The Upside- North Florida | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- North Florida

SWC75

Bored Historian
- People will little note nor long remember what happened tonight but this was a big win. We have no slack as far as getting another winning record or certainly getting to the NCAA tournament. We need wins and plenty of them. The one thing we hadn’t done was lose to a non-power conference team, (which several top teams have done). This was a dangerous team. They lacked size but were a clever passing, excellent shooting team leading the nation in three pointers, (they made 17 tonight). They played aggressive defense and went after offensive rebounds. Their record against power conference teams was about the same as ours and they lost to Iowa by 15: we lost to the Hawkeyes by 14. This was a game where we will not be given any credit for winning because we were supposed to win it but we could easily have lost it. Instead, we pulled away in the second half and made the plays down the stretch to win it. If we go on to have a good season and achieve some of our goals nobody will talk about this game but it was a big and very necessary win.

- Jim, in his presser pointed out that we’ve just played a team with two good inside players and no outside game and three days later we played a team with no inside game that leads the country in threes. We won both games by 12 points.

- When Marek Dolezaj fouled out and Quincy Guerrier had to come in, I had visions of the end of the half against Georgetown. But Quincy did what he needs to- go aggressively to the boards. He used his muscle for get key rounds, showed the ability to score in traffic, (he doesn’t seem to have a lot of hops but he’s good at flipping the ball in over people), and he made enough of his free throws to not only maintain the lead but control of the game. He wound up with 10 points and 7 rebounds in just 16 minutes.

- This was the ideal game for a player of Marek Dolezaj’s talents. UNF was so extended on defense that Marek had room to roam in the middle. It was easy to get the ball to him and it was easy for him to get the ball to whatever teammate had the best shot. Marek wound up with 17 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists and 3 steals. Now that’s a good night’s work.

- Joe Girard is a freshman playing point guard for the first time. Tonight he had 14 points, 6 assists and 1 turnover. Fir the year he’s averaging 11.4p 4.8a 2.2to. I’ll take it.

- Elijah Hughes was held in check for much of the game but after Marek went out JB went to an offense with him circling around, getting the ball and driving to the basket. He got a three point play and a great assist to Sidibie out of it. He led us in scoring with 18 even though he was only 1 for 5 from three point range.

- Buddy Boeheim hit 4 of his 10 treys, (same as Girard), for 16 points to go with 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. Who said he’s not an all-around player?

- The game was a chess match between the coaches and great display of basketball skills: passing, shooting, driving, ball handling. It was fun to watch.

- The crowd, as Jim said, was in it from the beginning and made a difference. It’s more fun that way.

7-5 with 19+ to be done
LET’S GO ORANGE!

Let's hear them.
Sure, from reading the box scores I have 3 trenchant insights:

Marek won the game
North Florida doesn't play defense.
Guerrier had a break through.

I chose a Christmas party over the game, an atypical abandonment of my boys! I suspect the crowd was partly motivated by Boeheim’s comments. I am also sure the Baldwinsville band helped. They are terrific and fun!

SWC, I watched the second half and thought of you when, towards the end of the game, NFla deliberately fouled Joe!

I chose a Christmas party over the game, an atypical abandonment of my boys! I suspect the crowd was partly motivated by Boeheim’s comments. I am also sure the Baldwinsville band helped. They are terrific and fun!

SWC, I watched the second half and thought of you when, towards the end of the game, NFla deliberately fouled Joe!

JB complains about the crowd once a year, usually in December.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom