower right now. Eveyr game he shows us something we haven’t seen before. He deftly hit a 15 footer on one first half possession, then dribbled about his man for a dunk the next time down. All of a sudden it’s like we’ve got two Jerami Grants in there. And, of course, Rak got the bog steal that gave us a chance to win the game. He wound up with a career high 14 points, a double-double with 10 rebounds and 7 blocks .He was also 6 for 6 from, the line and looked good doing it. But that steal was the play of the game.

- Grant struggled through the first half, going 1 for 5 from the floor. But he was a monster in the second half with 10 points and 7 rebounds. Like Christmas, he had a double-double on the evening with 12 points and 14 boards.

- CJ couldn’t throw it in the ocean but he did make some good moves to the basket late in the first half, grab five rebounds, block two shots and make a steal. And his shot won it, even if it didn’t actually go through the hoop. Everybody should have such a lousy night.

- Give credit where it’s due. NC State came in here after a long, problematic trip and took it to the #1 team in the country for 40 minutes. They are a running team and beat us down court a few times. But they showed the patience to attack a zone and did so with a minimal perimeter game. The refs were not very kind to them. And yet they almost won. Did they deserve to win? No. They missed too many free throws and made some critical mistakes at the end. But you had to be impressed. (To me praising the other team is an Upside, not a Downside.)

- Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Actually, you have to score more points than the other team. But defense keeps you in games and gives you a chance to win them, even when you aren’t playing well on the other end. The toher teams can’t run and hide. 49-44, 57-45, 59-54, 64-52, 61-55, 57-44, 58-56, 56-55.

- We beat NC State. I LOVE beating NC State.

25-0, (12-0), with 6+ to go

Let’s Go Orange!

"He’s blossoming like a time-lapse flower right now." Pure poetry!

I was so confused by the end of the game. I saw that CJ's bucket started going in, then fell out. I thought we had lost! I didn't realize it was a goal tending call until I got home. I kept saying, "What's happened? Why did we win?" Now I feel a little less demented, but not much.

Great write up, SWC!

"He’s blossoming like a time-lapse flower right now." Pure poetry!

I was so confused by the end of the game. I saw that CJ's bucket started going in, then fell out. I thought we had lost! I didn't realize it was a goal tending call until I got home. I kept saying, "What's happened? Why did we win?" Now I feel a little less demented, but not much.

Great write up, SWC!

I thought it went though and didn't know it didn't until I got home. I guess we were all pretty confused after that game.

Why we love college sports:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom